+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for my wife and dauther and son

Amine346@q

Nov 26, 2019
Hi folks could you please help me with this.
I and my wife and 2 kids got our pr in 2020,we reside in Canada for 10 months, after that I decide to move back to my country because I had anxiety and I can't resist more, actually my wife want to go back with my son and dauther (3 and 5 years) to complete 3 years and apply for citizenship,.
My wife will not work there she will stay at home and take care of kids (I will transfer money from my country to them).
As I know after she will complete 3 years and apply for citizenship there is forms to fill with income taxe.
My question is :
She can apply without filling the income taxe or she will be asked from where she got money for living?please help me with this.
Thank you

medwiz

May 25, 2014
I and my wife and 2 kids got our pr in 2020,we reside in Canada for 10 months, after that I decide to move back to my country because I had anxiety and I can't resist more, actually my wife want to go back with my son and dauther (3 and 5 years) to complete 3 years and apply for citizenship,.
My wife will not work there she will stay at home and take care of kids (I will transfer money from my country to them).
As I know after she will complete 3 years and apply for citizenship there is forms to fill with income taxe.
My question is :
She can apply without filling the income taxe or she will be asked from where she got money for living?please help me with this.
Thank you
That's a good question...
She HAS to file income tax..because she will be residing in Canada...and of course that will be checked by IRCC when she applies for citizenship
The question is whether she needs to DECLARE that income in her tax return...as far as I know she actually doesn't have to since these remittances may be considered as "gifts" to your spouse...
But then that opens up the question whether you urself have to file taxes and declare this income despite not living in Canada...

Please don't take tax advice from.me..I suggest you consult a Canadian tax accountant if you can

What I can tell u is yes..your spouse has to file taxes if she decides to move to Canada

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
My question is :
Thank you
Even if she does not earn any income here, she would need to file taxes with CRA..

In the citizenship application, there is section where the applicant has to authorize the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to provide details of your tax filing information (including income, benefit and residence information) to IRCC
In this same section the applicant has to provide SIN#
In that same section she would need to click: Required to file Taxes - No, Filed Taxes - Yes for 3 years at least out of the 5 years eligibility period.

Ref: Question 12: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

wink

May 25, 2021
I understand question around income and how one manages their life without any income, but I am not sure whether that is a requirement. As long as they can prove their physical presence here, is it not enough to be eligible and submit the citizenship application? Just thinking aloud....

Amine346@q

Nov 26, 2019
That's a good question...
She HAS to file income tax..because she will be residing in Canada...and of course that will be checked by IRCC when she applies for citizenship
The question is whether she needs to DECLARE that income in her tax return...as far as I know she actually doesn't have to since these remittances may be considered as "gifts" to your spouse...
But then that opens up the question whether you urself have to file taxes and declare this income despite not living in Canada...

Please don't take tax advice from.me..I suggest you consult a Canadian tax accountant if you can

What I can tell u is yes..your spouse has to file taxes if she decides to move to Canada
Thank you for the information
Yes I understand what you mean but I want just to know if it's feasible that a house wife (not working) can fill the tax or not if yes what she will fill(no income) ? , otherwise is it mandatory to work 3 years if you want to apply for citizenship even for a wife with 2 kids(without husband).

Amine346@q

Nov 26, 2019
Even if she does not earn any income here, she would need to file taxes with CRA..

In the citizenship application, there is section where the applicant has to authorize the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to provide details of your tax filing information (including income, benefit and residence information) to IRCC
In this same section the applicant has to provide SIN#
In that same section she would need to click: Required to file Taxes - No, Filed Taxes - Yes for 3 years at least out of the 5 years eligibility period.

Ref: Question 12: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4
Yes I understand what you mean but I want just to know if it's feasible that a house wife (not working) can fill the tax or not if yes what she will fill(no income) ? , otherwise is it mandatory to work 3 years if you want to apply for citizenship even for a wife with 2 kids(without husband).

Amine346@q

Nov 26, 2019
I understand question around income and how one manages their life without any income, but I am not sure whether that is a requirement. As long as they can prove their physical presence here, is it not enough to be eligible and submit the citizenship application? Just thinking aloud....
Yes exactly this is my question

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
This question is not about work experience or earning an income...
It is about a resident in the country submitting tax information based on what there status is..
With your spouse living in the country with children e.g. she can get Child Benefits etc, this is why this section becomes relevant.

Amine346@q

Nov 26, 2019
This question is not about work experience or earning an income...
It is about a resident in the country submitting tax information based on what there status is..
With your spouse living in the country with children e.g. she can get Child Benefits etc, this is why this section becomes relevant.
Yes I'm agree with you, we got child benefit during our residency in Canada (from : november 2020 to August 2021) but I don't know if she will apply for it again when she get back canada because we didn't fill the taxe for 2022,

iceman55

May 1, 2022
You are correct. Income tax filing below a certain income threshold is optional. The amounts are available on the CRA website. But if you want to claim credits you'll need to file returns. That's all.

Reactions: Amine346@q

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think you understand. I will say it out loud but not in the absolute terms. No one needs to work mandatorily.

The wife will need to file taxes because she is living in Canada and would be a tax resident. She will have very low income. (some benefit could be recieved as income. not sure)

The husband will very much likely need to file Canadian tax because of his tie to Canada. (and no one want to say it because it's really depending on CRA to determine if he has enough tie having his family in Canada. I would say very likley yes.)

The family income would include that of the husband's and the amount of benefit will be determined by the family income. Hiding foreign income would be tax fraud. But again, it's up to CRA and it's better to ask an accountant on your specific situation.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
I don't think you understand. I will say it out loud but not in the absolute terms. No one needs to work mandatorily.

The wife will need to file taxes because she is living in Canada and would be a tax resident. She will have very low income. (some benefit could be recieved as income. not sure)

The husband will very much likely need to file Canadian tax because of his tie to Canada. (and no one want to say it because it's really depending on CRA to determine if he has enough tie having his family in Canada. I would say very likley yes.)

The family income would include that of the husband's and the amount of benefit will be determined by the family income. Hiding foreign income would be tax fraud. But again, it's up to CRA and it's better to ask an accountant on your specific situation.
Using words like fraud without even an elementary understanding of the tax system is a bit much even for what this forum has become lately.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
I only said hiding. If they do not need to report that income, that won't be hiding.
Do you have any idea how the tax system here works? You are not forced to answer anything if you don't know.
OP is already worried unncessarily. Why are creating more fear?

Last edited: