+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone know how I can get a sample letter for requesting urgent processing ?
I am looking for something that basically says that Canadian citizenship is very important for my job.
Thanks,
I do not know of any sample letters for an urgent processing request.

In addition to link above, also see the current applicable PDI at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/urgent-application-cases.html

Otherwise I am posting to caution that if the reason why Canadian citizenship is important for your job is to facilitate travel abroad, the prospect of getting expedited processing appears to be quite LOW.

This may not apply to you. And even if it does there is NO harm in making the request. Indeed, the criteria listed in the applicable PDI is somewhat more open-ended than it has been in the past.

BUT when most forum participants refer to needing citizenship for a job they are NOT really talking about needing citizenship but rather about needing a passport which will facilitate international travel like the Canadian passport will. NOT the same as needing citizenship for the job (contrary to much wishful thinking otherwise common in the forum); indeed, in many if not most such cases, a U.S. passport would, for purposes of the job requirements, suffice just as well, since again "citizenship" as such is not what is important, but a passport with certain traveling privileges.

It is not for-sure this will not qualify for urgent processing, BUT . . . well, most indications are the odds are NOT good.

Reactions: arian_arian

canadianthrower

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2012
Interview........
12-02-2014
For passport application after Oath, is it 3 business days after the ceremony day or including the ceremony day?

Winnipeg1207

Apr 8, 2018
Hello Guys,

I have a quick question and would be grateful if someone could help me on that.

Many of my friends (from a same country:Iran) have faced a very long delay in their Permanent Residency (PR) applications due to the security/background check. Their background check has even taken more than 20 months, and they are all in real trouble with their PR applications.

This is almost 8 months that I have applied for Canadian Citizenship and my applications is in process since Jan. 2018. I have not received any test invitation so far and have contacted IRCC several times. The agents always say: dont worry you are still within the normal processing time of 12 months!

Do you think that the Canadian Citizenship applicants (like me) also will face that much long security/background check like the one now is going on for the PR applicants? If yes, what is your suggestion to solve this issue? Do I need contact MP or ask a lawyer or ...?

I am very worried if that is the case, as I can not wait 1-2 years to get my passport due to a stupid reason of discrimination!

Regards,

boateng

Mar 18, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May5, 2015 (application received)
AOR Received.
AOR1 : June3 2015
IELTS Request
01 Feb 2013
Med's Done....
April 2015
Interview........
hopefully not
Hello Guys,

Many of my friends (from a same country:Iran) have faced a very long delay in their Permanent Residency (PR) applications due to the security/background check. Their background check has even taken more than 20 months, and they are all in real trouble with their PR applications.

This is almost 8 months that I have applied for Canadian Citizenship and my applications is in process since Jan. 2018. I have not received any test invitation so far and have contacted IRCC several times. The agents always say: dont worry you are still within the normal processing time of 12 months!

Do you think that the Canadian Citizenship applicants (like me) also will face that much long security/background check like the one now is going on for the PR applicants? If yes, what is your suggestion to solve this issue? Do I need contact MP or ask a lawyer or ...?

I am very worried if that is the case, as I can not wait 1-2 years to get my passport due to a stupid reason of discrimination!

Regards,
Hi,

we all have in process from start of december and other people are in process from november, so i would say you are worrying too much :)

I think just hold on tight we all should be getting the invite soon

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello Guys,

Regards,
I have some iranian friends who got their citizenships in ~6 months.
Don't worry about it.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Happy Monday to everyone!

Please, update my record! I got a Test Invitation on June 8th for July 4th.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015

Al-Rose

Feb 27, 2010
Hi
I passed my citizenship test 20/20 on June 20. Kindly update the sheet.
My center was scarborough..now waiting for oath.
Thanks and Regards

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hello Guys,

Regards,
Well, the only suggestion is to get yourself busy with life till they contact you. I applied in October, did my exam 3 weeks ago and didn't get a date for the oath yet. I was hoping to travel in summer on my Canadian passport but it doesn't seem possible. I also look at the sheet and find that there is people who got their citizenship in 5 months, some had the oath on the same day as of the test interview.
c'est la vie.

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
During oath ceremony,will they check our passports and original docs again please?
Thanks

Canaussie7

Jun 16, 2017
So I did my test on the 16th May, decision made was 17th May and now waiting for our ceremony date (in Vancouver). Issue is, we are planning to move out of country next month. I know it is cutting things very fine but my Mum is terminally ill and my brother just finished radiation therapy as well. Do you think it is worth reaching out to CIC to see if there is any way to expedite our ceremony date?

Most of our friends had their ceremony 6 weeks after sitting the exam. I guess I was being optimistic.