+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship e-certificate - Effective date of citizenship is incorrect?

Eve2019

Sep 8, 2020
I could finally download my certificate today. When I checked the certificate, I noticed that the Effective date of citizenship is today, June 15th!
The date when I downloaded the certificate for the first time. My oath was on June 6, and I sent the oath form right after the ceremony. My application was complete on June 7.
Is that an error on the certificate?

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
I could finally download my certificate today. When I checked the certificate, I noticed that the Effective date of citizenship is today, June 15th!
The date when I downloaded the certificate for the first time. My oath was on June 6, and I sent the oath form right after the ceremony. My application was complete on June 7.
Is that an error on the certificate?
Yes, looks like it. It should ceremony date, you should send an email for correction.

Reactions: Eve2019

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Does it really matter? Lol.
It’s just a week apart. There’s no award for being a citizen earlier :D
It may seem insignificant, but technically once you take the oath you are a citizen. If in future if you have to fill your status in each country you have lived, what dates do you put for PR vs citizenship? Better to get it corrected rather than be in a dilemma in such situations :)

Reactions: Eve2019

Eve2019

Sep 8, 2020
It may seem insignificant, but technically once you take the oath you are a citizen. If in future if you have to fill your status in each country you have lived, what dates do you put for PR vs citizenship? Better to get it corrected rather than be in a dilemma in such situations :)
Exactly!

Plus, it's simply incorrect and it invalidates the certificate.

Babybae

Jan 15, 2018
Canada
Lol I was being funny haha!

Great you got it changed!