+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship exam

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
will be taking my citizenship exam next month and been nervous to take it! Any tips on studying? (What to remember, what to study, was it hard etc.)

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Exam is very easy, it’s more the test of your command of the language, common sense and the functional literacy than anything else.

Read Discover Canada several times and practice free on-line tests.
Test at http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/ is the closest match to the real test, and even this one is harder than the actual test.

Reactions: Uranus

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
will be taking my citizenship exam next month and been nervous to take it! Any tips on studying? (What to remember, what to study, was it hard etc.)
Don't worry too much it's very easy. But try to everything in the book.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
It's only easy for people who study.
Read the books at least two times, read one chapter a day if you find it easier to absorb the materials, listen to the audio version if that helps. If needed, take a couple practice tests online (do not stress too much as these tests did not help me personally).

Reactions: tauneutrino

omerhaha

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
It's only easy for people who study.
Read the books at least two times, read one chapter a day if you find it easier to absorb the materials, listen to the audio version if that helps. If needed, take a couple practice tests online (do not stress too much as these tests did not help me personally).
The test is really easy if you study the book even one time and solve some online tests

canvan14

May 8, 2014
The test is really easy if you study the book even one time and solve some online tests
Everyone is different. They also have different versions of the test, certain version is said to be a bit more challenging than others. I also find the older you are (the majority of applicants), the harder it is to study.
I said it based on my own experience. I did overstudy for the test, and I did not find the online tests very useful for me.

• Wow
Reactions: Faisal_81

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016

sites for practicing test:

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/ (Quiz only) - Free
http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/canada_citizen_test/ (Quiz Only) - Free
http://www.canadacitizenshipstudyguide.com/member/canadian-citizenship-practice-test.php

Also, this website is not bad
https://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/ - Free
And the mobile app: Canadian citizenship test - Free (Alpaca software)

video: (CBC) youtube free
The story of Canada, in 10 epic hours | Canada: The Story of Us
play list
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJyG4btas2dkKZXp5fxgeGWmbakN-KfM6
A docu-drama series highlighting many of the extraordinary moments and people that helped forge a nation from early Indigenous history to the 20th century.

Last edited:

DHines

Mar 7, 2019
I agree with canvan14 .The test is only easy if you study. I did my test on Wednesday in Montreal and even though I finished in less than 5 mins, I can honestly say that I might have gotten one of the more difficult version because I did not find it easy. The only reason I aced the exam is because I paid attention to details while reading the book. I also did a lot of online quizzes which were no help.

Reactions: Uranus and foodie69

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
I agree with canvan14 .The test is only easy if you study. I did my test on Wednesday in Montreal and even though I finished in less than 5 mins, I can honestly say that I might have gotten one of the more difficult version because I did not find it easy. The only reason I aced the exam is because I paid attention to details while reading the book. I also did a lot of online quizzes which were no help.
do I need to worry about dates so much? There’s so many events that happened!

DHines

Mar 7, 2019
I wish I could say but we were told not to discuss the exam online, over the phone, etc. Just pay attention to details, and you will be fine.

Reactions: foodie69

canvan14

May 8, 2014
do I need to worry about dates so much? There’s so many events that happened!
Yes it is overwhelming. That's why it's a good idea to start studying early.
Read and understand the content, even one chapter a day will help.

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
I had my test on March 21, 2019 and I have studied for only 3 days. I have got 19/20. I fund reading book is more useful then quiz. Most probably 3 questions I have found from quiz. Which means other 17 questions was from the book and general knowledge. While I was reading the book I was saying why someone need to read the whole book, how many people will remember the whole book. But after I have realized that if I hadn't read the book I would have unknown about Canada. I have learnt a lot of things about Canada after I have read the book. I have been in Canada long time. I have finished study then worked as FW then waiting for applying for PR got PR like it tooks long time to apply for citizenship stil I was not aware all those things which I have learned from the book such as Canada's history and a lot thing. I wouldn't ever read the book if I didn't have to read it.

Everyone should read book to know about the country where we want to take oath and to stay forever.

Test taker need to practice few quiz to know how would be actual test quiz.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uranus and Shn05

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I am from Ottawa, and I visited the Canadian Museum of History in Hull after I became the citizen. Looking back visit to that museum answered more than half of questions from the exam.

So if you have a chance visit to that museum is a great addition to reading the Discover Canada book.

Reactions: wstrn24

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
I am from Ottawa, and I visited the Canadian Museum of History in Hull after I became the citizen. Looking back visit to that museum answered more than half of questions from the exam.

So if you have a chance visit to that museum is a great addition to reading the Discover Canada book.
Thats nice.