+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Do I get refunded if My application gets returned to me due to miscalculation in presence requirement?
If you're application is returned before receiving AOR from Sydney, then your fee will be refunded. However, if returned after AOR, from your local processing center, then only $100 will be refunded, because processing starts after AOR.

Getting back to your question, a miscalculation seems like something that would be caught after processing starts. So I would guess only $100 will be refunded.

Reactions: Viva2014

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
1) Correct. That's what I put
2) I put starting from eligibility period, because as I mentioned in an earlier post it was showing some kind of warning that part of the date is outside the eligibility period when I put the actual start date. And the calc says "Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between <A> and <B>"

where A is the start of your eligibility period, and B is day before you landed as a PR.
2) I meant it again on the application form section 12 ( work experience/ study,...).
Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
thank you, but then in the calculation they see that I travelled. I am afraid they only use one side of their brain and they get easily confused!!
I see if you have gaps out side the country , that question must be the problematic one where you claim extra days as a crown servant. Best plausible answer discussed is No. or YES with an explanation that claiming any time is not applicable

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
If you're application is returned before receiving AOR from Sydney, then your fee will be refunded. However, if returned after AOR, from your local processing center, then only $100 will be refunded, because processing starts after AOR.

Getting back to your question, a miscalculation seems like something that would be caught after processing starts. So I would guess only $100 will be refunded.
I ask because I applied for refugee 2 months before My temporary work permit was expired. so I don't know if My work permit will count till expiry date or till the date I filed my refugee application. that 2 month period is causing a nightmare for me.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
2) I meant it again on the application form section 12 ( work experience/ study,...).
Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
Do you mean section 11 ? 12 is about taxes. I started working 2 months before my eligibility period, so I mentioned the exact month instead of the eligibility start date.

Form asks for "employment and education history during eligibility period" so should be fine either way.

Reactions: Viva2014

searing_heat

Jun 8, 2013
Thank you, the problem is when you go to the form of reside outside Canada, they include vacation/ rest/ business
"
  1. Provide details of your residence outside Canada during the relevant period immediately before the date of your application. Include trips outside of the country (or countries) of residence and if the purpose was for your work (e.g., business trip, official leave/rest and relaxation) or for purposes other than for your work (e.g., vacation).
Agree that it is a bit confusing. However, when I read the guide and the help text for the question, the primary reason for it seemed only to determine if your time outside Canada can be used towards physical presence requirements which didn't apply to me. Anyways, it is too late to change - I selected NO and let's see if they ask for any other information later on. Hope not! :)

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
if I had temporary work permit and then made a refugee claim before my work permit expired, do I lose the time I still had on my work permit?

in other words, does refugee claim application trump any valid status I had that time? I am confused because I am trying to calculate my time accurately for citizenship

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
I see if you have gaps out side the country , that question must be the problematic one where you claim extra days as a crown servant. Best plausible answer discussed is No. or YES with an explanation that claiming any time is not applicable
On a second thought, I found that I should answer NO. Simple and plain as I had address inside Canada and I explained in the calculator why I was outside for a week. Also, the sentence that I quoted earlier is about (whether I made any trips outside of that country (not Canada))
Provide details of your residence outside Canada during the relevant period immediately before the date of your application. Include trips outside of the country (or countries) of residence and if the purpose was for your work (e.g., business trip, official leave/rest and relaxation) or

for purposes other than for your work (e.g., vacation).

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
I think I am good with the application. Will pay tomorrow and finalize the checklist :) I am afraid I'll do mistakes if I don't stop now! GN

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
if I had temporary work permit and then made a refugee claim before my work permit expired, do I lose the time I still had on my work permit?

in other words, does refugee claim application trump any valid status I had that time? I am confused because I am trying to calculate my time accurately for citizenship
I guess my question is too hard. No one knows the answer not even cic help desk was able to give me a straight answer

Andy1476

Oct 4, 2017
Hello, i need to submit PCC as I was out of Canada more than 183 days , my question is do I need to submit PCC along with the application? OR is it ok that I can send my PCC after a month? Because it will take 4 weeks for PCC..pls reply @spyfy

kha1976

Oct 12, 2017
please guys i need help.
According to the physical presence calculator my eligibility period is 12/10/2012-12/10/2017 and i came to Canada and become a PR on 15/08/2013. My question is related to the question # 11 in the form
1-Do i have to mention that i was in my home country from 12/10/2012 to 14/08/2013 ,or start from the date of the PR 15/08/2013..??????

Another question i left canada for 120 days ,do i have to mention yes or no in question
9 c) During the eligibility period did you live outside of Canada. if i checked Yes Do i have to fill the Form (CIT 0177).
Thanks

Last edited: