+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interview - Documents problem

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Hey folks,

I have test and interview in 2 days where IRCC has asked to bring original documents of the photocopies submitted with the application. I have everything in place but just last night found that my original degree is misplaced somewhere. I sent my degree's photocopy for language proficiency. I can take my original transcript which will prove that I took those courses and degree awarded but I submitted my degree's copy only with the application. I have also requested for replacement degree but even in urgent matter it takes 5 business days for university's registrar 's office to issue it. Do you guys think this can be an issue in the interview?
As as proof, I can also take printouts of all emails I sent today to my university registrar's office in regards to parchment replacement.

HFAMH

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
I think the best is to take the original transcript along with its photocopy and be honest if they asked for the original certificate to explain what has happened.

"You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement."

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
I think the best is to take the original transcript along with its photocopy and be honest if they asked for the original certificate to explain what has happened.

"You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement."
Thanks HFAMH
Yes, it's the masters degree from Canadian university and transcript is the for the same program.
I will take whatever I have from university which can prove that my program was finished and degree was awarded. Technically I think it's shouldn't be problem but still you never know how do they see these things.
I couldn't sleep well last night, cursing myself for stupidity :(

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Technically I think it's shouldn't be problem . . .
And indeed it should not be a problem . . . the interview itself, in conjunction with the test, is the way IRCC verifies the applicant meets the language proficiency requirement. (While a significant part of the "interview" may seem casual, it is in fact screening the applicant's language ability).

Of course, if IRCC has any reason to suspect the authenticity of the documents submitted with the application, the failure to bring and present originals could pose problems, but that would not be so much about proof of language and I assume there is not the slightest cause for any concern of this sort in your circumstances.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
And indeed it should not be a problem . . . the interview itself, in conjunction with the test, is the way IRCC verifies the applicant meets the language proficiency requirement. (While a significant part of the "interview" may seem casual, it is in fact screening the applicant's language ability).

Of course, if IRCC has any reason to suspect the authenticity of the documents submitted with the application, the failure to bring and present originals could pose problems, but that would not be so much about proof of language and I assume there is not the slightest cause for any concern of this sort in your circumstances.
@dpenabill
Thank you for your input and I agree with you. I am just worried like any other citizenship applicant because the this process itself is very expensive in terms of the time one spends while waiting during the whole process and one small think can lead to delays for unknown amount of time.
This whole time I didn't even think about the degree which is misplaced or lost and last night when I was arranging my documents for interview I found that the original is missing but then I felt relieved when I found i have the original transcripts and some letters from uni which is sufficient to prove my degree. Now based on the inputs I am getting here and from several friends, I will be taking the transcripts, program completion confirmation letter (I have from the time of graduation) and copy of emails exchange with university registrar's office. In worst case, they will ask me to come for another interview or go before citizenship judge and hopefully by that time I will have the replacement (if they treat me this way). This what I can think of the worst in my circumstances