+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship ceremony

Vandana23

Mar 15, 2022
Hello Senior Members,

I live in Ontario and have completed my Citizenship test in Jan 2023.
Currently awaiting the citizenship ceremony date. I am leaving to India after few weeks
and might not be able to attend the ceremony, so will have to postpone it.

1) Do I have to provide any proof that I am not in Canada?
2) What is the maximum time period allowed to stay out of Canada while awaiting ceremony date?
3) Till how much time (days/months), can I postpone the date?

Could you please guide me with this.

Thanks

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON
Hello Senior Members,

Currently awaiting the citizenship ceremony date. I am leaving to India after few weeks

2) What is the maximum time period allowed to stay out of Canada while awaiting ceremony date?

Thanks
If you just took your test in January 2023, Oath is not that close. Did you see your LANGUAGE, PROHIBITIONS, PHYSICAL PRESENCE marked as completed??

Vandana23

Mar 15, 2022
Yes you are right. LANGUAGE, PROHIBITIONS, PHYSICAL PRESENCE are still marked as In progress. So expecting the oath in few months ahead. Hopefully I should return by then. Thanks.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Senior Members,

Thanks
I think you will be due for Oath by around the end of the year.
Now if you inform IRCC about your travel they may place a virtual hold on your application till return back and inform them you are back.
IRCC unfortunately does not unfortunately provide a concierge service that they will schedule your Oath when you are back in the country etc, they may schedule it after few weeks/months.
If you receive an Oath invitation you can reply back to IRCC informing them to postpone it, but as I said above no concierge service provided..

dragon1234

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
I think you will be due for Oath by around the end of the year.
Now if you inform IRCC about your travel they may place a virtual hold on your application till return back and inform them you are back.
IRCC unfortunately does not unfortunately provide a concierge service that they will schedule your Oath when you are back in the country etc, they may schedule it after few weeks/months.
If you receive an Oath invitation you can reply back to IRCC informing them to postpone it, but as I said above no concierge service provided..
End of the year? Why? Its clearly mentioned the average time for oath after the test is 3-4 months

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
End of the year? Why? Its clearly mentioned the average time for oath after the test is 3-4 months
If you as per official IRCC timelines for application processing its 23 months

1 year is an avg processing time (from the time applications is submitted) for most applicants..
Some maybe quicker some maybe delayed

2021 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=1674299663
2022 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_KE3Bu3C3gOyEm0mRVcJH9nEA2u2GOhfpUZOckOWmN0/edit#gid=1316748968
2023 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZjxBlTxM-FC5b0riTWQetmW0DsPX7Bgt5QQ9HTbP7I/edit#gid=1316748968

I would like to know from where did you see "clearly mentioned the average time for oath after the test is 3-4 months"

Last edited:
Reactions: gir_8

dragon1234

Star Member
Feb 11, 2018
If you as per official IRCC timelines for application processing its 23 months

1 year is an avg processing time (from the time applications is submitted) for most applicants..
Some maybe quicker some maybe delayed

2021 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=1674299663
2022 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_KE3Bu3C3gOyEm0mRVcJH9nEA2u2GOhfpUZOckOWmN0/edit#gid=1316748968
2023 Applicants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZjxBlTxM-FC5b0riTWQetmW0DsPX7Bgt5QQ9HTbP7I/edit#gid=1316748968

I would like to know from where did you see "clearly mentioned the average time for oath after the test is 3-4 months"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-ceremony.html

"In most cases the ceremony takes place 4 to 6 months after you pass the citizenship test"

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON
Hello Senior Members,

Thanks
After waiting for so long, it is the best to complete your citizenship and go on your scheduled travels after. (If the travel is not time sensitive or urgent) Re scheduling can be another stretch of weeks, months of wait before you can become a citizen..

veniCA

Feb 3, 2023
When they say average, 80% of applications are completed in that time. Yours could be faster but 4-6 months after test is a good bet. I've seen someone in this forum postpone their oath from Oct 20222 to Mar 2023 so a few months may be acceptable?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
When they say average, 80% of applications are completed in that time. Yours could be faster but 4-6 months after test is a good bet. I've seen someone in this forum postpone their oath from Oct 20222 to Mar 2023 so a few months may be acceptable?
In 2020/2021 (which is the latest reported) they hit 10% of that instead of the targeted 80%.

marygbrasil

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
Hi! So you’ll probably not be able to do your ceremony in time for your trip. And either way, you’ll still have to wait at least a week after the ceremony to have a passport (even with urgent processing granted). I recommend you wait until you receive the official ceremony invitation letter over email (they send it to you a couple of weeks beforehand) and let them know that you’d like to reschedule then! They’re very quick to respond in Toronto. Additionally, if you’d like to get a better understanding of the timelines, check this tracker I’ve been using throughout my whole process: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/canadian-citizenship-processing-tracker. It really helped with understanding how long it takes to go from the test to the ceremony these days!

AK41

Oct 4, 2023
Hello Senior Members,

Thanks

I did my test in Feb 2023, curious to know if you received your oath ceremony date yet ? Thank you