+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Card renewal issue

beatitboss

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question with regards to my Citizenship Card.

I was born to a Canadian father abroad and I mainly used to live abroad throughout my entire life.

Even though I've spent only a limited amount of time in Canada I am in possession of a valid Canadian Passport and of a SIN Card.

However the trick is that my Citizenship Card looks a little bit outdated as the picture shows my face when I was around 1 year old.

Currently I live in Australia and I am planning on moving to Canada in the upcoming years with my non-Candian partner.

The "Application for a Citizenship Certificate” asks me to tick a box describing my current marital status.

My fiancee lives with me since almost 3 years now and we've known each other for a little less than 6.

Technically I am in a common law relationship but the Canadian Government has no clue that I am actually sharing my life with someone overseas.

Now the thing is that I could mark single as well as common law. In the eyes of the Government I am single since I've never declared to any authority that we've been together.

Should I then say “common law” on the application form or should I perhaps call the Consulate or send in an other form saying that I have a partner since .... and then apply for replacement of my Citizenship Card?

I am fearing that if I don't declare my finacee in this application, the Immigration Department could potentially say that I was lying when I applied to sponsor her since I claim that we've been together since 2008 whereas the Citizenship Card application says otherwise?

Sorry for making it so looooong but I don't want to get it wrong.

All replies will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
Two words: "Be honest"

On a side note: CIC stopped issuing wallet-sized citizenship cards since 2012. You do not have to re-apply if you still have your old citizenship card and certificate. If you re-apply, you will only get a letter-sized certificate with no photo.

beatitboss

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Intel said:
Two words: "Be honest"

On a side note: CIC stopped issuing wallet-sized citizenship cards since 2012. You do not have to re-apply if you still have your old citizenship card and certificate. If you re-apply, you will only get a letter-sized certificate with no photo.
Hi Mate,

Thanks a lot for your reply, well if they don't issue cards any longer, then I am gonna stick to the one I have so far!

Thanks a lot!