+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Eligibility While Abroad

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
I'm a Canadian PR holder since 2020, set to expire in 2025. I obtained my PR through family sponsorship by my Canadian wife. Due to challenging circumstances, we had to leave Canada and work abroad. Our children are Canadian citizens. As a PR holder with a Stateless Travel Document (no passport), I'm wondering if I can apply for citizenship and count days abroad given our situation forced us to live outside Canada. We've faced numerous challenges, including the loss and illness of our family members, not to mention the difficulties associated with my stateless travel document.

Additionally, I would like to know when I should start the renewal process for my PR, whether I need to be in Canada for it, and what part of the process requires me to be inside Canada.

BR
Mi

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a Canadian PR holder since 2020, set to expire in 2025. I obtained my PR through family sponsorship by my Canadian wife. Due to challenging circumstances, we had to leave Canada and work abroad. Our children are Canadian citizens. As a PR holder with a Stateless Travel Document (no passport), I'm wondering if I can apply for citizenship and count days abroad given our situation forced us to live outside Canada. We've faced numerous challenges, including the loss and illness of our family members, not to mention the difficulties associated with my stateless travel document.

Additionally, I would like to know when I should start the renewal process for my PR, whether I need to be in Canada for it, and what part of the process requires me to be inside Canada.

BR
Mi
Days abroad cannot be counted towards the citizenship residency requirement.

Wait until you are back in Canada to submit the application to renew your PR card.

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
So, you mean I can renew it any time before it expires? Like, even before 1 year? Also, they will renew my PR because I am living with my Canadian wife. Do I need to prepare some sort of financial proof that I am accompanying my wife, or just proof that we are living together is enough?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, you mean I can renew it any time before it expires? Like, even before 1 year? Also, they will renew my PR because I am living with my Canadian wife. Do I need to prepare some sort of financial proof that I am accompanying my wife, or just proof that we are living together is enough?
No, you cannot renew at any time. The earliest you can submit the application to renew is 9 months before the card expires. Yes, you will need to include proof in the application that you are accompanying your Canadian citizenship spouse outside of Canada.

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
Thank you so much you are literally saving my life; last 2 question if you allow me..

the “accompanying” here means living same address ? Or it means that she is the one who tackle the expenses of mine? Cuz my wife is currently not working and i am the one who pay everything…

and for the renewal prior expiration by 9 months, i have to be in Canada to submit the application or its fine to do it while outside?

much appreciated

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much you are literally saving my life; last 2 question if you allow me..

the “accompanying” here means living same address ? Or it means that she is the one who tackle the expenses of mine? Cuz my wife is currently not working and i am the one who pay everything…

and for the renewal prior expiration by 9 months, i have to be in Canada to submit the application or its fine to do it while outside?

much appreciated
1) 'Accompanying': there is no simple clear answer, this is the 'who-accompanied-whom' question that comes up here from time to time. For the most part, it does not seem to matter, i.e. as long as the couple clearly accompanying each other (i.e. residing together). There are periodic attempts/stories/cases (even documented in relevant court decisions) where IRCC attempts to be more strict; these seem to be mostly where the PR never resided in Canada at all and possibly where the two have no ties to Canada. No way to get this sorted in advance, but assuming you resided in Canada for a couple of years before leaving (you were vague about whether you spent much time in Canada), probably not a problem. Unlikely anyone can give you more certainty in advance, and IRCC's approach could change in future.

2) You should only apply for this when in Canada.

Reactions: scylla

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
Many thanks - unfortunately we didnt spend much time in Canada due to our circumstances in Dubai (Family conditions, kids schools , etc.)

we only go Canada during vacations and we are planning to buy a house there soon as well.

but given the fact that there is a grey area in terms of Canadian’s decision within my PR renewal, i should reconsider all the possibilities over here…

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Many thanks - unfortunately we didnt spend much time in Canada due to our circumstances in Dubai (Family conditions, kids schools , etc.)

we only go Canada during vacations and we are planning to buy a house there soon as well.
Was your Canadian spouse (sponsor) already residing abroad when you were sponsored? How much time did you spend in Canada at/after landing?

This is a profile that potentially may have issues. Again, we can't say.

Note: you wrote in your first post "Due to challenging circumstances, we had to leave Canada and work abroad." You might want to consult a professional - a lawyer - with whom you can be frank about the circumstances.

Reactions: scylla

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
Actually we have married abroad Canada, and once we landed we just lived there less than 6 months. And by that time we had to leave because she got an offer from google in Dubai.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

but given the fact that there is a grey area in terms of Canadian’s decision within my PR renewal, i should reconsider all the possibilities over here…
You're in a grey area. Unfortunately none of us will be able to tell you how this will work out. IRCC may renew your PR card without batting an eye or you may face a questions. It's a dice roll. The answer would be much more clear cut if you had lived in Canada for a while before leaving after getting PR.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Actually we have married abroad Canada, and once we landed we just lived there less than 6 months. And by that time we had to leave because she got an offer from google in Dubai.
Ok - so it's good you moved because of her job. Show evidence of that.

MichealEt

Mar 21, 2024
I know somone similar to my case; actually he drove to USA and he counted days toward his citizenship and he simply win (although i dont know the details of what he exactly did)

but isnt this fraud / manipulation? And how Canada does not catch anyone left/enter the by car

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know somone similar to my case; actually he drove to USA and he counted days toward his citizenship and he simply win (although i dont know the details of what he exactly did)

but isnt this fraud / manipulation? And how Canada does not catch anyone left/enter the by car
It's hard to comment with so few details. If he lived in Canada and commuted to the US for work daily, then totally possible to qualify for citizenship this way.

If he simply moved to the US and was outside of Canada and lied about this, this is misrepresentation which will cause big problems if caught in the future.

You don't have the full details and may be missing something key. So probably doesn't make sense to compare to your situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Also, are you sure he claimed this time towards citizenship and not PR? These calculations fall under different rules.