+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for my wife and dauther and son

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Thank you for the information
Yes I understand what you mean but I want just to know if it's feasible that a house wife (not working) can fill the tax or not if yes what she will fill(no income) ? , otherwise is it mandatory to work 3 years if you want to apply for citizenship even for a wife with 2 kids(without husband).
Your wife does NOT have to work as long as she is in PR status. There is NO requirement PRs need to work. It's a common scenario for a stay-at-home parent to not have an income.

If you are going to be supporting her with your income that is earned in another country, that's not a problem. If she is going to be living off of any savings, that's also not a problem.

If she earns any income herself from Canada, that needs to be reported.

You can check here for additional details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

Even if she doesn't earn any income, it's better to file a return because the Canadian government and the provincial governments offer certain refundable tax credits such as for any children in the household, GST/HST. climate etc.

In that case, she will file a zero income return.

There are many newcomer services funded by the Canadian govenrment where your family can get help once they land in Canada:
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp

Reactions: Amine346@q

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your wife does NOT have to work as long as she is in PR status. There is NO requirement PRs need to work. It's a common scenario for a stay-at-home parent to not have an income.

If you are going to be supporting her with your income that is earned in another country, that's not a problem. If she is going to be living off of any savings, that's also not a problem.

If she earns any income herself from Canada, that needs to be reported.

You can check here for additional details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

Even if she doesn't earn any income, it's better to file a return because the Canadian government and the provincial governments offer certain refundable tax credits such as for any children in the household, GST/HST. climate etc.

In that case, she will file a zero income return.

There are many newcomer services funded by the Canadian govenrment where your family can get help once they land in Canada:
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp
Since the OP is a PR and has family ties to Canada, he does need to report his income via tax filing. It's not an option to not file. CRA will deem him a resident for tax purposes (and yes, I do know how the tax system works in this country).

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
Ask her to file taxes for all years of her residency with zero income. Nobody questions how she gets her living expenses if the amount transferred is not so high(no specific amt I can specify here). In any case it will be a very easy process and they will get citizenship.

wink

May 25, 2021
Let's take a pause here and read OP's question again.

My question is :
She can apply without filling the income taxe or she will be asked from where she got money for living?please help me with this.
Thank you
I think there are two parts to question.

1. Who is required to file tax? I think only the parties involved can answer this question. i.e. The spouse (of the OP), CRA or a CPA. If the answer YES, then she should file tax.
2. Can she apply for citizenship without filing income tax? Yes, if answer to previous question is No?

Having said that, I am not sure what would happen if someone answered the question # 12b like this:

Required File Tax Filed
-----------------------------
Yes No
Yes No
Yes No

Is it a ground for denial? I am not sure. Sorry for adding more confusion. I am sure it is already discussed in some of thread in the forum, just I need to search for it....

Yes, I would recommended that everyone files tax even if their income is 0 (while in PR). But I am not sure that is a requirement for the purpose of citizenship grant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ask her to file taxes for all years of her residency with zero income. Nobody questions how she gets her living expenses if the amount transferred is not so high(no specific amt I can specify here). In any case it will be a very easy process and they will get citizenship.
That’s incorrect. CRA can certainly ask how she is living and to prove her family international income in order to receive benefits. Would add that because his family is in Canada he is also a Canadian tax resident and must file Canadian tax returns on his international income. A stay at home parent can live in Canada while their spouse lives abroad but since they are using Canadian services they are expected to pay tax on their family income and declare the family international income .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks could you please help me with this.
I and my wife and 2 kids got our pr in 2020,we reside in Canada for 10 months, after that I decide to move back to my country because I had anxiety and I can't resist more, actually my wife want to go back with my son and dauther (3 and 5 years) to complete 3 years and apply for citizenship,.
My wife will not work there she will stay at home and take care of kids (I will transfer money from my country to them).
As I know after she will complete 3 years and apply for citizenship there is forms to fill with income taxe.
My question is :
She can apply without filling the income taxe or she will be asked from where she got money for living?please help me with this.
Thank you
If your spouse and children live in Canada while you are abroad you will still be a Canadian tax resident and must pay taxes on your international income. If you want your family to benefit from the services in Canada it makes sense that your family will need to contribute to the tax base.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks could you please help me with this.
I and my wife and 2 kids got our pr in 2020,we reside in Canada for 10 months, after that I decide to move back to my country because I had anxiety and I can't resist more, actually my wife want to go back with my son and dauther (3 and 5 years) to complete 3 years and apply for citizenship,.
My wife will not work there she will stay at home and take care of kids (I will transfer money from my country to them).
As I know after she will complete 3 years and apply for citizenship there is forms to fill with income taxe.
My question is :
Thank you
Both you and your spouse need to file Canadian income taxes and declare your international income or that would be tax fraud.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have any idea how the tax system here works? You are not forced to answer anything if you don't know.
OP is already worried unncessarily. Why are creating more fear?
You actually are required to declare your international income. Failing to do so is tax fraud.

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
That’s incorrect. CRA can certainly ask how she is living and to prove her family international income in order to receive benefits. Would add that because his family is in Canada he is also a Canadian tax resident and must file Canadian tax returns on his international income. A stay at home parent can live in Canada while their spouse lives abroad but since they are using Canadian services they are expected to pay tax on their family income and declare the family international income .
YOu have to file taxes, thats all. How you are living and montly expenses is not a problem to CRA. they wont check. You think CRA runs behind rich people children(adults) asking who is paying for your car.
Yes, you have to file taxes, if no income zero tax. possibly if you are married you specify your spouse income if he/she is not a resident. I dont think you have to file taxes if you are not a resident here.

if you have to apply for cra benefits you have to file taxes and declare income of all parents.

In a scenario where only a child and one parent immigrated, you will file taxes for you and declare family income. Other parent was never here and cant file taxes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
YOu have to file taxes, thats all. How you are living and montly expenses is not a problem to CRA. they wont check. You think CRA runs behind rich people children(adults) asking who is paying for your car.
Yes, you have to file taxes, if no income zero tax. possibly if you are married you specify your spouse income if he/she is not a resident. I dont think you have to file taxes if you are not a resident here.

if you have to apply for cra benefits you have to file taxes and declare income of all parents.

In a scenario where only a child and one parent immigrated, you will file taxes for you and declare family income. Other parent was never here and cant file taxes.
This is incorrect. You can live and work outside of Canada and still be a Canadian tax resident. This is a perfect example of a situation where the father remains a tax resident because his family lives in Canada. You also have to declare your family international income because that is how benefits are calculated. As a PR living outside Canada you need to inform CRA that you are no longer living in Canada but your family is and if you want to confirm your residency status (if the rest of the family remains in Canada CRA will determine they are a tax resident). CRA has a process for you to determine what your residency status is if you are unable to determine your residency status yourself or want confirmation. This is just logical. Why would Canada allow people immigrate, use services and get benefits but not tax international family income?

Would add that this isn’t a scenario where a single parent immigrated. They both immigrated and one is now living abroad. They seem to have immigrated based on the father’s application so he certainly immigrated as well.

Reactions: YVR123