+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interview without original passport

yasoni

Star Member
May 2, 2012
When the US consulate told your friend to get her passport at the Loomis, it means the passport would be with the carrier (you can google the carrier's location that your friend requested the passport to be sent there). I'm surprised that when your friend applied for the passport, she should have known about it. Her passport is not with the US consulate I think.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
yasoni said:
When the US consulate told your friend to get her passport at the Loomis, it means the passport would be with the carrier (you can google the carrier's location that your friend requested the passport to be sent there). I'm surprised that when your friend applied for the passport, she should have known about it. Her passport is not with the US consulate I think.
I think courier service keeps the parcel etc with them for specific number of days and then it is sent back to the sender.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
thecoolguysam said:
I think courier service keeps the parcel etc with them for specific number of days and then it is sent back to the sender.
An update : Since last week she went 3 times to US consulate . Finally today they confirmed to her via email that they have lost her passport as they could not find it and just saying sorry for the inconvenience.
I advice her to print that email and some others communication with the consulate and bring to the interview tomorrow. Explain the situation and take it from there.
Any suggestion on what action she should take regarding the US consulate ? I think they need to compensate her .

Amissa

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amissa said:
An update : Since last week she went 3 times to US consulate . Finally today they confirmed to her via email that they have lost her passport as they could not find it and just saying sorry for the inconvenience.
I advice her to print that email and some others communication with the consulate and bring to the interview tomorrow. Explain the situation and take it from there.
Any suggestion on what action she should take regarding the US consulate ? I think they need to compensate her .

Amissa
Did the US consulate lose it or the courier service?

Did your friend try to track the status of the passport on usa consulate's website to see the status?
Here is the link again:
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in

I am pretty surprised that the person never contacted the US consulate after few days of approval of the visa and only contacted US consulate after 1 year. Why would a person leave his/her passport at the consulate for 1 year even though the person knew that the visa was approved and the person was supposed to get the passport within a month back from US consulate.

The person can take the email printout during the interview however, I think the citizenship officer might have the same concerns that I mentioned above.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
thecoolguysam said:
Did the US consulate lose it or the courier service?

Did your friend try to track the status of the passport on usa consulate's website to see the status?
Here is the link again:
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in

I am pretty surprised that the person never contacted the US consulate after few days of approval of the visa and only contacted US consulate after 1 year. Why would a person leave his/her passport at the consulate for 1 year even though the person knew that the visa was approved and the person was supposed to get the passport within a month back from US consulate.

The person can take the email printout during the interview however, I think the citizenship officer might have the same concerns that I mentioned above.
Thanks Cool Sam. She often checked the status. Although it is indicated Ready since June 20 but it is a standard status as it is asking if you have interview to check back after two business days. Anyway May God Will Be !

KungFury

May 28, 2015
amissa said:
Thanks Cool Sam. She often checked the status. Although it is indicated Ready since June 20 but it is a standard status as it is asking if you have interview to check back after two business days. Anyway May God Will Be !
Do you have an update on your friend's situation?

I have a similar situation, my passport is being held in the US consulate as of May 2015 for visa issuance and they are not responding to my requests to send back my passport (a computer glitch has hit the US consulate systems worldwide on June 12, 2015 and has caused delays in visa processing, you can read more about it online) and I am worried that this might raise a red flag for CIC and result in RQ for me.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KungFury said:

I have a similar situation, my passport is being held in the US consulate as of May 2015 for visa issuance and they are not responding to my requests to send back my passport (a computer glitch has hit the US consulate systems worldwide on June 12, 2015 and has caused delays in visa processing, you can read more about it online) and I am worried that this might raise a red flag for CIC and result in RQ for me.
Which city you applied ??? My US visa interview was on 30 th June in Toronto now Iam worried about my Passport return.

KungFury

May 28, 2015
ar_fabrics said:
Which city you applied ??? My US visa interview was on 30 th June in Toronto now Iam worried about my Passport return.
No need to worry if your interview has been in late June. The glitch seems to only affect those cases that were interviewed prior to June 12.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
KungFury said:

As an update : She passed the test and during the interview explained the situation, the officer take the printout of the email from US consulate although he asked for a formal letter, the officer also insisted that she is telling the truth as if they found out that she is lying, that could put in jeopardy her application. After the interview the officer indicated that she will hear from CIC in 2 to 3 months ( others applicants were told they will hear from CIC in 1 to 2 months). No RQ handed but the interview was very long.

To note that my friend indicated that many people have the same problem with the US consulate in Montreal.
Amissa

KungFury

May 28, 2015
amissa said:
As an update : She passed the test and during the interview explained the situation, the officer take the printout of the email from US consulate although he asked for a formal letter, the officer also insisted that she is telling the truth as if they found out that she is lying, that could put in jeopardy her application. After the interview the officer indicated that she will hear from CIC in 2 to 3 months ( others applicants were told they will hear from CIC in 1 to 2 months). No RQ handed but the interview was very long.

To note that my friend indicated that many people have the same problem with the US consulate in Montreal.
Amissa
I document this here just in case it might be useful to someone in the future.

I called NVC and talked to an operator; he said once a case is being processed in an embassy or consulate abroad there nothing we can do about it. So, he could not be of any help. Then I called Montreal consulate and finally managed to talk to someone; but she also directed me to send an email which I did and already know they do not respond to. The funny part was I got a hint that she was asking me to actually spam consulate email address to get hold of their attention.

Anyways, with my test scheduled for July 15 I have pretty much given up on taking the test. I will call CIC call center and ask for their advice and look into rescheduling option.

KungFury

May 28, 2015
KungFury said:
I document this here just in case it might be useful to someone in the future.

I called NVC and talked to an operator; he said once a case is being processed in an embassy or consulate abroad there nothing we can do about it. So, he could not be of any help. Then I called Montreal consulate and finally managed to talk to someone; but she also directed me to send an email which I did and already know they do not respond to. The funny part was I got a hint that she was asking me to actually spam consulate email address to get hold of their attention.

Anyways, with my test scheduled for July 15 I have pretty much given up on taking the test. I will call CIC call center and ask for their advice and look into rescheduling option.
I called CIC and the operator said she does not know if I can take the test or not, I should go and talk to officials on the test date, they will decide about my situation.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
amissa said:

Amissa
An update again:
Today I visited my friend and we checked her ecas. Surprise, we found the line 6 below:
6.We sent you a notice on August 5, 2015 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on September 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM
So all is good

amissa

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amissa said:
An update again:
Today I visited my friend and we checked her ecas. Surprise, we found the line 6 below:
6.We sent you a notice on August 5, 2015 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on September 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM
So all is good

amissa
congratulations to your friend.