+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Interview Coming Up! I was outside Canada immediately after applying for Citizenship.

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
They will ask many questions about wither you actually "intend to reside in Canada".. Don't worry, just tell them YES. This question is actually illegal and "intention to reside" is no longer required. As long as you meet residency requirements, you should be fine.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What questions are usually asked in interview?
Addressed in depth here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-interview-questiond-2023-please-help.814605/#post-10552078

The following is misinformation:

They will ask many questions about wither you actually "intend to reside in Canada".. Don't worry, just tell them YES. This question is actually illegal and "intention to reside" is no longer required. As long as you meet residency requirements, you should be fine.

Otherwise . . . For those interested in genuine information, not agenda driven rhetoric --

While some citizenship applicants, but no more than an isolated few so far as reporting indicates, are asked questions about WHEN they will return to Canada, NOT questions about whether they intend to reside in Canada, UNLESS you are outside of Canada during the interview there is at most only a REMOTE chance that the processing agent conducting the interview will ask about future plans or intentions at all (except, perhaps but still not likely, as casual conversation for assessing language ability), let alone as to where you intend to reside.

That is, there is almost NO likelihood that "They will ask many questions about wither you actually 'intend to reside in Canada' ".. At most, again for those who are outside Canada at the time of the interview, a few (not many) questions might be asked about WHEN the applicant will return to Canada . . . remember, the oath of citizenship must be taken IN Canada.

Apart from that, IRCC has very broad discretion in the questions it asks during the interview. There is NOTHING illegal about asking applicants whether they intend to reside in Canada. They almost certainly will NOT ask this, but they can.

In contrast, it is illegal to make misrepresentations to IRCC attendant a citizenship application. It is a crime.

Obviously, the applicant needs to truthfully answer questions asked during the interview. And this includes responses in the very unlikely event that questions about future plans or intentions are asked.

Saying something that is not truthful relying on the high probability of getting away with it is, well, to say this is "foolish" understates it because it is downright stupid.

As noted, it is illegal to make misrepresentations to IRCC attendant a citizenship application. It is a crime. It can be punished by a term in jail in addition to a fine. While it is very unlikely the applicant would get caught making a misrepresentation about future plans or intentions, if caught making a misrepresentation during the interview that would be a stand-alone ground for denying the citizenship application resulting in a five year prohibition.

Misrepresentations as to intent are not easy to catch and prove, so even if an applicant makes such a misrepresentation the odds are very good they can get away with it. Still, as noted, even if one is quite certain they will get away with it, it is stupid to lie to IRCC, even if just about future plans or intentions.

Of course some could get caught. An applicant with a multi-year lease or job contract abroad, for example, who lies about intending to move to Canada soon, could find himself having to respond to a procedural fairness notice. Of course this is a highly unlikely example because it is unlikely IRCC will ask about the applicant's future plans or intentions, and even if they do that is more likely to be casual conversation for assessing language ability with no concern for the content of the response. That is, even if asked, this is not something IRCC will cross-check.

HighTower

Sep 1, 2022
Addressed in depth here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-interview-questiond-2023-please-help.814605/#post-10552078

The following is misinformation:

Otherwise . . . For those interested in genuine information, not agenda driven rhetoric --

While some citizenship applicants, but no more than an isolated few so far as reporting indicates, are asked questions about WHEN they will return to Canada, NOT questions about whether they intend to reside in Canada, UNLESS you are outside of Canada during the interview there is at most only a REMOTE chance that the processing agent conducting the interview will ask about future plans or intentions at all (except, perhaps but still not likely, as casual conversation for assessing language ability), let alone as to where you intend to reside.

That is, there is almost NO likelihood that "They will ask many questions about wither you actually 'intend to reside in Canada' ".. At most, again for those who are outside Canada at the time of the interview, a few (not many) questions might be asked about WHEN the applicant will return to Canada . . . remember, the oath of citizenship must be taken IN Canada.

Apart from that, IRCC has very broad discretion in the questions it asks during the interview. There is NOTHING illegal about asking applicants whether they intend to reside in Canada. They almost certainly will NOT ask this, but they can.

In contrast, it is illegal to make misrepresentations to IRCC attendant a citizenship application. It is a crime.

Obviously, the applicant needs to truthfully answer questions asked during the interview. And this includes responses in the very unlikely event that questions about future plans or intentions are asked.

Saying something that is not truthful relying on the high probability of getting away with it is, well, to say this is "foolish" understates it because it is downright stupid.

As noted, it is illegal to make misrepresentations to IRCC attendant a citizenship application. It is a crime. It can be punished by a term in jail in addition to a fine. While it is very unlikely the applicant would get caught making a misrepresentation about future plans or intentions, if caught making a misrepresentation during the interview that would be a stand-alone ground for denying the citizenship application resulting in a five year prohibition.

Misrepresentations as to intent are not easy to catch and prove, so even if an applicant makes such a misrepresentation the odds are very good they can get away with it. Still, as noted, even if one is quite certain they will get away with it, it is stupid to lie to IRCC, even if just about future plans or intentions.

Of course some could get caught. An applicant with a multi-year lease or job contract abroad, for example, who lies about intending to move to Canada soon, could find himself having to respond to a procedural fairness notice. Of course this is a highly unlikely example because it is unlikely IRCC will ask about the applicant's future plans or intentions, and even if they do that is more likely to be casual conversation for assessing language ability with no concern for the content of the response. That is, even if asked, this is not something IRCC will cross-check.
Nicely written, but unfortunately not true. I was specifically asked if I intend to reside in Canada. The officer even asked me for my kids school registration for the upcoming semester and my job offer. So it not uncommon they ask. Just say YES if they ask (regardless of your intention) as you are meeting all the residency requirements (and intention to reside is not one of them)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Nicely written, but unfortunately not true. I was specifically asked if I intend to reside in Canada. The officer even asked me for my kids school registration for the upcoming semester and my job offer. So it not uncommon they ask. Just say YES if they ask (regardless of your intention) as you are meeting all the residency requirements (and intention to reside is not one of them)
The logic that one example means something is not uncommon is invalid. Third or fourth grade stuff as I recall.

I am not sure what you claim is not true about what I posted, but in regards to what you describe as your experience I explicitly noted that the official conducting a PI interview can ask a citizenship applicant questions about future plans and intentions. So your experience is in no way inconsistent with or contrary to what I posted.

Moreover, you have not illuminated much (not even whether you were outside or in Canada during your interview, which as I noted is a factor that makes a big difference in terms of the likelihood of being asked questions about future plans and intentions, particularly as to plans to be in Canada or not) but based on what you have revealed about your experience, it appears your situation is not at all representative of the clearly qualified citizenship applicant with what is largely a problem-free application:

Just realized now going through old emails looking for other stuff. I had a time buffer but even with that Im short 12 days.
That is, your experience does not appear to be an example of what @rar666 might anticipate. Not an example anywhere near sufficient to support conclusions about the standard questions asked during a routine Program Integrity (PI) interview of adult citizenship applicants.

Moreover, by the way, there is no indication that @rar666 will be outside Canada for the interview, so the likelihood of questions about where they intend to reside is remote. Leading to . . .

As noted, it is not clear what you claim "is not true" in what I posted, but if you are claiming that it is not true that the post by @naseryas is misinformation, no, that is not correct.

They will ask many questions about wither you actually "intend to reside in Canada".
@naseryas does not state that the interviewer might ask some questions about intent to reside in Canada, but that the interviewer "will ask many questions about" intent to reside in Canada. This is NOT anywhere near true. Even if, as you claim, it is "not uncommon" for such questions to be asked, and even if such questions are commonly asked of applicants outside Canada at the time of the interview, among the scores and scores of credible anecdotal reports about their interview, for all citizenship applicants, at the very most there is no indication that any more than a FEW are being asked such questions, and that few are almost all outside Canada. Absolutely NOT every applicant. So to say such questions "will" be asked is on its face NOT true, not close, not anywhere near close.

Which demands being called out here because of the serious, egregiously malicious directive both you and @naseryas then propound, telling citizenship applicants to lie to IRCC. To my view this is close enough to encouraging the commission of fraud that it should not be allowed here.

In any event, a summary of what I posted regarding the prospect of so-called "intent to reside" PI interview questioning:

-- most applicants, those IN Canada at the time of the interview, are NOT likely to be asked any questions about future plans or intentions; that said​
-- -- questions about future plans or intentions, including as to intent to reside, can be asked; applicants should ALWAYS be HONEST​
-- applicants who are located outside Canada at the time of the interview, and especially those who are or who appear to have relocated abroad or otherwise abroad for an extended time, MIGHT be asked about WHEN they will return to Canada, and related questions, and again they should be honest, they absolutely should be HONEST; recognizing . . .​
-- -- being outside Canada after applying, and an intent to reside outside Canada, are not disqualifying, not a prohibition, so will not have an effect on the outcome; they might trigger increased scrutiny but the qualified applicant will still be granted citizenship, just might take a little longer and, for now still, all applicants must be in Canada when they take the oath​

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
I was outside too! And got in person Interview office didn’t asked me anything about me being abroad lol he just asked me if I wanted to do the oath same day and if I speak English lol ….so as it turn out IRCC doesn’t really follow anything they just do whatever the one …

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
You should expect to receive the additional proof of residence form for citizenship (which means = an additional delay of several years, a few years if you are lucky).... Residing outside of Canada is a red flag, and it often triggers the additional form, and more delays.