+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications Delivered: October 16-20, 2017 (C6)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
CIC website says that in most cases applicants would be invited for Oath within 3 months after the interview:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=363&top=5

Why would you suggest 6 months as normal?
I did not suggest that 6 months was normal.

I am not sure what you mean by "normal" (particularly since IRCC timelines vary so widely), so I cannot relate my observations to what is "normal" in the context of citizenship application processing.

What I said was:
"There is NO hint, none at all, based on the timeline, an application is stalled or delayed, UNLESS . . .
. . . The applicant has not been scheduled for the Oath within 12 to 14 months after date application delivered to CPC-Sydney or within six to eight months of the PI interview date and test passed"

And that is what I meant: NO reason to be anxious something is awry EVEN if six months has passed since the test and PI Interview.

I have no reason to quarrel with the IRCC information which states, as you observe, "In most cases, the ceremony takes place within three months after you pass the test."

"Most cases" means at least one more than half. That allows for many, many others to be scheduled for the ceremony more than three months after the test . . . and indeed there are scores of anecdotal reports IRCC has taken upwards of six or eight months, after the test and interview, to actually schedule applicants for the oath ceremony . . . WITH NO indication that anything is awry.

That is, there is a difference between how long it goes for those processed faster, how long it goes for half plus some, and how long it goes for many others. Many entirely routine cases ("routine cases" meaning those for which there are no additional actions, no FPs, no requests for additional information, and so on) can and do fall into the group taking longer. The mere fact it is taking longer does NOT mean something is wrong or that there is anything the applicant needs to do, or even can do, to make it go any faster.

Perhaps it will help to observe that in reference to when an application has IP status, I proffered there is no reason to think something is wrong UNLESS it has taken more than five to seven months AFTER AOR for the application to get IP status. However, the majority ("most") applicants appear to be reporting IP in well less than that time. Others in the forum sometimes use terms like "average" or, as you have, "normal," and perhaps for the timeline AOR to IP many might think the average or normal timeline is two to three months (perhaps less). NOT five to seven. BUT I am not suggesting an "average" or "normal" timeline. I am highlighting that even if it is five to seven months, NO NEED to WORRY, the time gone by is no sign anything is wrong (with some exceptions, mostly for those who know of a reason to apprehend something is wrong without considering how long it is taking).

Some cases take longer. There is NO reason to worry when that happens. (Unless, as I proposed, it has gone longer than the ballpark ranges I proffered.)

And it is not fair to make applicants afraid, anxious, if their application is taking longer . . . whether that is longer than the faster timelines being reported in the spread sheets or longer than it takes in "most cases" even.

To be clear, the range of timelines I posed are merely BALLPARK ranges. There is no exact science. There are no definitive timelines. There are merely the possible and likely ranges we can glean from multiple sources, recognizing the timelines tend to be in flux, variable among applicants, and varying at different times.

And, as I have noted there are caveats.

A big caveat is that indeed some applicants have reason to worry, BUT almost all such applicants already know it and know the reason. How long things are taking does not offer these applicants much if any insight into what impact their reason to worry will have.

The vast majority do not have a reason to worry. The vast majority do not need to worry even if it has been six or more months since they passed the test and still have not taken the oath.

I recognize that many want more definitive information about what will happen when, especially about WHEN. That is not how it goes for the majority of citizenship applicants. Many are pleasantly surprised at how quickly their application proceeds to the test and the oath. (My own ceremony took place within two days.) Others have to wait longer. And more than a few will have to wait quite a lot longer.

Unless the wait goes way, way long . . . 12 to 14 months after the application was submitted, or six to eight months after the test, the amount of time gone by is NO REASON to WORRY. Waiting and watching for notice remains the play of the day.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

Nkhlkumar

Jun 6, 2016
Guys,

I have a quick question. I applied for my citizenship on Oct. 19th of 2017. I received my test date today which has been scheduled for July 5, 2018.
I'll be traveling to India from Jul. 27, 2018 to Aug 29, 2018, as I am getting married. Now, I'm confused if my oath ceremony gets fixed for a date within the period of my vacation, what can I possibly do. Please help.

Thank you,
Nick.

Guys,

I have a quick question. I applied for my citizenship on Oct. 19th of 2017. I received my test date today which has been scheduled for July 5, 2018.
I'll be traveling to India from Jul. 27, 2018 to Aug 29, 2018, as I am getting married. Now, I'm confused if my oath ceremony gets fixed for a date within the period of my vacation, what can I possibly do. Please help.

Thank you,
Nick.
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I think you can let them know during the interview that you plan to travel and the dates so that they can note on your file for you. If the interviewer is not able to do it he or she will advise you.
Good luck.

Reactions: Nkhlkumar

Nkhlkumar

Jun 6, 2016
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I think you can let them know during the interview that you plan to travel and the dates so that they can note on your file for you. If the interviewer is not able to do it he or she will advise you.
Good luck.
Perfect. Thank you so much.

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
During oath ceremony,will they check our passports and original docs again please?
Thanks

hime

Jun 15, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
22-05-2015
During oath ceremony,will they check our passports and original docs again please?
Thanks
Copy paste from Oath Invite:

When you come to this appointment, you must bring with you:
 this notice;
 2 pieces of personal identification, one of which has your photograph and signature on it;
(e.g. driver's license, health card, Permanent Resident Card, etc.)
 all your original documents that support your citizenship application (as listed in the document
checklist in the citizenship application form);
 Permanent Resident Card (if you have ever received one);
 all original passports and travel documents in your possession (current and expired).

abirdie

Oct 1, 2012
Hi Guys,
In process since Feb 6, 2018. We received Fingerprint notice, which was sent and received by CIC on March 1st (as per CIC call centre agent)
We have not heard anything since then. Should we be worried?
I even tried to get information online through CIC web form but no answer.
I live in GTA area

mngr7

Jul 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
19-Jan 2015
IELTS Request
sent with appln
File Transfer...
waiting
Med's Request
10-April-2015
Med's Done....
waiting
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
abirdie,
I know someone from Alberta who was
In process, since Feb 22 2018,
Finger print request: March 13th (fingerprint completed on March 19th)
test invite received: Jun 13th
Test date scheduled: Jul 30th.
This doesn't mean you need to panic. You will get it soon.

Hi Guys,
In process since Feb 6, 2018. We received Fingerprint notice, which was sent and received by CIC on March 1st (as per CIC call centre agent)
We have not heard anything since then. Should we be worried?
I even tried to get information online through CIC web form but no answer.
I live in GTA area

aasiff110

Feb 10, 2018
Hello All,
I have a question. After my citizenship test i heard they will make one hole in PR card. Is it true?
Can i still use my PR card and travel to USA?
Thanks

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
Hello All,
I have a question. After my citizenship test i heard they will make one hole in PR card. Is it true?
Can i still use my PR card and travel to USA?
Thanks
not after test...

They cut the card after your citizenship OATH ceremony. After there ceremony - you will be a citizen and not a PR(hence not valid)

horus100

Oct 31, 2017
I have a question regarding the exam:
my kids are 14 and 12, should I take them with me?
should I take picture of everyone like the one I sent in the file?

BTW, I am in NB , id there any one in the group from the same province so we can share exam topics.

Thanks