+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship hearing

ghodubaba

Nov 20, 2019
Guys i failed second time on test...my documents are all good and my english is fairly good...

What can I expect in hearing?

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Please don't mind, just wanna know why did you fail twice? I haven't written the test myself but looks like it needs some preparation :(

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
So sorry. No idea. Hopefully, seniors in this forum will respond to it soon. Don't worry. Everything will be fine

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Guys i failed second time on test...my documents are all good and my english is fairly good...

What can I expect in hearing?
While several forum participants have, similar to you, reported being referred to or scheduled for a hearing/interview with a Citizenship Officer, not many have followed up and reported on how it went for them. Thus, what we know largely derives from IRCC published information online, which is generally good information insofar as it goes. Problem is how general this information is, leaving a lot, so to say, more or less in the shadows. More anecdotal reporting about how these go, from those who go through the process, would help illuminate more practical aspects of what happens. (In other words: sorry our information is somewhat limited, BUT PLEASE come back and report how this goes for you.)

Below I will list some PDIs with information relevant to a hearing/interview with a Citizenship Officer. The primary PDI covering your situation is here:

Highlights: the test is oral, consists of 20 questions, and similar to the written test the applicant needs to correctly answer 15.

Where the PDI and the sparse anecdotal reports appear to differ some is that the anecdotal accounts suggest the questions may NOT be multiple choice, and thus significantly more difficult than written tests. BUT the PDI description of "Administering and marking the oral citizenship knowledge test" (link above) includes:
-- "For each question, suggested responses are included in the oral test version." (Suggesting an oral multiple choice format.)
-- "For each question, an applicant who answers correctly (based on the suggested answer provided for the question) gets a mark of one." (Again indicating multiple choice, the test graded on the applicant's choice of a "suggested answer.")​

My impression is that for many who have trouble with the knowledge test some of their difficulty is due to difficulty with the language, and this can be aggravated in the oral format given the absence or blurring of contextual clues. For example, formal conjugation, tenses, and number in the words, can pose difficulties for individuals who are otherwise comfortable engaging in casual conversation in a second language. Suggestion: find someone who can help you do practice tests orally, someone who will focus on strictly stating the questions and suggested answers . . . the focus of this exercise more about the format than about the substantive answers themselves (of course you need to get the substantive answers correct, but this practice is more about responding to and selecting suggested answers in the oral format with NO clues from the person asking the questions).

Caution: Attendant the hearing for an oral test of knowledge of Canada the Citizenship Officer may also question the applicant about ANY of the requirements for citizenship. Including language ability. Including meeting the actual physical presence requirement. Among the few anecdotal reports we have had, here, and which is confirmed by official accounts of actual cases in published Federal Court decisions, we know this happens. However, where applicants are more often caught off guard is when there is a hearing scheduled for some other purpose (that is, not for a retest after a failed knowledge of Canada test) BUT the Citizenship Officer also conducts an oral test of the applicant's knowledge of Canada DESPITE the applicant having passed the written test . . . AND yes, the Federal Court has upheld the denial of citizenship to an applicant who had passed the written test but was scheduled for a Citizenship Officer hearing as to residence/presence and at that hearing failed the oral knowledge of Canada test administered by the Citizenship Officer (catching the applicant totally off guard since the notice for the hearing made NO mention of being tested again; FC ruled that notice referred to all eligibility requirements, and while that is very general was sufficient notice the hearing could include screening for any and all of the requirements, including knowledge of Canada despite the applicant having passed this test previously).

In any event, be aware that your ability in an official language will almost certainly be evaluated by the Citizenship Officer, and it is possible the officer will ask questions related to presence in Canada, ranging from casual chit chat about where you have worked and lived, to more specific questions about your residence, work, and travel history.

For other PDIs with information about a hearing/interview with a Citizenship Officer, and about retesting, see:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/decision-making-procedures.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/interview/applicant/conducting-interviews.html

Last edited:

twrooney

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Hello,

Hearing is not easy at all and you need to prepare for the worse.

Please refer to the links below:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/failed-the-citizenship-test-twice.604253/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-test-failed-consequences-steps-to-follow.586188/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/failed-citizenship-test-with-the-judge.164378/

https://www.citizenshipsupport.ca/canadian-citizenship-test-information/canadian-citizenship-test-fail/

You need to be extra cautious here.

Collect every possible document that can make your case strong which may include

Residency documents, Utility bills, Employment Letters etc.

Know about your area and why you love Canada - yes you need to tell beautiful stories about your good experiences in Canada.

With respect to the test, you should be knowing your weakness. For example dates. So make your other areas strong that is about Right/Responsibilities, Laws, Voting System, Regions etc etc. Why?
Because the officer will ask you questions and if you are aware about your weak points, you can request him to ask from other areas. One might and might not consider this.

You need to be extra polite with the officer.

This is your last chance and you need to plan accordingly.

All the best!