+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate for a child

Jan 15, 2014
Hi,

I'm currently putting together the application for a citizenship certificate for my 4 week old baby daughter. She was born in the UK to my Canadian born Wife. I'm British.

What should I include as Identification.

Obviously I can get the Citizenship photo's it asks for.

But it asks for 2 bits of personal identification. 1 with a photo. I can obviously use her birth certificate, as it states on there that her mother is a Canadian Citizen. But I have nothing else ID wise with a photo on for my 4 week old baby.

Would her birth certificate, and a copy of my wives birth certificate be enough along with 2 citizenship photos?

thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I had this issue with my two kids. I think the only documents you will need to provide are:

British birth certificate.
British Passport (this will be the photo id)
British National Insurance Number.

These ids doc will suffice. I called about the 2 photo id requirements, CIC replied that they know they can't expect the baby to have 2 photo id all the time especially when they are less than 1 year old.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
For my case, with my kids born in US, I only had to provide the following.

US Passport
US passcard
US social security
US birth certificate.

Mind you the passport and passcard are 2 different cards but they both have identical photos as US used the same photo if applied for passport/passcard same time.

Hope these help answer your question.

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for that really appreciate it.

As she's only 4 weeks old.

She doesn't yet have a passport.

Her birth certificate shows her mothers name, and states her mother was born in Canada, so if I include that and also my wives Canadian birth certificate along with 2 photo's for the citizen photo's that should be good right. ?

As she's so young she doesn't have much ID at all! :D

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thecornerback23 said:
Thanks for that really appreciate it.

As she's only 4 weeks old.

She doesn't yet have a passport.

Her birth certificate shows her mothers name, and states her mother was born in Canada, so if I include that and also my wives Canadian birth certificate along with 2 photo's for the citizen photo's that should be good right. ?

As she's so young she doesn't have much ID at all! :D
CIC is not going to accept the application with no photo id. You will have to wait until the baby gets all the docs I shown above. I know this because I called CIC about it.

If you really want to confirm this, call the nearest Canadian Embassy to confirm that you got all the id needed. I bet they will tell you to get the docs I listed.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CIC does not want people to get citizenship so easy with just only birth certificates. You will need more government issued id docs to confirm the identity of your baby.

Jan 15, 2014
Ok Thanks. I'll have to get a British passport for the photo ID, that'd be the quickest thing to do.

Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thecornerback23 said:
Ok Thanks. I'll have to get a British passport for the photo ID, that'd be the quickest thing to do.

Thanks for your help really appreciate it.
You're welcome. Still call the Canadian Embassy to find out what docs they will accept since they will be the one reviewing application before sending it on to Canada. I am sure the Canadian Embassy knows what British IDs are required. They may even tell you if one British photo id (passport) will suffice.

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks again yes I will contact them for sure. But I will get her a British passport in the meantime. As you say then I can send a copy of that in as photo ID.

Babys are hard when applying for stuff...they don't have that much ID !...well you wouldn't at only 4 weeks old would you. lol

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I know the feeling. I had to wait for US birth certificate and social security first before I can even start the US passport for my kids. US Passports will not be done without those two ids first.

Wasn't easy to get a picture taken for passport. Once they gotten their passports, they were a little old enough to get a decent picture for citizenship pictures which their necks being a little stronger.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened had the baby not been a british citizen? It seems awfully complicated to get a Canadian passport for a baby born abroad.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
clearly said:
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened had the baby not been a british citizen? It seems awfully complicated to get a Canadian passport for a baby born abroad.
The canadian embassy would be prepared for that possibility and would advise them what their course of action would be required. I am sure that the embassy would ask for proofs that the child couldn't acquire british citizenship. But aren't all people born in Britain are british citizen under the new revised law?

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
screech339 said:
The canadian embassy would be prepared for that possibility and would advise them what their course of action would be required. I am sure that the embassy would ask for proofs that the child couldn't acquire british citizenship. But aren't all people born in Britain are british citizen under the new revised law?
Only if one of their parents is a resident.

So, according to CIC, Thecornerback23, if the child is under six years old (school age) only one form of identification is required, and it need not be photo ID.
http://www.can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng#doc

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
clearly said:
Only if one of their parents is a resident.

So, according to CIC, Thecornerback23, if the child is under six years old (school age) only one form of identification is required, and it need not be photo ID.
http://www.can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng#doc
Thanks for the link. Since the OP is planning on getting a british passport, OP would have all the id, he needs. He would be best to contact the embassy to confirm what docs are acceptable. But submitting the birth certificate alone is not enough as his original plan.

In my case, even though I would only need one other id, photo or not, the embassy in US informed me that that I needed to provide the 3 ids. The passport, social security and birth certificate in order for them to accept the application.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just wanna share my experience.

My daughter was born in S. korea, my husband is Canadian citizen.
We applied her citizenship in S .korea before her 100days.

What we send to Canada embassy in S. korea

for my husband
his birth certificate ( he had his original, but government changed whole design of certificate and Embassy has a guide book for which birth certificate is acceptable. so we had his parents sent his birth certificate from Canada )
photo copy of his passport.

for my daughter
her birth certificate from hospital.
korean government documents stated that she is registered under my (mom) family.

we did not send her korean passport, as matter of fact, she could make her korean passport after she had her canadian passport.
Before we sent her application form, we phoned so many time to embassy.
funny thing, every time we talked different person from embassy and we had new info all the time.

It would be different what canada embassy in England would ask for citizenship application.
but hope it helps though.

p.s we applied end of Oct 2013 and according to embassy in s. korea.
They are working on application received on May, 2013.

We are in Canada now and my daughter has not received her citizenship yet.