+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate by Descent

jjboulger

Jun 20, 2013
Hello!!!

I hope someone can help me with a quick question, as I could not find any post on this in the forum through searching.

I was born outside of Canada but my father is Canadian. I remember being interested a couple years ago and I found the forms they gave me. I have CIT 0001 form, as well as the guide they give you. According to the guide:

YOU WERE BORN OUTSIDE CANADA TO A CANADIAN PARENT ON OR AFTER JAN. 1, 1947
Then, send the following supporting documents:

jjboulger

Jun 20, 2013
Sorry, accidentally hit tab and posted!

So anyhoo, where we left off:

A birth certificate which lists your parents.
Proof that one or both of your natural parents were Canadian Citizens when you were born
Two pieces of personal identification
Other documents, such as marriage certificate yada yada

The thing is, I have been reading around and sometimes they mention a passport from the Canadian parent.

I currently have these documents:
Birth certificate of father (born in Quebec, with the required update)
My birth certificate listing my name along with my father and his place of birth as Quebec, Canada
My father and mother's marriage certificate

However, I have no passport from him. Is it worth sending in an application?

robinbusey

Jul 13, 2018
In my case, my father has passed away and never had a passport. I believe if the parent does not have a passport, then the birth certificate would suffice, but I am not an expert.

I believe what you have is enough. I don't believe the instructions for Proof of Citizenship require passports, correct? Perhaps that is just for naturalized citizens

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
In my case, my father has passed away and never had a passport. I believe if the parent does not have a passport, then the birth certificate would suffice, but I am not an expert.

I believe what you have is enough. I don't believe the instructions for Proof of Citizenship require passports, correct? Perhaps that is just for naturalized citizens
This thread is over five years old, and the OP hasn't posted since then. Unless he/she is still visiting this website but is just not posting, it's highly unlikely he/she will see your response.

Aside from that, a passport is an acceptable form of identification pertaining to the applicant, not the parent; the copy of the photo page of the passport can be used as the one piece of identification that requires your photo.