+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship by Descent, grandfather

szend1980

Apr 8, 2020
hello! My situation is a bit complex, hoping to find answers here. My grandfather became Canadian in 1945 or 1946 most likely. My mother (who's the daughter of my Canadian grandfather) has not applied for any Canadian citizenship ever. She was and myself is Hungarian. Question I have is what if any difference does this make if I am planning to move or migrate to Canada? Where can I obtain legal documents held at any authorities in Canada (Vancouver) with regards my grandfather? He'd passed in 1987. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciate it. Is there any law for grandparent-grandson relation for citizenship applications? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello! My situation is a bit complex, hoping to find answers here. My grandfather became Canadian in 1945 or 1946 most likely. My mother (who's the daughter of my Canadian grandfather) has not applied for any Canadian citizenship ever. She was and myself is Hungarian. Question I have is what if any difference does this make if I am planning to move or migrate to Canada? Where can I obtain legal documents held at any authorities in Canada (Vancouver) with regards my grandfather? He'd passed in 1987. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciate it. Is there any law for grandparent-grandson relation for citizenship applications? Thank you
Unfortunately you don’t qualify for Canadian citizenship and must immigrate like anyone else.

Reactions: szend1980

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You do not qualify for Canadian citizenship by decent.

Having a Canadian grandparent does not give you any advantages in immigrating. No need to obtain any documents or paperwork related to your grandfather's citizenship. You'll need to follow the same process as anyone else to apply for permanent residency.

Reactions: szend1980

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your mother have to be born in Canada in order for you to be citizen. Because as it is you are 2nd generation, so tough luck.

Wyfarer

Jul 19, 2018
Is your mother still alive? She could get Canadian citizenship if not born in Canada. But, even if she did get Canadian citizenship that way (via her father, your granddad), I don't think you can get citizenship unless you are a minor.