+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship - decision made in ECAS Feb 16, 2018 but no letter yet

Balboul

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Hi all,

I aced my citizenship test on Feb 1st 2018 and had an interview with a CO afterward, which I believe turned out fine. The CO told me they'll get back to me in a month or two. Last week Friday, I logged into my ECAS and saw "decision made." Is this looking good?

Why u had an interview
I thought a test is the only thing u do

Reactions: whizlon

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
My time line
This should give you all an idea of what the time line is gonna be like. Bear in mind, this will vary from office to office as some of you mentioned. Please make sure that your relevant details are all kept up to date and keep an eye on your ECAS, e-mail (including spam folder) and your address mail box.

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 16, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on December 4, 2017.
  4. We sent you a notice on January 2, 2018 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
  5. We sent you a notice on February 21, 2018 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on March 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Why u had an interview
I thought a test is the only thing u do
Apparently, the interview process is becoming a common practice now for for every applicant to experience after sitting their test. CIC wants to use this opportunity to review your application with you in person and determine whether or not you've met the criteria (including knowing English or French). Mind you, a lot of past applicants have abused the application credibility. If you have any discrepancies (for example, absences from Canada that you did not declare) on your application, you will have an opportunity to explain your mistake(s). Please be truthful on your application or risk having it refused or even delayed.
It's also common for other developed countries such as the USA to interview their citizenship applicants. Remember everyone, getting Canadian citizenship is a life changing decision and should not be taken lightly. It's an opportunity that millions of people around the world would be willing to make drastic sacrifices for.

Reactions: karanoha

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
what is your office ,, and what is you application time line ???
Mine is Surrey and see my time line posted below. What's your office again? I've also spoken to a few other colleagues who applied for citizenship before me and my oath date is before theirs. I can't explain that one.

Last edited:

Balboul

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Apparently, the interview process is becoming a common practice now for for every applicant to experience after sitting their test. CIC wants to use this opportunity to review your application with you in person and determine whether or not you've met the criteria (including knowing English or French). Mind you, a lot of past applicants have abused the application credibility. If you have any discrepancies (for example, absences from Canada that you did not declare) on your application, you will have an opportunity to explain your mistake(s). Please be truthful on your application or risk having it refused or even delayed.
It's also common for other developed countries such as the USA to interview their citizenship applicants. Remember everyone, getting Canadian citizenship is a life changing decision and should not be taken lightly. It's an opportunity that millions of people around the world would be willing to make drastic sacrifices for.
I dont do any mistake in my aplication all true and exact
Also my linguistique knowledge are good both in French and English

I m just asking why the interview for as other applicants here dont mention that they had interview just test

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013

I m just asking why the interview for as other applicants here dont mention that they had interview just test
No hard feelings, Balboul. I'm just adding additional information that maybe helpful to the other forum users. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd encourage you and everyone else to keep your selves informed about the citizenship application process using the CIC website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html). As much as like to learn from you all, which I have, I still always verify the info using CIC website.
If anyone else had an interview, please share your experience.

Balboul

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
No hard feelings, Balboul. I'm just adding additional information that maybe helpful to the other forum users. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd encourage you and everyone else to keep your selves informed about the citizenship application process using the CIC website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html). As much as like to learn from you all, which I have, I still always verify the info using CIC website.
If anyone else had an interview, please share your experience.

I have no hard feeling
I just annalyse what u said
U said interview is because to know the applicants speaking abilities and to question them about any mistakes or doubts of the application
But the question is
Everybody they do interview after test or just some

Reactions: emadkeriakus

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
I have no hard feeling
I just annalyse what u said
U said interview is because to know the applicants speaking abilities and to question them about any mistakes or doubts of the application
But the question is
Everybody they do interview after test or just some
Ok no worries. According to the CIC website, they only test and interview people between the ages 18 and 54. If anyone else had/did not have an interview experience, let's hope they share.
I want to also add that my interview experience was long because I traveled a lot in the past and they verified every stamp, passport, VISA i ever possessed. For language assessment, they asked me general questions such as what I do for work and all. I heard from other people that if the CO thinks you're not proficient in either French or English, it can be an issue. Further more, during the application process, you're expected to show proof ( at least proof of completion of secondary school in English or French) that you're proficient in either English or French.

Reactions: torontoguy87

Balboul

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Ok no worries. According to the CIC website, they only test and interview people between the ages 18 and 54. If anyone else had/did not have an interview experience, let's hope they share.
I want to also add that my interview experience was long because I traveled a lot in the past and they verified every stamp, passport, VISA i ever possessed. For language assessment, they asked me general questions such as what I do for work and all. I heard from other people that if the CO thinks you're not proficient in either French or English, it can be an issue. Further more, during the application process, you're expected to show proof ( at least proof of completion of secondary school in English or French) that you're proficient in either English or French.
Profeciency in french and english i have university diplomas here in Canada
About travels
Idid not travel
Only one time
So i do t have problems
I think interview only for people who have complicated cases

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Profeciency in french and english i have university diplomas here in Canada
About travels
Idid not travel
Only one time
So i do t have problems
I think interview only for people who have complicated cases
Balboul, it appears that your application will be smooth sailing based on what you share. In order to receive your test results, you have to see the CO who will check in with you, then share your results with you. Your interview may be quick since you did not travel too much. I took the test with 30 odd applicants and we all were interviewed. Some of our interviews were short and some were long.

Reactions: Balboul

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Balboul, it appears that your application will be smooth sailing based on what you share. In order to receive your test results, you have to see the CO who will check in with you, then share your results with you. Your interview may be quick since you did travel too much. I took the test with 30 odd applicants and we all were interviewed. Some of our interviews were short and some were long.
Whats your CIC office?

Balboul

Star Member
Nov 9, 2017
Balboul, it appears that your application will be smooth sailing based on what you share. In order to receive your test results, you have to see the CO who will check in with you, then share your results with you. Your interview may be quick since you did not travel too much. I took the test with 30 odd applicants and we all were interviewed. Some of our interviews were short and some were long.

U r right
I think if u have too much going on in the information of the application they ll take too much time
But i have one question for me now i m not working as i m pregnant and dont want to work as i already lost one baby while working and now i m just home i prefer not to work until i deliver my baby
Do u think that in the interview they ask why u dont work now ?!?!?

whizlon

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
U r right
I think if u have too much going on in the information of the application they ll take too much time
But i have one question for me now i m not working as i m pregnant and dont want to work as i already lost one baby while working and now i m just home i prefer not to work until i deliver my baby
Do u think that in the interview they ask why u dont work now ?!?!?
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Balboul. They might ask such a question (just for curiosity) but having employment is not a prerequisite for citizenship.

Reactions: Balboul

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga

I had interview as well. And everyone along with me giving the test had it too. CO dont take that much time with one person until they actually want to know about a person.
My interview was pretty straight forward. Just checked my passport and other documents and then told me the result. Thats it.

Reactions: whizlon