+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship in process, but leaving Canada

curiousperson

Aug 5, 2014
Hi I have some question.

I have my citizenship application in process with the CIC office (I sent mine on March 2014) . They already sent the book to me and what I need to do is to wait for the test date. I understand that I have to be present in Canada for taking the test and oath.

My questions are : Can I live in my home country for several months (or probably 1-2 years), while waiting for the office to tell me the Test date??? I have changed the mailing address to my uncle's house in Canada.

Is there a maximum days where I can live outside Canada? Will this make the process even harder?

Thank you :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to make sure you continue to meet the PR residency obligation while you wait for citizenship. Living outside of the country while your citizenship application is being processed can increase your chances of receiving an RQ.

Note that you will likely be given very little notice for the citizenship test. So you'll have to be ready to book a flight quickly and come to Canada to take the test once you are notified it's time.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
You need to inform them. But from what I read in some threads, if you go back to you home country while waiting for the citizenship process, this will trigger an all-out-RQ.

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
A recent stamp of entry prior to your interview / test date will not look good during your interview and may trigger post test RQ

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Simple answer: You will eventually get your Citizenship but the process may become much harder compared to if you haven't left at all. If you send in your application in March, then most likely you should complete the whole process within this year. It appears that March applications are moving fast.

ToyBB

Aug 8, 2014
Hi curiousperson,

We are at the same boat and same situation. My application was submitted in beginning of March. Now I am planning to back to my home country for a year (for my parents). I called CIC yesterday and I realized my file is in the local office already. I also asked the agent if I can leave Canada and he said "yes". However, he will needs to put the date in my file. If it is the case, I am worry, CIC may hold the file until my returning. Any advise to me? I am from Edmonton.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kind suggestion: leave or stay after u r a CITIZEN!
otherwise, might get into trouble. the new law is in place, so wouldnt take any risk

ToyBB

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks u4g5,

Yes, I think I better stay for a few months to avoid the risk. Does anybody know about the process time in Edmonton office?

MKJ

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
curiousperson said:
Hi I have some question.

I have my citizenship application in process with the CIC office (I sent mine on March 2014) . They already sent the book to me and what I need to do is to wait for the test date. I understand that I have to be present in Canada for taking the test and oath.

My questions are : Can I live in my home country for several months (or probably 1-2 years), while waiting for the office to tell me the Test date??? I have changed the mailing address to my uncle's house in Canada.

Is there a maximum days where I can live outside Canada? Will this make the process even harder?

Thank you :)
If you have a justified reason, you can travel and live outside Canada. If you dig deep into the threads, you'll find quite a few cases who after filing their application, left Canada and just came to Canada for test and didn't get an RQ served.

One of the forum user I remember was Yolka, who just came for test and had absolutely no issues after justifying the reason for absence.

Also, you'll find cases where applicants DIDn't notify CIC and are all over in Middle East for great paying jobs, specially U.A.E. They checked status online regularly and kept in touch with their relatives(in your case it will be your Uncle) for test invite and came for test and got their citizenship. Some who couldn't make it, even called from outside Canada and got new test date etc.

If your file is clean, there shouldn't be any issues as far as RQ is concerned. Living in Canada doesn't mean you won't get an RQ.

Take care.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
wait till your test and ceremony is finished. if it will be rescheduled then you are probably expecting a longer time.

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ronaldo Da Lima 89 said:
Your situation with CIC would be so complicated and you will be RQ'ed for sure ...
It doesn't make sense to me what you are saying... even on CIC website it says that you have to notify the CIC only if you are out of the country for over 2 weeks. But people can still live their lives and visit their home country and travel for work around the world if needed.

I don't believe that everyone who leaves Canada for a short time after applying for citizenship gets RQed. It just doesn't make sense..... I think that if you can proof that Canada is your main residence (paying taxes, job here) you can travel outside the country. Maybe I am wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

ToyBB

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks for all,

Here is my background. My application was received on March 10, 2014. The file is starting on April 22, 2014. The file was arrived in Edmonton local office in the beginning of June. Both of my parents are struggling with health problem. They are in need of my help. Luckily, I got one year approved no pay leave from my company in order to be there with my family members.

I called CIC regarding this problem and the agent told me I need to report to them on phone for any 2 months leaving. More than 2 months leaving needs to report to my local office. So which one should I report to (I don't have the return date yet)? Any advise?

MKJ

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
ToyBB said:
Hi MKJ,

Would it be a problem if we leave Canada without report to CIC?
Hello,

As long as you have a reliable contact / Address in Canada, who can let you know once the invitation for test letter comes, there's absolutely no problem.

Reason CIC asks to inform them is because if they send a letter and there's no response from your side then after certain number of days (60 days or so, I'm not sure) the file is considered abandoned and only then it becomes complicated, otherwise not. If people were to get RQ'd, why would CIC permit people to leave Canada and travel? Don't be worried, as long as you are honest and your residency in Canada is legit, you should be fine. There are tons of people travelling after filing. RQ has absolutely nothing to do post filing of application/travel. RQ's are basically to question your 4 year residency period prior to the date of application, in case they suspect your residency in Canada.

Take care.