+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship ceremony

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
hey guys tomorrow is my oath ceremony, what should i take with me?
Invitation letter
Id’s
Passport
Pr card
Any other thing i might be forgetting?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Invitation letter
Id’s
Passport
Pr card
Take the original COPR document. Some places require it, some don't. My oath invitation explicitly required it to be taken.

When you come to your citizenship ceremony, you must bring with you:
  • this notice;
  • 2 pieces of personal identification, one of which has your photograph and signature on it;
(e.g. driver's license, health card, Permanent Resident Card);
Note: minors are not required to show identification with a signature.​
  • All of the original documents that you submitted with your citizenship application – Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688);
  • Permanent Resident Card (if you have a landing document and a Permanent Resident Card, you must bring both of them);
  • All passports and travel documents in your possession (current and expired);
  • (optional) a holy book, of your choice, if you wish to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship;

Last edited:

surreymeluk

Oct 1, 2018
Hmmm, thats interesting, my invitation letter for the Oath recently received, says it differently...
'When you come to your citizenship ceremony bring with you' etc., etc.,
and....
'All of the 'original' documents in your possession - Immigration record of landing or comfirmation of permenant residency.
I take this to be all these IRCC issued documents!.... it does not state 'orignal documents that you submittted with your application'
Maybe they have changed the requirement now. I mean have they really got time to go through again ALL of the original documents that one took to the test and interview... if so, thats alot of paper carrying! Any thoughts on this different wording. Anyone else with oath letter saying 'in your possession'

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Invitation letter
Id’s
Passport
Pr card
Generally best to follow the instructions in the Notice actually received.

These instructions ordinarily specify the same documents as the notice for the test and interview did. Generally this includes the originals of all documents submitted with the application, which includes all travel documents which were used or could have been used, or otherwise MAY have been valid, since five years PREVIOUS to the date the application was made.

THAT SAID, as a practical matter the vast majority of reports consistently indicate that the only documents actually required, that is the only documents actually asked for during the oath ceremony check-in, in practice, are the citizenship-candidate's PR card (once a decision has been made and the oath scheduled, citizenship applicants are designated citizenship candidates) and the signed form affirming NO prohibitions. Reports vary some as to whether the citizenship-candidate is sent the no prohibitions form and instructed to bring that with them to the ceremony, or the citizenship-candidate is presented the form during check-in to be signed then and there.

There are only sporadic reports of citizenship-candidates asked to present any additional documents. THE MAIN THING DURING OATH CEREMONY CHECK-IN IS THE CANDIDATE'S SURRENDER OF the PR CARD, which ordinarily suffices to verify the CANDIDATE'S IDENTITY, plus affirmation that the candidate still has no criminal charges or other prohibitions.

Thus, even when IRCC asks (that is actually asks at the check-in) for more than the candidate's PR card and signature on no-prohibitions form (even the latter is sometimes merely a request for verbal affirmation), with RARE EXCEPTIONS what IRCC asks for are documents further verifying identity.

Thus, it is best to follow the instructions, in the specific notice the candidate receives (not someone's else's notice or what someone else reports the candidate should bring . . . ALWAYS pay attention to the specific instructions in the communication actually received). BUT OTHERWISE BE SURE TO BRING THE PR CARD, CURRENT PASSPORT (or for persons who do not have a current passport, which mostly applies to refugees, whatever travel document(s) the candidate has), AND ADDITIONAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.

NOTE: Once the applicant is scheduled for the oath, and designated a citizenship-candidate, it is very unusual for candidates to run into issues resulting in further processing or screening. But it sometimes does happens (such as where, somehow, IRCC becomes advised of additional information which is sufficient to raise a concern that needs to be resolved prior to taking the oath). THIS is RARE. Probably very rare. It is this situation, however, that probably explains the isolated reports of individuals being asked for documents in addition to surrendering PR card and further identification.

surreymeluk

Oct 1, 2018
Generally best to follow the instructions in the Notice actually received.

These instructions ordinarily specify the same documents as the notice for the test and interview did. Generally this includes the originals of all documents submitted with the application, which includes all travel documents which were used or could have been used, or otherwise MAY have been valid, since five years PREVIOUS to the date the application was made.

THAT SAID, as a practical matter the vast majority of reports consistently indicate that the only documents actually required, that is the only documents actually asked for during the oath ceremony check-in, in practice, are the citizenship-candidate's PR card (once a decision has been made and the oath scheduled, citizenship applicants are designated citizenship candidates) and the signed form affirming NO prohibitions. Reports vary some as to whether the citizenship-candidate is sent the no prohibitions form and instructed to bring that with them to the ceremony, or the citizenship-candidate is presented the form during check-in to be signed then and there.

There are only sporadic reports of citizenship-candidates asked to present any additional documents. THE MAIN THING DURING OATH CEREMONY CHECK-IN IS THE CANDIDATE'S SURRENDER OF the PR CARD, which ordinarily suffices to verify the CANDIDATE'S IDENTITY, plus affirmation that the candidate still has no criminal charges or other prohibitions.

Thus, even when IRCC asks (that is actually asks at the check-in) for more than the candidate's PR card and signature on no-prohibitions form (even the latter is sometimes merely a request for verbal affirmation), with RARE EXCEPTIONS what IRCC asks for are documents further verifying identity.

Thus, it is best to follow the instructions, in the specific notice the candidate receives (not someone's else's notice or what someone else reports the candidate should bring . . . ALWAYS pay attention to the specific instructions in the communication actually received). BUT OTHERWISE BE SURE TO BRING THE PR CARD, CURRENT PASSPORT (or for persons who do not have a current passport, which mostly applies to refugees, whatever travel document(s) the candidate has), AND ADDITIONAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.

NOTE: Once the applicant is scheduled for the oath, and designated a citizenship-candidate, it is very unusual for candidates to run into issues resulting in further processing or screening. But it sometimes does happens (such as where, somehow, IRCC becomes advised of additional information which is sufficient to raise a concern that needs to be resolved prior to taking the oath). THIS is RARE. Probably very rare. It is this situation, however, that probably explains the isolated reports of individuals being asked for documents in addition to surrendering PR card and further identification.
Thankyou dpenabill for your detailed response, its good to be prepared, however, I,m still curious as to if other applicants are receiving Oath invitations with the actual wording of 'All original documents 'IN YOUR POSSESSION' instead of documents 'SUBMITTED WITH YOUR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION'
I suppose it depends on how one interprets it.... given that it refers to COPR and Landing papers only!