+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for child

confused1234

May 6, 2013
Just curious. India does not allow dual citizenship. Both India and Canada allow citizenship by descent (if one parent is a citizen of Canada/India then the child is a citizen by descent). So what citizenship would a child born to India and Canadian parent have :-[

armaan.ahhmad

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
I believe the child is born in India so can claim Indian citizenship by birth. The Canadian parents can also apply Canadian citizenship for their kid(s). It will be a matter of choice really. However, the child can not have both Indian and Canadian citizenship.

confused1234 said:
Just curious. India does not allow dual citizenship. Both India and Canada allow citizenship by descent (if one parent is a citizen of Canada/India then the child is a citizen by descent). So what citizenship would a child born to India and Canadian parent have :-[

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
confused1234 said:
The child is a dual citizen (implied) until one nationality is pursued. You have the option, as parents, to decide if you want to pursue Canadian or India citizenship for the child, but the child cannot remain a citizen of both. The child can only claim one nationality at a time, though they have a right to both.

If I may ask, where will the child be born?

confused1234

May 6, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Acc. to what I read, it does not matter where the child is born. Both India and Canada allow citizenship by descent as long one of the parent is a citizen. All I Know is the wife will not have Canadian citizenship at the time of birth (most likely PR or work visa).

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
confused1234 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Acc. to what I read, it does not matter where the child is born. Both India and Canada allow citizenship by descent as long one of the parent is a citizen. All I Know is the wife will not have Canadian citizenship at the time of birth (most likely PR or work visa).
Well it does... to an extent. If the child is born in Canada to a Canadian parent, the child is automatically Canadian and cannot claim citizenship with India unless they renounce their Canadian citizenship (and the renounciation is granted)first due to India prohibiting dual citizenship.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
confused1234 said:
I guess it will depend on what the parent/s want/s. Since India does not allow dual citizenship, if parent/s choose their child to be Canadian, then maybe this link can help for child to maintain more lasting ties with India via the OCI (Overseas Citizens of India) Card:

http://www.hciottawa.ca/pages.php?id=19