+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interview without original passport

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Hello all,
I am asking your advice on behalf of a friend who have citizenship test and interview on 7th July 2015 Montreal. However her passport was with the US consulate for tourist visa application since June 2014. When she received the test notification from CIC , she tried to contact the US consulate to retrieve her passport without success as she always get automatic reply on her emails and the call centre hasn't been helpful. What do you suggest and what are the risk for each option

• Take the test /interview on 7th July and explain the situation during the interview
  • Reschedule the test /interview date
In another hand how could she contact directly or at least speak to a visa officer in the US consulate of Montreal in order to get back her passport before July 7th .
In advance thank you very much

troll2

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
amissa said:
Hello all,
I am asking your advice on behalf of a friend who have citizenship test and interview on 7th July 2015 Montreal. However her passport was with the US consulate for tourist visa application since June 2014. When she received the test notification from CIC , she tried to contact the US consulate to retrieve her passport without success as she always get automatic reply on her emails and the call centre hasn't been helpful. What do you suggest and what are the risk for each option

• Take the test /interview on 7th July and explain the situation during the interview
  • Reschedule the test /interview date
In another hand how could she contact directly or at least speak to a visa officer in the US consulate of Montreal in order to get back her passport before July 7th .
In advance thank you very much
There is something not right. Did the US consulate sized her passport ? For what reason ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Is it June 2014 or June 2015?

Please read this similar thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-passport-is-away-for-renewal-if-they-call-me-for-the-test-t313494.0.html

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
troll2 said:
There is something not right. Did the US consulate sized her passport ? For what reason ?
She applied for tourist visa , after the interview , the officer told her she will get one year visa and could take her passport back at the loomis(?) in about 1 week. This was 12th June 2014. Since then she didn't hear from the US consulate and she only contact them recently when she get the CIC notification for test/interview.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They have global problem now with issues of visas. Probably that is the reason for the delay.
They still can't issue the visa.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amissa said:
She applied for tourist visa , after the interview , the officer told her she will get one year visa and could take her passport back at the loomis(?) in about 1 week. This was 12th June 2014. Since then she didn't hear from the US consulate and she only contact them recently when she get the CIC notification for test/interview.
Is it really 2014? Is the passport held by us consulate for the past 1 year? Please read the link for the thread mentioned above which has similar kind of question that you have asked.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
thecoolguysam said:
Is it really 2014? Is the passport held by us consulate for the past 1 year? Please read the link for the thread mentioned above which has similar kind of question that you have asked.
Yes it is 12th June 2014.
Is there any way to get her passport back before 7th July, she doesn't need the US tourist visa.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
amissa said:
Is there any way to get her passport back before 7th July, she doesn't need the US tourist visa.
Over a year??? wow! something sounds seriously wrong. I can't image them holding on to a passport for a year. You friend needs to talk to someone at the consulate. There must be someone they can talk to....

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amissa said:
Its a long time that the passport is with the US consular office. Usually after the interview they send the passport by loomis.
Did you ask your friend to track down the passport? What city is your friend from?

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
thecoolguysam said:
If your friend is from montreal, please try the following link:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/contact.html
Thanks Sam......Yes she is living in Montreal. When I hear the story , I could not believe it but it is true. The irony is that the officer told her she could get the passport with one year visa after about 1 week .

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
amissa said:
Thanks Sam......Yes she is living in Montreal. When I hear the story , I could not believe it but it is true. The irony is that the officer told her she could get the passport with one year visa after about 1 week .
I think your friend can track the passport status on the following website:

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in

Hopefully it will track the current status of the application.

Since when did your friend try to contact us embassy? Did your friend try to contact the us embassy after 1 month of the interview or just recently? I am not sure why your friend waited for 1 year in order to contact us consulate.

AUTO101

Mar 16, 2015
amissa said:
She didn't contact US consulate for 1 year to find out what happened to her passport?? wow. talk about being irresponsible!!

Most people would have contact after a week or maximum two weeks time.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
She needs to keep trying to contact them, possibly even go to the embassy or the media about it. Many agencies don't like negative press. In the future, she should keep on top of things.

If she can't get the passport by the test date, then she can take proof of all her correspondence with the US embassy to show they have the passport. Then hope for the best. It will likely delay her citizenship application or worse, lead to RQ.

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
I believe if it wasn't for the citizenship test/interview she wouldn't contact US consulate . She is planning to go there in person on Monday. Let's hope her for the best.
Thanks to all who have given suggestion/advice/comments.