+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate and Passport questions

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
These call center agents know nothing. Some applicants reported they picked their certificate from the office. Some with appointments, and some walk-in. Yes, not all offices are open for in-person services, but some are.
Great, definitely it's good to ask! Thank you so much!:)

baguettemoi

Dec 1, 2021
Great, definitely it's good to ask! Thank you so much!:)
Hi, I am in a similar situation as you, and I can’t afford to wait another who knows how many months for oath ceremony if it ended up postponed. What did you end up doing? Did you go in person to pick up the certificate?Were you able to get a passport urgently? Do you know if travel documents get cancelled right after the oath ceremony? In case I need to travel back without a passport and come back to pick up my certificate whenever it’s ready? I have my job term until end of May, and I need to travel back home to see my family after a number of years I can’t count, and I can’t imagine not seeing them again this summer…I also can’t afford to lose the contract I have now. I am so torn… let me cross my fingers and hope you see this!

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Hi, I am in a similar situation as you, and I can’t afford to wait another who knows how many months for oath ceremony if it ended up postponed. What did you end up doing? Did you go in person to pick up the certificate?Were you able to get a passport urgently? Do you know if travel documents get cancelled right after the oath ceremony? In case I need to travel back without a passport and come back to pick up my certificate whenever it’s ready? I have my job term until end of May, and I need to travel back home to see my family after a number of years I can’t count, and I can’t imagine not seeing them again this summer…I also can’t afford to lose the contract I have now. I am so torn… let me cross my fingers and hope you see this!
Bottom line is that if you leave the country without a passport or PR card in hand, it's going to be super tough to get back in. Not impossible, but very, very hard and subject to the whims of the immigration officer that is processing you. If you get the Oath and immediately leave, you'll need to stay abroad until you get your Certificate (likely from having it mailed to someone in Canada, who can then forward it to you) and then you would have to apply out-of-country for a new passport. Depending on country, this could range from a few weeks to a few months.

Ultimately, your call, but I wouldn't go anywhere without passport in hand.

baguettemoi

Dec 1, 2021
Bottom line is that if you leave the country without a passport or PR card in hand, it's going to be super tough to get back in. Not impossible, but very, very hard and subject to the whims of the immigration officer that is processing you. If you get the Oath and immediately leave, you'll need to stay abroad until you get your Certificate (likely from having it mailed to someone in Canada, who can then forward it to you) and then you would have to apply out-of-country for a new passport. Depending on country, this could range from a few weeks to a few months.

Ultimately, your call, but I wouldn't go anywhere without passport in hand.
Thank you for replying. So, I am already outside of Canada, and I am thinking of having the certificate mailed to me, however, my current job ends May 31st. Do you think that is a viable option for me? My oath is scheduled the 16th of February, and I had sent atleast 3 Urgent requests a few months back, I did my interview outside of Canada, I was back for a week in January, the officer had told me that she would put in a note to have me scheduled for an Oath before end of January which didn't work out, so I had to go back to work before I got fired. I am so torn!! I did see on the website that you could apply for a temporary travel document though(for a return trip to Canada)...

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Thank you for replying. So, I am already outside of Canada, and I am thinking of having the certificate mailed to me, however, my current job ends May 31st. Do you think that is a viable option for me? My oath is scheduled the 16th of February, and I had sent atleast 3 Urgent requests a few months back, I did my interview outside of Canada, I was back for a week in January, the officer had told me that she would put in a note to have me scheduled for an Oath before end of January which didn't work out, so I had to go back to work before I got fired. I am so torn!! I did see on the website that you could apply for a temporary travel document though(for a return trip to Canada)...
If you're outside of Canada, you'll need to travel back and do the Oath. Others have had some success, at the time of Oath, having the immigration official change the mailing address to a friend here and, once that friend gets the Cert, mails it to the applicant, who then immediately turns around and files for a passport from their country of residence.

If you're in the US, then it might be relatively trivial to fly/drive to a hotel across the border and do the Oath from there. Good luck.

baguettemoi

Dec 1, 2021
If you're outside of Canada, you'll need to travel back and do the Oath. Others have had some success, at the time of Oath, having the immigration official change the mailing address to a friend here and, once that friend gets the Cert, mails it to the applicant, who then immediately turns around and files for a passport from their country of residence.

If you're in the US, then it might be relatively trivial to fly/drive to a hotel across the border and do the Oath from there. Good luck.
Does that mean there is absolutely no way of having the oath outside of Canada?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Does that mean there is absolutely no way of having the oath outside of Canada?
If you're not in service of the crown (Armed forces or some other Government post), the chances are very, very slim (read: almost nonexistent) that they'll allow the Oath to be taken outside of the country. There is someone else who claims to have had their Oath done outside of the country, but I wouldn't count on it by any means. At my Oath a couple of months ago, they ask where you're located as part of the interview. There is this thread, where someone says a "friend of a friend" got their Oath remotely, but I wouldn't bank on it.

franixsouq

Jun 20, 2014
Hi
I dont have any guarantor so i am using pptc132, wanted to know ,do i have to leave blank , the section 2 in pptc (153 10-2021)154F , and attched the guarantor form pptc132 signed by notary.

Thank you

Last edited: