Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
My citizenship application is currently in process. I have two daughters, the elder one has been a PR since 2016 and the younger one landed as PR this month.
Could I add both my daughters for citizenship to my application now ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My citizenship application is currently in process. I have two daughters, the elder one has been a PR since 2016 and the younger one landed as PR this month.
Could I add both my daughters for citizenship to my application now ?
This isn't like a PR application where you can "add kids/spouse" to the application. Since your Citizenship application is in progress, you can submit an application for your children if they are eligible to apply for citizenship AFAIK.

UPDATED:

Since you aren't applying together as a family, you'll have to apply under Section 5(1) for Minors.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html

Your younger daughter isn't currently eligible for citizenship since she doesn't have 1095 days of physical presence in Canada which is required to apply under Section 5(1).

In Summary, these are the options that makes sense.

1. Apply for your elder daughter under Section 5(1) right away provided she meets the physical presence component and wait for your younger daughter to complete her residency days before applying for her.
2. After you become a Canadian citizen, you can apply for both your daughters together under Section 5(2)

Last edited:
Reactions: Das67

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
This isn't like a PR application where you can "add kids/spouse" to the application. Since your Citizenship application is in progress, you can submit an application for your children if they are eligible to apply for citizenship AFAIK.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
Actually this is not a good application for his case. Under subsection 5(2), one of both parent need to apply at the same time with their kids or one the parent needs to be a Canadian citizen already. He has two choices now, apply for his kids once he is a citizen or his children can apply when they meet the requirement under 5(1).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Actually this is not a good application for his case. Under subsection 5(2), one of both parent need to apply at the same time with their kids or one the parent needs to be a Canadian citizen already. He has two choices now, apply for his kids once he is a citizen or his children can apply when they meet the requirement under 5(1).
You're right. Thanks for pointing it out, I appreciate it.

I have updated my previous post.

Reactions: Das67

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
could I withdraw my citizenship application and then reapply along with my daughters? Would that be more straightforward as they don’t have the required physical presence yet?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
could I withdraw my citizenship application and then reapply along with my daughters? Would that be more straightforward as they don’t have the required physical presence yet?
Well, how far is your citizenship application? When did you apply, are your BG checks "Completed" and have you taken the test yet?

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
It has been 11 months since I submitted my application. Till now, only background checks are complete. There has been no progress after that.
If my daughters apply with me, under subsection 5(2), they wont be having any physical presence requirements, is that right ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
It has been 11 months since I submitted my application. Till now, only background checks are complete. There has been no progress after that.
If my daughters apply with me, under subsection 5(2), they wont be having any physical presence requirements, is that right ?
Well personally, I would NOT recommend withdrawing your application now after 11 months of processing. At this time, you can apply for your elder daughter under 5(1) since she is eligible and wait until you become a Citizen. Once you become a citizen, you can apply for your younger daughter 5(2).

This will be much quicker IMO than withdrawing an application that has progressed for 11 months and then applying again.

But, obviously, the decision is yours. So, if you want to withdraw the application and then apply together with your daughters, you can do that as well.

This is only my opinion. If someone has been in this situation before, they can weigh in and provide a more streamlined advise.

Wish you all the very best!