Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
PI interview is standard or "routine" for all adult applicants. Fact that it has not been part of the process for some applicants the last three years is due to Covid. The applicable PDI still states that adult applicants will be interviewed, even though (again) this has been partially suspended in response to covid.

Applicants known or perceived to be abroad for extended periods of time after applying appear to be among those more likely to be interviewed during this transition phase, but noting, again, that IRCC appears on track to resume the interview process for all adult applicants.

Also see post above:
Thanks for the Response. Also In the interview mail request, i see if something documents got changed in the meantime, ask us to send to the their mail id. So Should we send my reneved PR card copy and full scan copy of the the passport as i travelled in the middle of process.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Also In the interview mail request, i see if something documents got changed in the meantime, ask us to send to the their mail id. So Should we send my reneved PR card copy and full scan copy of the the passport as i travelled in the middle of process.
I cannot offer personal advice, for lots of reasons.

Best I can offer is to follow the instructions in the communications you received, and do that as best you can, based on your best understanding of what is asked and your best judgment in applying that to your particular circumstances.

One thing almost all of us tend to do is read requests and related instructions through a personal what-favours-us filter. It helps to be aware of this and to try to be as objective as possible. One approach some may find helpful is to carefully read the request and instructions focused on specifically what it says, and once that is understood (as best you can), only then consider what that means in your particular situation.

I do not know what you have been asked to provide. But generally applicants are required to present certain documents attendant the interview, including ALL passports (including all pages) that could have been used during the eligibility period or since, and their PR card. Some are asked to provide FULL copies (all pages) of ALL such passports, and yes this would mean providing this up to the current day. Applicants are also typically asked to present the original documents they submitted with the application, such as the identification documents submitted.

Citizenship applicants are obligated to notify IRCC of any material changes in the information submitted with the application, and to do that when those changes occur (not just in anticipation of an interview). Nonetheless, I understand that IRCC will sometimes request (remind) applicants to provide any such updates in information. It is obvious many applicants fail to notify IRCC of changes; address where the applicant resides is perhaps one of the most common changes in information that applicants fail to notify IRCC about, and this includes some who have taken up residence outside Canada and are more or less avoiding notifying IRCC of that, largely because it is perceived that could cause additional scrutiny or even trigger non-routine processing and lengthy delays, and they are hoping to avoid that.

So, to the extent there have been changes in the information provided in the application, the applicant should promptly notify IRCC of the changes.

It warrants noting that a lot of the information in the application is historical. That information does not change. Address history and work history, for example, is historical and thus does not change. Current residential address, in contrast, can and for many often does change. Circumstances which could constitute prohibitions are subject to change, so for example if a PR/applicant is charged with a crime, they are obligated to promptly notify IRCC of that.

Reactions: i6evx5e8

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hey folks,

Just received a letter from IRCC requiring me to appear in an interview on MS teams in January 2023. Only my bg and test are complete and because i took the test from outside Canada, i was asked to submit full scans of my passport and government issued id on November 17, 2022 which I submitted on November 23, 2022.

Now i am back in Canada and I already informed ircc about my return with boarding pass and travel itinerary serving as proof of my return.

What should i expect in this interview? Anyone else have gone through this situation? Kindly share your experience as i have no idea why is this required at this stage. Any feedback in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
It's probably been said numerous times that interviews were the norm before covid for all adult applicants, so it should not come as a surprise, if they are being reinstated. Especially critical if you have a history of time spent outside Canada during your eligibility period. Whether the interview is required or not, is not for me to decide or comment on.

All info here is pre-covid. My wife and children applied before I did. Wife & daughter cleared the test (they did not have a travel history during their eligibility period). The interview lasted about 30 minutes. As a family we had visited a country which was the home country of the interviewing officer. He saw the visa stamped on their passport, was thrilled that she had been there and spent almost the entire period talking about the trip, liked / disliked etc. My adult daughter was asked about her university and the program she was enrolled in. Job done.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I had the same officer going by the initials and ethnicity. From the beginning, it was a disaster. Bad vibes, his body language and choice of words. It got argumentative, because of my travel history and the next thing I knew I was given a laundry list of documents to submit to prove my RO. A few days later, the world shut down due to Covid. Long story short, it took two years for me to finally take oath after the interview.

This is not to scare you, rather, suggest to be completely transparent and truthful and state facts even though they may appear weird to you. Ensure that you have enough evidence that you have fulfilled your RO especially since you were outside Canada while your application was being processed. If you have non-Eng/Fr stamps on your passport, make sure they are translated. All evidence should cross reference itself. Just stamps on your passport are not enough. What you did in between those stamps is the 'devil lies in the details' part.

Reactions: smash1984

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
It's probably been said numerous times that interviews were the norm before covid for all adult applicants, so it should not come as a surprise, if they are being reinstated. Especially critical if you have a history of time spent outside Canada during your eligibility period. Whether the interview is required or not, is not for me to decide or comment on.

All info here is pre-covid. My wife and children applied before I did. Wife & daughter cleared the test (they did not have a travel history during their eligibility period). The interview lasted about 30 minutes. As a family we had visited a country which was the home country of the interviewing officer. He saw the visa stamped on their passport, was thrilled that she had been there and spent almost the entire period talking about the trip, liked / disliked etc. My adult daughter was asked about her university and the program she was enrolled in. Job done.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I had the same officer going by the initials and ethnicity. From the beginning, it was a disaster. Bad vibes, his body language and choice of words. It got argumentative, because of my travel history and the next thing I knew I was given a laundry list of documents to submit to prove my RO. A few days later, the world shut down due to Covid. Long story short, it took two years for me to finally take oath after the interview.

This is not to scare you, rather, suggest to be completely transparent and truthful and state facts even though they may appear weird to you. Ensure that you have enough evidence that you have fulfilled your RO especially since you were outside Canada while your application was being processed. If you have non-Eng/Fr stamps on your passport, make sure they are translated. All evidence should cross reference itself. Just stamps on your passport are not enough. What you did in between those stamps is the 'devil lies in the details' part.
Wow, that is some process. Congratulations though, at least it ended well.

which then reminds me of a question, if we have a new passport after we submit the citizenship application, does that have to be submitted through the webform?

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hello everyone,
So I passed my test on Oct 01, 2022 and just received an email for interview however there is nothing updated on my status tracker is it normal?
Also I came to know from the forum that people had interview and oath on the same day how do I know if mine will be on the same day or not?
Please reply
Can you please share your interview experience

amhbala

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
PI interview is standard or "routine" for all adult applicants. Fact that it has not been part of the process for some applicants the last three years is due to Covid. The applicable PDI still states that adult applicants will be interviewed, even though (again) this has been partially suspended in response to covid.

Applicants known or perceived to be abroad for extended periods of time after applying appear to be among those more likely to be interviewed during this transition phase, but noting, again, that IRCC appears on track to resume the interview process for all adult applicants.

Also see post above:
Thanks. Interview done. Interview mostly was the verification of passport and ID cards and some basic questions of employment. interview took hardly 5 mins. But agent told will approve the application and to wait for 2 to 4 months for virtual oath update. i thougt to get oath option as mentioned in some of the post here but not in my case. So some months waiting going to be there again:(

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
Why are they asking if we're working or not? is it a requirement now? I just went back to school after working for 3 years. will it cause an issue?

amhbala

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Why are they asking if we're working or not? is it a requirement now? I just went back to school after working for 3 years. will it cause an issue?
Not sure whats the purpose for the question as there is no such requirement on employment whatsoever.

Reactions: e_ca

nirmalramaraj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks. Interview done. Interview mostly was the verification of passport and ID cards and some basic questions of employment. interview took hardly 5 mins. But agent told will approve the application and to wait for 2 to 4 months for virtual oath update. i thougt to get oath option as mentioned in some of the post here but not in my case. So some months waiting going to be there again:(
Is it from
West Citizenship EApp / Eapp OUEST Citoyennete (IRCC)
?

nirmalramaraj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2018
Officer asked me for my Pr card, driver's license and passport. For passport he wanted to see every page of it so it took some time otherwise it was a short interview he asked me if I am working and that's it!
Is it from
West Citizenship EApp / Eapp OUEST Citoyennete (IRCC)
?

sahibo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
With regards to work, I heard that if you're unemployed, or are self-employed, they're more likely to send you a RQ after the interview... Not sure about going back to school though.

onkar112

Star Member
Apr 5, 2022
Were you able to get it done outside Canada? We got the interview would like to know if its possible to take from outside.
I took my interview from within Canada. Best thing would be to call/email and clarify.
As far as I remember, my interviewer did ask me if I was currently in Canada

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
With regards to work, I heard that if you're unemployed, or are self-employed, they're more likely to send you a RQ after the interview... Not sure about going back to school though.
This is just stupid. If they have all the entry-exit records what's the point of RQ? Red tape after red tape. If employment is a criteria in citizenship then make it . Thank you for the info though.
Also, a lot of people move out of Canada after applying for citizenship and getting a job elsewhere, it just seems like a bullying tactic.