+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

mohantcd

Nov 19, 2011
Makes no difference if the trip was for business, pleasure, a whim, or family reasons. Days abroad count as absences, whatever the reason or purpose for the trip. This will continue to be the case even after all Bill C-6 provisions take effect.

Best to keep your own record of every exit from Canada and entry into Canada. The PR, having been there each and every time (obviously), is the one best source for this information, but of course only if the PR makes an effort to keep a record of each trip. It is worth the effort. There can be a huge difference in how things go for applicants who accurately and completely report all dates of travel versus those make mistakes or omissions.

Your business trip will also be counted as your physical presence in canada.

Exact wording from CIC website.

"Absences from country of residence outside Canada
For all applications (received before, on, or after June 11, 2015), if the applicant travelled outside the country of residence to accompany their family member as part of their family member’s duties for employment, this time can be counted as residence/physical presence.

If the applicant travelled outside the country of residence (other than to Canada) for any other reason (e.g., vacation), this time is counted as an absence.

Refer the below link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/grant/residence/calculate/spouse.asp ). "

on the above its says employment- is that mean on trip more than 6 months or any 4-10 days business trip can also be considered?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

For all applications (received before, on, or after June 11, 2015), if the applicant travelled outside the country of residence to accompany their family member as part of their family member’s duties for employment, this time can be counted as residence/physical presence.

If the applicant travelled outside the country of residence (other than to Canada) for any other reason (e.g., vacation), this time is counted as an absence.

Refer the below link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/grant/residence/calculate/spouse.asp ). "

on the above its says employment- is that mean on trip more than 6 months or any 4-10 days business trip can also be considered?
It is the family member's employment, not the applicant's employment

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

The link you provided clearly states this exemption applies only to crown servants. A business trip for other jobs will not count toward residence requirements for Citizenship.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
hi everyone,
so eager for the 3/5 to be implemented!
started to prepare my husband application and it is a little bit different than when I applied
does anyone know if the certificate of completion of the French courses (the official ones from Ministere Immigration Quebec) is enough as language requirements or he would need to register for the language test too?
thank you! good luck for all

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
hi everyone,
so eager for the 3/5 to be implemented!
started to prepare my husband application and it is a little bit different than when I applied
does anyone know if the certificate of completion of the French courses (the official ones from Ministere Immigration Quebec) is enough as language requirements or he would need to register for the language test too?
thank you! good luck for all

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp
If you have, send a copy of proof that you completed a program with your citizenship application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be:

• from a completed secondary or post-secondary program in English or French
    • a single course done in English or French doesn’t meet the requirement
OR
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language-step-3.asp

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Thanks for the thread. I landed in Feb. 2015 and i just found out about these changes. Forgive my ignorance but I landed on Feb. 5th 2015 so conceivably, I could apply for citizenship on Feb. 6 2019? At least that's what the CIC website says. My question is, with the new provisions can I apply next year? I haven't been away for than a weekend or two a month since. My visitor's record stays don't count either, correct? I'd like to apply as soon as I can.

jalo

Jul 14, 2017
hi guys how do we know when 3/5 and time before PR come to affect??? because i came here 10 years ago waiting for affect bill c6 especially time before PR

kilamans

Feb 14, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga jan '16
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Credit card charged jan '16
AOR Received.
AOR - Feb '16
File Transfer...
Ottawa Aug '16
Med's Request
Oct '16 & for PCC
Med's Done....
Nov '16 & for PCC
Hi All
Can we enrich this forum with information in different areas as we use to post during bill C6. We can classify information based on:
Physical presence
English language requirements
Police clearances
More over timelines can be shared. Please comment.
Thanks
why do we require police clearance?
physical presence - we need to wait until the calculator is updated

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Hello Guys ,

when CIC website will update the forms and Physical presence calculator ? Any Idea

Thanks

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hello guys,

I usually visit back home every year, so if i combine the duration of all the trips in the last 5 years then it becomes more than 6 months. But in all of my trips i have never lived there for 6 months consecutively. So i was wondering if i need to submit police certificate in that case or not. If i add durations of different trips then it becomes 6 months otherwise each trip was just 1 month or less than that. Please guide.

Soundgood

Apr 20, 2016
Hello guys,

I usually visit back home every year, so if i combine the duration of all the trips in the last 5 years then it becomes more than 6 months. But in all of my trips i have never lived there for 6 months consecutively. So i was wondering if i need to submit police certificate in that case or not. If i add durations of different trips then it becomes 6 months otherwise each trip was just 1 month or less than that. Please guide.
Read this carefully
You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

ovais

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2011
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2011
AOR Received.
PER 16-11-2011
Med's Request
12-12-12
Med's Done....
20-12-12
Passport Req..
PPR1 03-04-13 DM 22-04-13 PPR2 02-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-13
LANDED..........
November 1, 2013
Hello everyone!

I have planned a trip to my home country in December. My stay in Canada after PR will be 4 years in November 2017. So intend to apply for citizenship before my trip.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any prohibition that one cannot leave Canada if the citizenship application is in process.
2. How much time does it take to get to the next level after application. I intend to be out of country for a month and do not want to miss any communication from CIC in my absence.

Thanks.

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Hello everyone!

I have planned a trip to my home country in December. My stay in Canada after PR will be 4 years in November 2017. So intend to apply for citizenship before my trip.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any prohibition that one cannot leave Canada if the citizenship application is in process.
2. How much time does it take to get to the next level after application. I intend to be out of country for a month and do not want to miss any communication from CIC in my absence.

Thanks.
About question 1:
Please see (previous Bill C-6):
Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/06/bill_c-6_receivesroyalassent0.html
Previous Citizenship Act
- The requirement for applicants to maintain the requirements for citizenship from the time they apply for citizenship until taking the Oath of Citizenship only applied to applications received on or after June 11, 2015.

Citizenship Act with Bill C-6 Amendments
- This requirement now also applies to all applications, including those received before June 11, 2015.

About question 2:
Depend of the new process time (no ETA available right now).