+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interviews - Tips, Recent experiencess and impressions

speedtex

Star Member
Apr 28, 2012
Hi Dpenabill
Thanks for your valuable input. A part from the prohibition form, the officer made me sign another document which the content she covered. The only part I could see was where I was supposed to sign. Do you have another Idea what this could be?
Ok this is really weird, why would you even sign a form you had no understanding of its contents?

And why would a govt official cover up a form for you to sign? I would have challenged that behaviour, right on the spot.

Unless the second form contained some sort of protected information. Even so, that officer should have explained the second form you were signing.

The only form I signed at the end of my interview which I would hope everyone else signed, was the verification of noProhibition form, Its color was white and contained same questions from question 16 of the original application form CIT0002E

Last edited:
Reactions: qorax

speedtex

Star Member
Apr 28, 2012
Certainly my question wasn’t understood properly. I was merely asking if that form is signed by everyone, or, to rephrase, if, at the end of the interview, a form is asked to be signed. I clearly remember that the form stateded that all the information furnished are true.

So, does everyone signs a ‘white form’ at the end of the interview?

Appreciate the long answer, but my question remains unanswered.
Yeah this is routine, I signed that same form.

Last edited:

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok this is really weird, why would you even sign a form you had no understanding of its contents?

And why would a govt official cover up a form for you to sign? I would have challenged that behaviour, right on the spot.

Unless the second form contained some sort of protected information. Even so, that officer should have explained the second form you were signing.

The only form I signed at the end of my interview which I would hope everyone else signed, was the verification of noProhibition form, Its color was white and contained same questions from question 16 of the original application form CIT0002E
You are right, i should have asked the officer what i was signing. Is there something i can do about it?

speedtex

Star Member
Apr 28, 2012
You are right, i should have asked the officer what i was signing. Is there something i can do about it?
Nothing much you can do at this point. I'd say wait, be patience to hear back from IRCC on the next step, and let everything play out naturally. Signing a form is unlikely to harm your application in any way, as long as you completely meet all the requirements of becoming a citizen. Don't worry too much. Goodluck.

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing much you can do at this point. I'd say wait, be patience to hear back from IRCC on the next step, and let everything play out naturally. Signing a form is unlikely to harm your application in any way, as long as you completely meet all the requirements of becoming a citizen. Don't worry too much. Goodluck.
Thanks. I believe its not a good sign since the female officer was unfriendly from the start and in the end she said she will review my file and make a decision. Will see whatever her decision is.

TAMRICO

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks. I believe its not a good sign since the female officer was unfriendly from the start and in the end she said she will review my file and make a decision. Will see whatever her decision is.
Just want to share. At the end of my interview yesterday I was also asked to sign a form that was covered with a paper by an officer. On the top of the box (where I was putting my signature) it was written in a small font something like "I confirm that information I provided in my application is true." Today I had my application status changed to Decision Made which I believe is a sign that my application is approved.
Good luck in your process amigo:)

Reactions: rasmy

speedtex

Star Member
Apr 28, 2012
which office is this?

Jun-San

Sep 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2013
AOR Received.
08-03-2013
Med's Request
02-12-2013
Med's Done....
04-12-2013
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
02-01-2014
I just did my test today 20/20 and also signed this form which the officer covered the top half of the page and I just sign on the line. He mentioned signing this confirms that everything I provided during the interview is true. And at the end he said he doesn’t have any concern and I should receive to do the oath in 1-2 months.
I was kind thrown off by signing this extra form since everything was signed off in the application. But hopefully everything is fine.
Btw it’s the Mississauga office.

Reactions: rasmy

speedtex

Star Member
Apr 28, 2012
I just did my test today 20/20 and also signed this form which the officer covered the top half of the page and I just sign on the line. He mentioned signing this confirms that everything I provided during the interview is true. And at the end he said he doesn’t have any concern and I should receive to do the oath in 1-2 months.
I was kind thrown off by signing this extra form since everything was signed off in the application. But hopefully everything is fine.
Btw it’s the Mississauga office.

Well, im guessing this covering of forms is a new trend. Not a big deal either, I think.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for your valuable input. A part from the prohibition form, the officer made me sign another document which the content she covered. The only part I could see was where I was supposed to sign. Do you have another Idea what this could be?
I do not. Maybe others who have attended an interview more recently have an idea.

Odds are good there is no foul, no harm done. So long as, of course, you have honestly provided accurate information, are qualified for citizenship, and have no prohibitions.

It is futile to caution everyone to always read a document before signing it. We don't. It is that simple. We sign many, many documents we do not read. The lawyer's admonition "never sign a document you have not read" is at best impractical.

BUT NOT ALL DOCUMENTS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

See my previous post, the one above prior to the post you quote, and the part about signing documents.

AT THE LEAST, never sign a document unless and until you have some understanding of what it is you are signing. That understanding may be little more than an assurance from someone you trust (many if not most of us will trust the IRCC interviewer), depending on the context. Signing government documents, however, often entails more than agreeing to something, or acknowledging something. They often involve verifying information. Under penalty of law.

At the least, KNOW WHAT IT IS YOU ARE SIGNING. Few if any of us will actually read before signing. There is no time to do that even if we want to. But it is important to have some understanding of what it is you are signing.

I understand that in the setting of an interview with a citizenship processing agent (who sometimes may even be the Citizenship Officer responsible for the case) there is an element of authority if not intimidation while, at the same time, the conversation is proceeding quickly so that even if the applicant hears and knows the words being said, the applicant might not fully understand everything said. Even if the applicant's first language is the same as the language used in the interview, let alone if it isn't.

There is a tendency to affirm even if it is not entirely clear what the applicant is affirming.

If and when to ask an interviewer to repeat or clarify something can be a difficult question. It is of course a very personal decision. Trying and succeeding to be tactful and polite can be difficult (again, even if conversing in one's first language, but especially so if not).

So I cannot suggest how to go about these things without the risk of wrinkling, that is intensely personal. BUT I can say that to proceed through the interview without understanding significant parts of it, such as what a document is that is being signed, can be risky. Again, for the applicant who has honestly provided accurate information, who is qualified, and who has no prohibitions, the odds are very good no harm, no foul. Interviewers are not in the business of tricking or trapping applicants. Probability is that ALL IS WELL. But proceeding informed is almost always less risky than otherwise.

Jun-San

Sep 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2013
AOR Received.
08-03-2013
Med's Request
02-12-2013
Med's Done....
04-12-2013
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
02-01-2014

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I just did my test today 20/20 and also signed this form which the officer covered the top half of the page and I just sign on the line. He mentioned signing this confirms that everything I provided during the interview is true.
At the end of my interview yesterday I was also asked to sign a form that was covered with a paper by an officer. On the top of the box (where I was putting my signature) it was written in a small font something like "I confirm that information I provided in my application is true."

Generally I try to limit my speculation to matters I am fairly confident about, and thus I responded above that I have "no idea" what the document was.

But I can say that these observations make sense. (For some reason I did not see many of the posts here before I posted my response above.)

I have not seen a copy of the actual File Requirements Checklist in use since the copy shared in 2012. This is a confidential document which is not shared with the public . . . it does not even become part of the certified tribunal record when there is an appeal. So it is possible this is part of that or otherwise part of the form which the interviewer is making notes or comments on during the course of the interview, and thus the interviewer covers that information . . . and what the applicant needs to know is that he or she is verifying the accuracy of the information submitted.

That is, what the applicant's signature is for is stated right there, probably in small font, affirming or verifying the information the applicant has provided is accurate.

As I noted in my previous post, the interviewer should at least say what it is that the applicant is signing. BUT it is also quite likely that this is all done quite quickly, no particular emphasis or explanation beyond a cursory reference to verifying the information submitted. Most of us trust the interviewer.

Again, odds are high ALL IS WELL. But of course, again, that is dependent on the applicant having in fact provided accurate information, being qualified, and having no prohibitions.

Rarely a good idea to "challenge" a bureaucrat simply because you do not fully understand a request.

The PI interview is just that, a Program Integrity Interview. The interviewer's role is to verify the information, from verifying the applicant's identity to verifying the applicant's supporting documents. In the course of this the interviewer is screening for any information or clue that something is not accurate or is otherwise incongruous. The interviewer does not try to trick or trap the applicant. It really is a verification of information process.

Thus, it is not a hearing. The interview is NOT adversarial.

It would be foolish to "challenge" the interviewer. (With some exceptions. Rather unusual exceptions.)

On the other hand, the applicant may want, or NEED, to ask the interviewer to repeat or clarify something. Example: "what am I signing?"

As I previously suggested, if and when to do so can be a bit tricky. It can be especially tricky if at first a request to repeat, clarify, or explain something does not elicit a sufficient response. Being both persistent and polite demands some tact if not restraint. But it is imperative, if at all possible, to remain polite and NOT confrontational. Pushing what is merely a program integrity interview toward an adversarial confrontation tends to be less than productive.

This can be especially challenging for an applicant if the language being spoken is not his or her first language.

Moreover, many applicants may naturally hesitate to ask that something be repeated or clarified, recognizing that the interview is in part also verifying the applicant's ability in the official language.

But it will almost always be OK to make a polite request to repeat or clarify something. Like "what is this I am signing?"

Reactions: speedtex and rasmy

avro1959

Sep 13, 2014
Hello folks, I thought I should share my experience of the test and interview that I had in Calgary.

For reference, I applied in November 2017, with 1233 days of physical presence. I also have a ridiculous number of absences - approx. 600 days over 80 trips - mostly due to business trips, and I have been anxious at the thought of getting a RQ. Hopefully the description of events below helps other individuals in similar situations understand what they can expect.

Getting there

Appointment was at 1pm. Drove down to Harry Hays underground parkade at around 12:30pm; parking is expensive, but you just have to bite the bullet. Took the elevator to the 2nd floor and followed the signs to the Citizenship and Immigration area. There was a line-up already, but a colleague of mine advised that you don't really need to be an eager beaver - the test only starts when everyone is in the room.

The test

The staff member shows us inside and we wait in a hallway that has old black and white images of past immigrants. There are three desks with staff members who call people one-by-one to check your invitation letter. They give you the answer sheet, instructions on filling out the top box, a pencil, and directions to the examination hall.

The exam hall is not as formal as one would imagine; it appears to be the same hall that they use for citizenship ceremonies. As you enter, you're asked to sit at any chair with a table-top. These are spaced out in the room. At this point, you may have to wait 10-15 minutes until everyone makes their way into the hall. There were about 25-30 people writing the test.

After everyone is seated, a staff member up front reads out the instructions, procedures and rules of the test. They advised us to identify any dates that we're not available for the citizenship ceremony, on the side of the answer sheet. They then come around to give you the questions. Once everyone has a question sheet, they start the exam. When you're done, you can hand in your answer sheet, question sheet and pencil and take a seat on the side. My recommendation is to finish your exam as quickly as you comfortably can and hand in your answer sheet. The line-up for the interviews can be long. However, re-check your answers once or twice as you don't really want to fail the test. The staff member said if you fail the test, you'll be invited for another test in 6-8 weeks. I don't know if that's true, but it's a scary thought.

The interview

I was third to finish the test so I didn't have to wait long for them to call my name. A staff member led me back to the original line leading up to the three desks. The desks are separated by dividers, so don't expect any privacy. While in the line, you can hear all the interview questions being asked to the folks ahead of you.

They call your name, you go up to the desk. I was greeted by a friendly lady who asked me to take out all my passports (including expired passports), PR card, driver's license, and proof of language ability. I asked her if she really needed to see my expired passports as they were outside the range of residency in Canada. She said yes; so I dug out those old passports and handed them over. For those who had doubts about this, now you know. She reviewed just the biographical pages of the old passports and handed them back to me.

She then told me that the CBSA had requested an entry log for me and she had it in front of her. It appears that prior to the interview she had cross-referenced every entry record on the CBSA log against the trips/dates that I declared in the Physical Presence Calculator print-out. With great relief, I saw the check-marks against every record and she even commented that she had never seen such a long list of absences so perfectly recorded! In her words, I was "spot-on". I said "phew thank God, I brought all my boarding passes just in case". But she was happy enough with the information she had so she didn't want to see my boarding passes. She did not flip through the pages and stamps in my passport either. I assume this is because she was already confident that my dates were accurate.

She then asked me to review the prohibitions list and sign to indicate that none of them apply and that all the information provided is accurate. Some people have commented that the officer generally covers the top-half of the sheet when asking you to sign; I did not have this experience. She gave me the whole sheet, asked me to read it and then sign. In the mean-time, she was looking through my application.

After I signed the sheet, she reviewed the dates that I indicated I was going to be away and asked me where I was going (this is in order to schedule the oath). I have one international trip followed by a domestic trip. She said she would schedule the oath after my international trip and clarified that I do not need my PR card for my domestic trip. She was quite amused by the excessive travel I do for work. She asked me what I do for work and the company I work for. She noted this down in a sheet in a file. Then she started giving me advice on how to apply for a passport after my oath. She was concerned that I may not get a new passport in time to meet my work travel obligations! She also mentioned that the citizenship ceremonies are currently being scheduled for mid-August to September.

Finally she says - "everything checks out, your application looks good, you passed your test so congratulations" and then lets me know that I will receive an e-mail with my oath date. At that point, I collected my documents and left. Overall I had a good experience with a very friendly officer.

Key takeaways from my experience:
1. Take all expired passports.
2. Ensure all your dates in your physical presence calculator print-out are accurate. (I took a copy with me).
3. The officer is trying to establish the credibility of your application during the short interview and has also done their home-work ahead of time. If you think that one of the dates you declared is incorrect, it wouldn't hurt to take some evidence to back it up. Provide that evidence if they bring up the discrepancy. I was very nervous so I took my entire stack of boarding passes with me, cross-referenced to each of the trips in the physical presence calculator print-out.

Let me know if you have any questions; and apologies for the wordy post!

Reactions: ryanguy90 and qorax

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
Hello folks, I thought I should share my experience of the test and interview that I had in Calgary.

For reference, I applied in November 2017, with 1233 days of physical presence. I also have a ridiculous number of absences - approx. 600 days over 80 trips - mostly due to business trips, and I have been anxious at the thought of getting a RQ. Hopefully the description of events below helps other individuals in similar situations understand what they can expect.

Getting there

Appointment was at 1pm. Drove down to Harry Hays underground parkade at around 12:30pm; parking is expensive, but you just have to bite the bullet. Took the elevator to the 2nd floor and followed the signs to the Citizenship and Immigration area. There was a line-up already, but a colleague of mine advised that you don't really need to be an eager beaver - the test only starts when everyone is in the room.

The test

The staff member shows us inside and we wait in a hallway that has old black and white images of past immigrants. There are three desks with staff members who call people one-by-one to check your invitation letter. They give you the answer sheet, instructions on filling out the top box, a pencil, and directions to the examination hall.

The exam hall is not as formal as one would imagine; it appears to be the same hall that they use for citizenship ceremonies. As you enter, you're asked to sit at any chair with a table-top. These are spaced out in the room. At this point, you may have to wait 10-15 minutes until everyone makes their way into the hall. There were about 25-30 people writing the test.

After everyone is seated, a staff member up front reads out the instructions, procedures and rules of the test. They advised us to identify any dates that we're not available for the citizenship ceremony, on the side of the answer sheet. They then come around to give you the questions. Once everyone has a question sheet, they start the exam. When you're done, you can hand in your answer sheet, question sheet and pencil and take a seat on the side. My recommendation is to finish your exam as quickly as you comfortably can and hand in your answer sheet. The line-up for the interviews can be long. However, re-check your answers once or twice as you don't really want to fail the test. The staff member said if you fail the test, you'll be invited for another test in 6-8 weeks. I don't know if that's true, but it's a scary thought.

The interview

I was third to finish the test so I didn't have to wait long for them to call my name. A staff member led me back to the original line leading up to the three desks. The desks are separated by dividers, so don't expect any privacy. While in the line, you can hear all the interview questions being asked to the folks ahead of you.

They call your name, you go up to the desk. I was greeted by a friendly lady who asked me to take out all my passports (including expired passports), PR card, driver's license, and proof of language ability. I asked her if she really needed to see my expired passports as they were outside the range of residency in Canada. She said yes; so I dug out those old passports and handed them over. For those who had doubts about this, now you know. She reviewed just the biographical pages of the old passports and handed them back to me.

She then told me that the CBSA had requested an entry log for me and she had it in front of her. It appears that prior to the interview she had cross-referenced every entry record on the CBSA log against the trips/dates that I declared in the Physical Presence Calculator print-out. With great relief, I saw the check-marks against every record and she even commented that she had never seen such a long list of absences so perfectly recorded! In her words, I was "spot-on". I said "phew thank God, I brought all my boarding passes just in case". But she was happy enough with the information she had so she didn't want to see my boarding passes. She did not flip through the pages and stamps in my passport either. I assume this is because she was already confident that my dates were accurate.

She then asked me to review the prohibitions list and sign to indicate that none of them apply and that all the information provided is accurate. Some people have commented that the officer generally covers the top-half of the sheet when asking you to sign; I did not have this experience. She gave me the whole sheet, asked me to read it and then sign. In the mean-time, she was looking through my application.

After I signed the sheet, she reviewed the dates that I indicated I was going to be away and asked me where I was going (this is in order to schedule the oath). I have one international trip followed by a domestic trip. She said she would schedule the oath after my international trip and clarified that I do not need my PR card for my domestic trip. She was quite amused by the excessive travel I do for work. She asked me what I do for work and the company I work for. She noted this down in a sheet in a file. Then she started giving me advice on how to apply for a passport after my oath. She was concerned that I may not get a new passport in time to meet my work travel obligations! She also mentioned that the citizenship ceremonies are currently being scheduled for mid-August to September.

Finally she says - "everything checks out, your application looks good, you passed your test so congratulations" and then lets me know that I will receive an e-mail with my oath date. At that point, I collected my documents and left. Overall I had a good experience with a very friendly officer.

Key takeaways from my experience:
1. Take all expired passports.
2. Ensure all your dates in your physical presence calculator print-out are accurate. (I took a copy with me).
3. The officer is trying to establish the credibility of your application during the short interview and has also done their home-work ahead of time. If you think that one of the dates you declared is incorrect, it wouldn't hurt to take some evidence to back it up. Provide that evidence if they bring up the discrepancy. I was very nervous so I took my entire stack of boarding passes with me, cross-referenced to each of the trips in the physical presence calculator print-out.

Let me know if you have any questions; and apologies for the wordy post!
Congratulations and good luck for your oath date!!!!

Cheers..

Reactions: qorax