+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate Name Change Help!!

bhkr0008

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 January 9 AOR2 March 3
File Transfer...
17-01-2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 2014/RE-MEDS DONE OCT 2015
Interview........
HOPE NO
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
Hello all,

I need your help. I got my Citizenship in 2002 and would like to change my middle and last name after my marriage. Please advise the process which application I have to fill out and the required documents.

Thank you

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
google first ontario & federal name change laws.

name change is admistered first at provincial level and second step is updating your whole other ID like health card, Drivers License and finally passport & proof of citizenship which comes at $$$.

first step is to call Service Ontario or provincial government you live @ who will change your name including even sex stuff, then they will let you also know federal service canada migitation & final step with them.

i believe fees start at $350 & up extra for second name.

name change can only cause you delays @ international borders and be ready for that. I suggest you only change (1) only last only but keep first and middle.

i believe you want to get rid of Iranian or Indian name for easy travel to USA & easy intrgration into canadian society. Lol haha just saying the truth.

Last edited:

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Hello all,

I need your help. I got my Citizenship in 2002 and would like to change my middle and last name after my marriage. Please advise the process which application I have to fill out and the required documents.

Thank you
I am not sure, but my understanding is, if you have adopted your husband’s name after marriage it should say this in your marriage certificate? If it does you do not have to ask for name change but just present the marriage certificate when applying for new passport. If you want to change your name to something else than it is more complicated.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Thank you
You can change your last name to your marital name by sending a copy of your marriage certificate along with your application for a new Citizenship certificate. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp#CIT0001E4

If you want to change your middle name, you will need to apply for an official name change in the province where you reside. See, for example:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name

bhkr0008

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 January 9 AOR2 March 3
File Transfer...
17-01-2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 2014/RE-MEDS DONE OCT 2015
Interview........
HOPE NO
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
I am not sure, but my understanding is, if you have adopted your husband’s name after marriage it should say this in your marriage certificate? If it does you do not have to ask for name change but just present the marriage certificate when applying for new passport. If you want to change your name to something else than it is more complicated.
I went to passport office to change my name and they told me you have to do a legal name change first which is on your citizenship certificate then after 5 month come back and we will do the change.

Now that i have to change what would be the procedure online.

hossein61

Apr 17, 2012
I went to passport office to change my name and they told me you have to do a legal name change first which is on your citizenship certificate then after 5 month come back and we will do the change.

Now that i have to change what would be the procedure online.
Hi, I believe you already received your new citizenship certificate after the name change. I was just wondering how long it took?

hossein61

Apr 17, 2012
OK! I applied for the name change on May 2018 and received the new citizenship certificate exactly after 2 months.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hello all,

Thank you
Did you change your name? how did it go? I just started the process and I was wondering what to expect. Did you get a new citizenship certificate? thank you