Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
I applied for my daughter's canadian citizenship certificate along with her canadian passport in september 2008 in the office in Lima, Peru. We got her passport in 2 weeks and it is valid for 1 year only (meaning it will expire on september 2009)
In october we sent my application for residency and it got approved in march 2009, at the moment we both are already in Canada, my bf in a canadian citizen.
We had heard nothing from the embassy about her citizenship certificate until now. I emailed the embassy and they told me the file still in process in Nova Scotia and gave me the case number.
I checked ecas and it says they received the application in october 2008 and start processing in may 2009 (7 months later!!)
Is it normal? when can I expect this to be finalized? we want to apply for her SIN number, and we cannot do it without it, also her passport will expire in 3 months and we need the citizenship certificate to be able to renew it...
Also, we started the process in Peru, but now we are in Canada, the ECAS page says we can change the mailing address for the application (which is set up as the address of the canadian embassy in Peru) Should we change the address to our candadian address , or will it delay the process? Can I contact CIC about this now that we are in Canada , or because it was started in Peru we should only contact the embassy?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thefairy said:
I applied for my daughter's canadian citizenship certificate along with her canadian passport in september 2008 in the office in Lima, Peru. We got her passport in 2 weeks and it is valid for 1 year only (meaning it will expire on september 2009)
In october we sent my application for residency and it got approved in march 2009, at the moment we both are already in Canada, my bf in a canadian citizen.
We had heard nothing from the embassy about her citizenship certificate until now. I emailed the embassy and they told me the file still in process in Nova Scotia and gave me the case number.
I checked ecas and it says they received the application in october 2008 and start processing in may 2009 (7 months later!!)
Is it normal? when can I expect this to be finalized? we want to apply for her SIN number, and we cannot do it without it, also her passport will expire in 3 months and we need the citizenship certificate to be able to renew it...
Also, we started the process in Peru, but now we are in Canada, the ECAS page says we can change the mailing address for the application (which is set up as the address of the canadian embassy in Peru) Should we change the address to our candadian address , or will it delay the process? Can I contact CIC about this now that we are in Canada , or because it was started in Peru we should only contact the embassy?
1. Processing time for proof of citizenship is 12-15 months. So it will be Oct/09 to Dec/09 probably before you receive it.
2. You can apply for another temporary passport with proof of the application for proof of citizenship, now they are issuing 2 year passports.
3. The only reason a child would need a SIN is for RESP.

PMM

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
Yes PMM! we would like to apply for a RESP for her!
Now my question is... since they received the file in oct 2008 but just started processing it in may 2009, do i count the 12-15 months from october 08 or from may 09?
I hope we get it soon!
thanks!

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
thank you! Do u think I should call them to change the address now that we are in Canada? Or will it be sent to the embassy in Peru anyways?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thefairy said:
thank you! Do u think I should call them to change the address now that we are in Canada? Or will it be sent to the embassy in Peru anyways?
Inform CIC either through ecas and the call centre (do both) of the address change.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp

PMM

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
Thank u PMM :) have a nice day!

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
So we just received in the mail my daugthers certificate of canadian citizenship! yay!
It took 11 months!
My question is... it has a picture of her being only 1 week old (thats when we started the process) doesnt show any expiration date or so... is this something we will need to renew every now and then for her? Because when she grows and wants to renew her passport will that certificate be enough given it will show the picture of her as an infant?