+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interviews - Tips, Recent experiencess and impressions

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
My Husband had his interview this month .they asked him about his work and what he did since he came here..looked through the passport it was expired and asked him why he didn't renew it ....he asked about me why I'm not applying with him. .he got decision made within 2 days ...for the test he did the practice tests online only..he got 19/20
Thanks for sharing your husband's experience!

Canehdian Girl

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hi,
I had my test today. First they checked the notice to appear and PR card, then they gave answer sheet and a pencil. I would say we were about 30-40 people.They gave us instructions about the test and asked us not to share questions in the test for the test integrity. All what I can say is that if you read the Discover Canada and did some online tests like I did, you would be fine. I also attended Citizenship classes in the library just so that I feel more comfortable. They tell you that you have 30 minutes to finish the test, I was done in 10 minutes and I scored 19/20. Once everyone was done, they called people by their first name, I am not sure if it was alphabetical order or not. In any case, I met the officer, she said congratulations you got 19/20 then asked for the following to be laid out in front of her on the desk: Passports current and expired within eligibility period, PR card, Driver's license, proof of language and COPR (landing paper). The officer was very nice and she was doing her work professionally checking every stamp on my passport. After she was done, she said it is all good, you should receive an invitation to Oath between 1-3 months.
Can't wait for that day :)
Wish you all the best

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hello

I have my test scheduled on 31 Jan.

I do have all original expect my IELTS result. As it was submitted during PR application under FSW.

Do officers ask original copy after test ? I am assuming they already have it in there system.

Is it ok with copy of IELTS result?

Please share
Same here - i didn't have my original IELTS but it was the same one i used during FSW application (i was the principal applicant)...i wasted $280 to get CELPIP done before the interview just in case - but the officer didn't ask to see any Original Proof of language.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Same here - i didn't have my original IELTS but it was the same one i used during FSW application (i was the principal applicant)...i wasted $280 to get CELPIP done before the interview just in case - but the officer didn't ask to see any Original Proof of language.
Clarification: paper proof is for the application; in person demonstration of ability is necessary at time of test and interview.

In particular, the test and interview are, in part, an examination of the applicant's ability in English or French.

The documentation submitted with the application to show the applicant meets the official language ability/knowledge requirement is specifically what is required to MAKE a citizenship application. In person demonstration of official language ability/knowledge is required to be granted citizenship.

That is, separate and apart from the paper proof submitted the application, the applicant is required to in fact show, at the time of the test and interview, that he or she meets the official language ability/knowledge requirement. Thus, for example, IELTS or CELPIP or a PhD in English, or any documents attesting to the applicant's ability in English, will NOT suffice if the applicant fails, at the time of the test and interview, to demonstrate an ability to communicate in one of the official languages.

Reactions: Petmalulodi

kaladhar

May 25, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
LANDED..........
Feb 3, 2016
Hi,
I had my test today. I was done in 10 minutes and I scored 19/20.
After she was done, she said it is all good, you should receive an invitation to Oath between 1-3 months.
Can't wait for that day :)
Congratulations on your test results!
I hope you get your Oath letter soon.. Good luck! :)

Kal

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Hi was anyone from the group asked to sign a document after the interview? Just wondering because I was.
It’s probably was just the prohibition form asking if you been arrested or any legal problems since you applied for citizenship when I did the test they asked you to sign it before the test interview I guess you didn’t read the form.

atanu4ever

Sep 28, 2017
It’s probably was just the prohibition form asking if you been arrested or any legal problems since you applied for citizenship when I did the test they asked you to sign it before the test interview I guess you didn’t read the form.
There was a green coloured form that I filled up and signed at the doorstep before getting into the test room. The second form was a white form, which I was asked to sign at the end of the interview. Yes I didn’t dad that last form as I was a bit nervous.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The recent discussion about signing a form attendant or following the interview, as others have observed, is most likely about the Prohibitions form. It is of course important that the applicant only sign this form if there are no prohibitions and NONE of the situations in the form apply to the applicant. For those who truthfully addressed these situations in their application and for whom nothing relevant to those situations has changed, signing this form is no big deal, none at all.

But it is indeed hugely important that the applicant is truthfully affirming that none of those situations apply and that the applicant has NO prohibitions. Getting this wrong is perhaps one of the most serious mistakes an applicant can make.

The following observations, about the importance of KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING, are NOT intended to cause alarm, and should not cause alarm.

Almost all qualified applicants understand how important it is to give accurate information in the application and how important their signature on the application (and other IRCC documents) is. The application itself, currently CIT 0002 (10-2017), requires essentially the same information as that required in the Prohibitions form which most (probably all) adult applicants are required to sign later in the process (either attendant the interview or the oath, or both). Assuming the applicant read and understood Item 16 in the application before signing and submitting the application, and nothing relevant to those questions has occurred since applying, no arrests for example, signing the Prohibitions form later in the process can be a perfunctory act without giving the precise content of the Prohibitions form much thought. Indeed, my understanding is that in interviews this form is typically presented or addressed by the interviewer concurrently asking, orally, if anything has changed or happened which might change how the applicant should respond to the Prohibitions questions.

That said, there may be a tendency to approach signing IRCC documents as casually as we approach signing other documents, in other contexts. That would be a mistake. A mistake without consequences for most applicants, applicants who have submitted almost entirely accurate information which has not changed during the time the application was in process. BUT a mistake which can have a HUGE and SERIOUSLY NEGATIVE impact if it results in signing a document that is not truthful (other than minor and non-material mistakes). This is especially true relative to the Prohibitions.

Observation/Caution: Reading and Understanding what you are signing for IRCC is Absolutely Important.

There are important differences between the IRCC documents citizenship applicants sign versus the multitude of documents we sign in the ordinary course of our daily activities and business affairs.

It is far, far more important to know what you are signing when signing IRCC documents for a citizenship application, than it is when signing the scores of other documents we sign in other contexts.

Re most documents we sign:

We sign stuff all the time without reading much if any of it. Much, usually most, often nearly all of it, is boilerplate. Essentially understood even if not read. These are documents in which our signature either effects agreement or acknowledges notice. These are contractual affirmations. At most they constitute a promise. At most they effect contractual or civil obligations (unless the documents are employed to commit fraud, such as signing a bank loan application based on fraudulent information). Even without reading more than a few words, if even that, we have a fair understanding of what it means to sign these documents, ranging from giving up contractual rights to agreeing to something like arbitration if there is a dispute, from acknowledging we have notice of certain policies or fee schedules to acknowledging this or that caveat or warning, from promising to pay this or promising to not do that, albeit a promise we can safely expect to only be enforced reasonably.

Lawyers will invariably advise us to read these documents before signing them, because our signature does indeed bind us, but almost as often as the rest of us those lawyers do not read them either, at least not anywhere near in their entirety.

That is, as a matter of near universal practice, we do not read many if not most documents we sign anywhere near in their entirety. If much at all.

Re IRCC documents citizenship applicants sign:

In contrast, in stark and important contrast, most of the IRCC documents a citizenship applicant signs constitute a verification of information under severe penalties, at the least comparable to penalties for perjury (yes, including prison time), and at the least constituting the verification of information which, if not true, will FOREVER risk the validity of the grant of citizenship.

This is especially true of the Prohibitions form.

I do not have a copy of the currently used Prohibitions form which applicants are typically required to sign at the interview, and often again just before taking the Oath. I believe it is essentially the same as Item 16 in the current application form (CIT 0002 (10-2017).

Unlike a lot of information submitted in the application process, ranging from travel dates to work and address history, an inaccurate or untruthful response to the Prohibitions questions is:
(1) more likely material, a matter of significant importance, and correspondingly treated as such by the government, and
(2) more readily discovered and identified as NOT true (if and when it is indeed not true), and as such more easily proven to be not true (rather easy for the government to discover and prove an undisclosed arrest happened, since there is an official record of the arrest; similarly as to any criminal court action, such as imposition of probation), and THUS
(3) more likely to result in formal proceedings, such as allegation of misrepresentation if discovered prior to taking the oath, or revocation of citizenship if discovered after the oath has been taken​

If a citizenship applicant, or a prospective citizenship applicant, is arrested for a relatively minor albeit potentially serious offence, there is NO CAUSE to panic. BUT it is imperative to handle the situation appropriately and responsibly. It is critical to understand it is NOT IRCC's responsibility to find out about it. Getting to and taking the oath does NOT mean it has worked out OK. In fact that could make matters much worse (note, for example, a misrepresentation discovered during the process, before the oath, results in a further FIVE year prohibition; if the misrepresentation is discovered after the oath, and citizenship is revoked, that results in a TEN YEAR prohibition . . . and make no mistake, a misrepresentation as to the Prohibitions is one of the more likely misrepresentations to be discovered AND prosecuted, including proceedings to revoke citizenship if discovered after the oath has been taken).

If arrested while the application is pending, assume the applicant needs to inform IRCC about it UNLESS a competent lawyer diligently reviews the matter, determines it is not an indictable offence and otherwise does not invoke any prohibition. Since there are so many hybrid offences, which are indictable offences even if likely to be handled as a summary offence ("indictable" because they can be prosecuted by indictment), it is critical to get this right. Relatively minor bad acts can result in an arrest for an indictable offence, triggering a prohibition, and the failure to notify IRCC of this is a BAD MISTAKE, and it would be a really BAD MISTAKE to sign the Prohibitions form. Some applicants in such a scenario may be able to resolve the charges quickly, obtaining a discharge or having the matter resolved as a summary offence without any probation, which can avoid the prohibition; but this can be tricky and for most is something best handled by a competent criminal defense lawyer and reviewed, as to its impact on a citizenship applicant, by a competent immigration and citizenship lawyer. It is imperative to NOTIFY IRCC if the charge constitutes a prohibition, so the applicant needs to either notify IRCC of an arrest or charge, or the applicant needs to be near absolutely certain it has been resolved in such a way that there is NO prohibition. A mistake in this will be a BIG PROBLEM, either soon, or forever hanging over the person's citizenship (consider, for example, a romantic or business relationship going sour ten years later, the other person knows about the criminal charge while the citizenship application was pending, and vengefully gives a tip to the government . . . this is one of the few scenarios in which there is a real risk of proceedings to revoke citizenship, it being so easy to go back, find the records, and prove the case).

atanu4ever

Sep 28, 2017
Certainly my question wasn’t understood properly. I was merely asking if that form is signed by everyone, or, to rephrase, if, at the end of the interview, a form is asked to be signed. I clearly remember that the form stateded that all the information furnished are true.

So, does everyone signs a ‘white form’ at the end of the interview?

Appreciate the long answer, but my question remains unanswered.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Certainly my question wasn’t understood properly. I was merely asking if that form is signed by everyone, or, to rephrase, if, at the end of the interview, a form is asked to be signed. I clearly remember that the form stateded that all the information furnished are true.

Probably. Seems to be an integral part of the process.
I did, and my friends who had a test in Montrel signed them too.

hamour80

Dec 22, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have done my test & interview today morning followed by Oath & Citizenship Ceremony in the afternoon in Edmonton office.

Most of the people had the same thing as they were from remote areas.

Passed the test with perfect score
Test was easy! I read the discover Canada Guide twice and did many online free tests..nothing will come out of the study guide..the majority finished the test in 5-10 min.

The interview was based on first come first serve so I didn't have to wait long time..it was quick interview about 10 min reviewing my paperwork and checking the original passports ( all passport current & expired ) even passports out of the elegibilty period! The officer was very friendly.
She just looked at the first page on the old passports and returned them to me and kept the current one to cross check the stamps with my physical presence record.
I had some stamps traslated ready for her but she didn't ask for anything! The stamps were mixed in English and Arabic language So she might went with the dates as they were in English. I did add in the residency calculator the details of trips with the page number were the stamp is located which made it easy for her to find and match them.
She asked some general questions ; like what do you do for work?
At the end she handed over the Oath invitation for the afternoon.
My daughter 5 years old didn't come with me during the test or interview and she didn't ask anything about her other than her documents.

Thank you all for this forum it was very helpful.

Congratulations to all who had their Citizenship and wish the rest best of luck in your process.

Hopefully; Soon you all will be proud Canadians

Reactions: N_Shine

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Obviously no one can say whether the form you signed is the same form as that signed by anyone else, let alone everyone else, regardless of the colour (colour of form copies tend to vary).

But others can and have said (1) that they signed the Prohibitions form at the interview, and (2) this is the routine procedure (regardless of the specific timing during the interview event . . . not necessarily at the very end of the interview, but part of the interview itself not part of the test or the check-in).

So your question was answered by multiple posts as well as it could be answered (and that was before my post, which was not intended to be an answer to your question but which in large part was spurred by the report about signing an IRCC form without reading it, to emphasize that signing an IRCC form is like giving sworn testimony in court, as in never give an answer for a question you have not heard, meaning it is not like most documents we casually sign).

Only you can say what form you signed, what its content was. And if you do not know, all anyone else can offer is how it routinely goes and what forms are routinely signed.

Thus, as others have said, you "probably" signed the same form others have, the verification of no Prohibitions form. As long as you have had no arrests, no criminal charges, and have not been issued a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report, NO big deal.

Many if not most will be required to sign a very similar form, again, during the check-in process (when candidates surrender their PR card) at the oath ceremony.

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Obviously no one can say whether the form you signed is the same form as that signed by anyone else, let alone everyone else, regardless of the colour (colour of form copies tend to vary).

But others can and have said (1) that they signed the Prohibitions form at the interview, and (2) this is the routine procedure (regardless of the specific timing during the interview event . . . not necessarily at the very end of the interview, but part of the interview itself not part of the test or the check-in).

So your question was answered by multiple posts as well as it could be answered (and that was before my post, which was not intended to be an answer to your question but which in large part was spurred by the report about signing an IRCC form without reading it, to emphasize that signing an IRCC form is like giving sworn testimony in court, as in never give an answer for a question you have not heard, meaning it is not like most documents we casually sign).

Only you can say what form you signed, what its content was. And if you do not know, all anyone else can offer is how it routinely goes and what forms are routinely signed.

Thus, as others have said, you "probably" signed the same form others have, the verification of no Prohibitions form. As long as you have had no arrests, no criminal charges, and have not been issued a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report, NO big deal.

Many if not most will be required to sign a very similar form, again, during the check-in process (when candidates surrender their PR card) at the oath ceremony.
Hi Dpenabill
Thanks for your valuable input. A part from the prohibition form, the officer made me sign another document which the content she covered. The only part I could see was where I was supposed to sign. Do you have another Idea what this could be?