+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship eligibility

Brian_Morison

Mar 22, 2016
Hi all
I was born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen, at 1983.
Is makes me eligible to get a citizenship?

If yes, do I need to apply on mail, or in the embassy in my country?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How did your parent obtain citizenship? Through birth in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Follow the instructions here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Brian_Morison said:
Hi all
I was born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen, at 1983.
Is makes me eligible to get a citizenship?

Thanks in advance
You are already a citizen, you just need proof of it. Follow Scylla's link.

Brian_Morison

Mar 22, 2016
Thank you scylla and links18.
I know this link, I just guess they have so much links there, I'm getting lost there...

If I understand correctly, I should prove somehow that my father was a citizen when I've born. Am I right?
What can be such proof? Do I need to find his old passport, or there is a easier way?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brian_Morison said:
Thank you scylla and links18.
I know this link, I just guess they have so much links there, I'm getting lost there...

If I understand correctly, I should prove somehow that my father was a citizen when I've born. Am I right?
What can be such proof? Do I need to find his old passport, or there is a easier way?
You would complete section 8 of the application, where you would supply your father's citizenship information. In addition to including your full birth certificate (listing your parents' names), you would need to send a certified copy of your father's naturalization certificate. If you can't find his certificate, you can have a search made of citizenship records by completing this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0058ETOC.asp However, if your father is still living, you will need his permission. Note that if you send the "search" form at the same time as you send the application for proof form, you do not have to pay an extra search fee.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brian_Morison said:
Thanks in advance
Unless you are in the United States (in which case you apply by mail), you would apply through the Canadian embassy/consulate/high commission in your country.

Brian_Morison

Mar 22, 2016
Another question: let's say my father have is own issues, and he will not cooperate, in manner that he can refuse give me his passport or the other required documents.
There is a way I can do it without his help?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Brian_Morison said:
Another question: let's say my father have is own issues, and he will not cooperate, in manner that he can refuse give me his passport or the other required documents.
1. Probably not, unless you can prove your father was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Brian_Morison said:
You will not get anywhere with the citizenship application without official documentations that your father is Canadian citizen at time of your birth. You do not need to provide original documentations. You only need to submit certified copies of his documentation. Can you explain to your father that you only need certified copies of his documents. He can still keep his originals.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brian_Morison said:
He doesn't really need to give you anything except his signature on this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0058ETOC.asp

If he will not sign, you would have to check with CIC to see if there is anything you can do.

Brian_Morison

Mar 22, 2016
Hi again
Just to make things clear, is "certified copies" means he need to sign on the copies?
Does he need to write something else?

If I'm copying his documents and then print it using standard printer, is it acceptable copy?