+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship - Fear of rejection

winterson

Dec 27, 2023
Me, my spouse and my two children are permanent residents living in Canada since june 2020 (PR obtained via Express Entry Federal skilled worker program with province of destination: Ontario).

We considering applying for citizenship, but we are concerned about facing issues with the IRCC due to the fact that we had to live in Quebec for nearly 3 years before finally moving to Ottawa Ontario 6 months ago to settle permanently (we bought a house).

Our intention has always been to live in Ontario, but I received a job offer from a company in Montreal a week before first landing. As we landed, we quarantined in Brampton, Ontario for 15 days before moving to Montreal so I can start working there and take advantage of this opportunity during the peak of COVID Lockdown, high unemployment, and economic recession.

I considered living in Cornwall Ontario near Quebec border, but I was advised that PR were allowed to live anywhere in Canada. So, we stayed with the intention of moving to Ontario at the first opportunity.

Our move to Ontario was delayed due to different circumstances:

1. After landing, my 3-year-old son experienced psychological/behavioural issues after immigration which are officially documented by a licensed psychologist, and which prompted us to seek stability for him and to not to make another move until he improves.

2. After a year and half, I finally joined another company which is present in all Canada (including Ontario) which allowed me to move to Ontario, but the transfer took time to be completed.

3. When my company accepted my transfer to Ottawa, I had to wait for my children to finish school before moving to Ottawa

So, in summary, we lived 3 years in Quebec and 6 months so far in Ontario where we want to permanently settle.

We are really worried about this issue and would like to have some advices on how to proceed to secure our citizenship application.
Should we include an LOE with our application? should we hire a lawyer to handle our application in case anything happens? Should we wait to accumulate more time in Ontario before applying for citzenship?

Our biggest fear is receiving a removal order because of this.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

winterson

Last edited:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
We are really worried about this issue and would like to have some recommendations from your firm on how to proceed to secure our citizenship application.
The law firm that hosts this forum does not actually post or reply to posts. You need to contact them directly if you want to consult with them. Everyone that posts or replies on this forum are regular people, and nothing anyone says should be construed as legal advice.

With that being said, I don't believe you have anything to stress about. The physical residence requirement is for in Canada, not in a province, so with 3.5 years, you should be eligible to apply for citizenship without issue.

winterson

Dec 27, 2023
The law firm that hosts this forum does not actually post or reply to posts. You need to contact them directly if you want to consult with them. Everyone that posts or replies on this forum are regular people, and nothing anyone says should be construed as legal advice.

With that being said, I don't believe you have anything to stress about. The physical residence requirement is for in Canada, not in a province, so with 3.5 years, you should be eligible to apply for citizenship without issue.
Thank you hawk39 for your fast response. I really appreciate it. I have now reworded my question. I am more looking for advices on this forum. My intention is to get a feedback/opinion from thoses who encountered thoses kind of cases