+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
As I noted, you may doubt that a job opportunity in the U.S. is not a reason for urgent processing, but again that it is NOT a reason is about as close to certain as it gets.

My sense is you fail to recognize what is meant by "need Canadian citizenship" for the employment, perhaps looking at this from your personal perspective (as in what YOU need) rather than when Canadian citizenship is a legitimate qualification for the job.

If an individual can qualify for the job without Canadian citizenship that means Canadian citizenship is not a requirement for the job. So, for example, if a person can qualify for the job if they have U.S. citizenship, that means Canadian citizenship is NOT needed.

It would be a rather unusual circumstance for a U.S. job to not be available to a U.S. citizen who otherwise qualifies for the job.

The fact that you personally could qualify for the job if you have Canadian citizenship, and you cannot otherwise because you do not have other status which would make you qualified, does not make Canadian citizenship a legitimate qualification for the job.

The other aspect of this many seem to not grasp is that a job requirement based on having a Canadian passport, usually related to the job's expected travel requirements, is similarly NOT a job for which Canadian citizenship is needed. Sure, Canadian citizenship will allow the individual to obtain a Canadian passport, and that may meet an employer's requirements, BUT that is NOT ORDINARILY considered a reason for urgent processing.

Moreover, there generally needs to be a legitimate, genuine connection between citizenship and qualifications for the job . . . and this is typically about certain Canadian government jobs or jobs with Canadian government contractors, and mostly (albeit not entirely) due to security related aspects of the employment.

As I have oft said, USUALLY there is no downside to asking for urgent processing. And IRCC can be a lot more accommodating, SOMETIMES (not always, maybe not often, but sometimes), than many anticipate. IRCC has the discretion to expedite any applicant's case. So sure, one can ask, and sure there is a chance to get urgent processing.

BUT proffering a job opportunity in the U.S. probably NOT a good idea:

Proffering a job opportunity in the U.S., however, might be considered a risk indicator triggering elevated scrutiny, resulting in long delays in processing rather than routine let alone expedited processing. Historically it has appeared much of the fraud in citizenship applications is related to obtaining Canadian citizenship as a stepping-stone to work in the U.S. Thus, for a long time, appearing to apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport has been a factor increasing the risk of elevated scrutiny, including RQ (the Liberal government, before the Harper government, for sure introduced a risk indicator related to this at least as far back as 2005 in an OB which was added as an appendix to the Operational Manual governing residency until replaced by PDIs under the Harper government).

Until the current Liberal government repealed it, the Harper government had focused so intently on this that it effectively made applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport a ground for rejecting an application, by imposing an intent-to-reside requirement. The repeal of the intent-to-reside requirement does not mean appearing to apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport no longer increases the risk of elevated scrutiny. The historical association of such applicants with instances of fraud remains what it is, meaning a reason to at least check out such applicants more thoroughly to make sure they are not involved in a fraud. That can mean non-routine processing, meaning delays, sometimes long delays. Not the sort of risk someone who wants urgent processing would be prudent to take.

Bro, thank you for your time and detailed reply. Of course it is helpful. Anyhow, there is no downside asking for urgent processing so I am I will request urgent processing on the basis that my mother is sick and I need to travel. Let c. But before that i am stuck with AOR. Its almost 2 months and there is no update fro IRCC. Not sure where is my application right now. Called to CIC and got the info that IRCC is working on applications of 15th December. Will wait few weeks more then will take action.

Cheers.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
I'm in same boat as you brother.

In a way this response helps & In a way, it doesn't :(

i think waiting for 2 wks will not hurt...

lets see...
I am not sure whats going on? Very frustrating situation. Do not know what to do at this point. Only option is waiting.

aililia

Star Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the process of urgent processing after submitting a request online?

I submitted my request and received an email from an agent that "we have verified the information and forwarded it to the responsible office".

Thanks

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Hello,

To those who got their test invitation, did you also get a letter by mail?

I received an email on Feb 07 regarding my test invitation for March 7, but I have not received anything via mail. In the line 4 of my application status, it is mentioned that:

"The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us."

Thanks,

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello,

To those who got their test invitation, did you also get a letter by mail?

I received an email on Feb 07 regarding my test invitation for March 7, but I have not received anything via mail. In the line 4 of my application status, it is mentioned that:

"The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us."

Thanks,
If you received the invitation by email, you won;t receive another one by regular mail. Just print the pdf and take it with you.

Reactions: arian_arian

zeste

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hello forum friends,

any opinions on which online test practice site is best?

Thank you in advance for responses.

mosaab

Oct 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2013
AOR Received.
26-06-2013
File Transfer...
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-16-2014
LANDED..........
05-02-2014
I've applied for citizenship with my parents ( both are over 55 and don't speak English). We are now at test/interviews stage and will have it on the same date and time. The invite letter included an extra sheet of information for accompanying person or interpreter and it states the accompanying person or the interpreter must not have citizenship application in progress. So can I be the interpreter as I will have the test and interview with them on the same day and time or not? Please share your experiences if you have similar situation.

malisa

May 15, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP=Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2012
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
28-05-2012
AOR Received.
9-06-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-07-2012
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
3-08-2012
Interview........
Open Work permit visa Jan18, 2013 (45 days)
Passport Req..
Ppr, 28 sept 2013. in process...23 aug 2013, decision made 28 sept, 2013.
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2013
LANDED..........
Nov, 2013. PR card..Jan 2014.
Hello forum friends,

any opinions on which online test practice site is best?

Thank you in advance for responses.
Read the book "at least five to six times", then practice test like apnatoronto, youlibrary, , v-soul.
I had test today, got 19/20.
Reading book will help you.

malisa

May 15, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP=Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2012
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
28-05-2012
AOR Received.
9-06-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-07-2012
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
3-08-2012
Interview........
Open Work permit visa Jan18, 2013 (45 days)
Passport Req..
Ppr, 28 sept 2013. in process...23 aug 2013, decision made 28 sept, 2013.
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2013
LANDED..........
Nov, 2013. PR card..Jan 2014.
Admin please update my status:
Test done 19-02-2018

Reactions: thegentleman

AWO 88

Dec 28, 2017
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the process of urgent processing after submitting a request online?

I submitted my request and received an email from an agent that "we have verified the information and forwarded it to the responsible office".

Thanks
That means your request is under consideration and your local office will contact you for Test date.