+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship- missed flagpole day

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Applied for citizenship, but did not declare the day of becoming PR as a day I left Canada. I did flagpole without going to US border.

Is this an issue ? Should I inform ircc about this ?

Applied 16th Oct, Aor 31st, in process since Nov 24.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Applied for citizenship, but did not declare the day of becoming PR as a day I left Canada. I did flagpole without going to US border.

Is this an issue ? Should I inform ircc about this ?

Applied 16th Oct, Aor 31st, in process since Nov 24.
How did you flagpole without going to the border ?

Quebecoise

Nov 10, 2017
It was the same thing for me. I didnt declare flagpole day, i just didnt think about it.
So far, i didnt get an answer and i think we should have to.
I saw somebody in the forum that during his interview, he was told he missed his flagpole day and they may check into it.
My interview is two weeks later so i prepare myself to have some question about it.
I hope it is not going to be a major issue.
Good luck!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Just took a u turn at peace bridge. There's a sign return to Canada.
I must've missed that sign. I too flagpoled in 2014 at Peace bridge, maybe they removed it ? I had to go to the US side and get a yellow paper from them. They turned me around.

Edit: nvm now I remember. People on this forum were saying that some Canadian border officials refuse to process your landing if you don't actually go to the US side. Since I had a US visa, I decided to get the paper and then turn around.

It was the same thing for me. I didnt declare flagpole day, i just didnt think about it.
So far, i didnt get an answer and i think we should have to.
I saw somebody in the forum that during his interview, he was told he missed his flagpole day and they may check into it.
My interview is two weeks later so i prepare myself to have some question about it.
I hope it is not going to be a major issue.
Good luck!
IMO, I don't think it's a big deal.

Edit 2: @oceanidmiao just confirmed they got Decision Made, despite not mentioning flagpole on the online calculator.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I must've missed that sign. I too flagpoled in 2014 at Peace bridge, maybe they removed it ? I had to go to the US side and get a yellow paper from them. They turned me around.

Edit: nvm now I remember. People on this forum were saying that some Canadian border officials refuse to process your landing if you don't actually go to the US side. Since I had a US visa, I decided to get the paper and then turn around.

IMO, I don't think it's a big deal.

Edit 2: @oceanidmiao just confirmed they got Decision Made, despite not mentioning flagpole on the online calculator.

When you had a USA Visa, then why did you even get the yellow paper, is that something i am missing? You should have entered usa, have done some quick grocery shopping(optional) and returned Canada.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
When you had a USA Visa, then why did you even get the yellow paper, is that something i am missing? You should have entered usa, have done some quick grocery shopping(optional) and returned Canada.
They asked me the purpose of my visit, and I said I want to enter Buffalo and then return to Canada to land as a PR. They said no need to enter, they can just let me turn around and issue a paper, using which I can get processed. So I just did that. No point arguing with them.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
They asked me the purpose of my visit, and I said I want to enter Buffalo and then return to Canada to land as a PR. They said no need to enter, they can just let me turn around and issue a paper, using which I can get processed. So I just did that. No point arguing with them.
Makes sense.

I think if you have entered USA stating you need to do shopping or something and then returned to Canada, CBSA could have processed your landing unless they need some kind of documentation like some paperwork from USA

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Makes sense.

I think if you have entered USA stating you need to do shopping or something and then returned to Canada, CBSA could have processed your landing unless they need some kind of documentation like some paperwork from USA
Well my intention was to enter, because I was worried that yellow paper means denial of entry and could affect any future visits to US. I could've lied and said I want to go for shopping, but I went around 1am. They maybe would've suspected something is up, plus didn't really wanna lie to them. In the end it worked out. I have visited the US post my landing, and never had issues.

PhDstudent

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
yes they asked me about it, i was suprised tbh because I did not think getting out of Canada for 2 minutes would count since it's all in the same day? However the officer saw the stamp in the passport and asked me about what was that, then I explained it to her and she said fine.

energym

Aug 18, 2014
I too forgot about it, I waited till I got my AOR and sent an letter using the webform.
It would a good idea if you can get entry/exit records like I-94 from CBP, but if you can't don't stress yourself, from the look of it lot of people forget about that sneaky flagpole trip.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I too forgot about it, I waited till I got my AOR and sent an letter using the webform.
It would a good idea if you can get entry/exit records like I-94 from CBP, but if you can't don't stress yourself, from the look of it lot of people forget about that sneaky flagpole trip.
The OP did not even go to USA for flagpoling and just returned to Canada without flagpoling which means i94 wont show anything about that specific date however the OP on his discretion can submit the webform or notify IRCC about the flagpole event

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
The US side did an "administrative refusal" by giving yellow paper to return to Canada. This does not impact visa or future travel to US as it is a facilitation gesture. So there's nothing negative there.
Why would flagpoling be considered an absence from Canada? You just crossed the border for few minutes or maybe an hour, so your day and night is still in Canada so it's not going to count as an absence. CIC knows you became PR on that day and entered Canada and remained here so not sure what the fuss is about. I wouldn't worry about this.