+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

dsiddiqui

Oct 20, 2017
Situation: I have applied for my citizenship on October 20 and now I am going to my home country for a month. Also on my way to my home country I am going to UAE.

Question 1 : UAE visa is issued in Arabic . So do I need translation for this visa ???
Question 2
: Since my wife has stayed for 163 days in home country and with this stay she will be out of Canada for more than 183 days. Does she require a Police certificate???

Appreciate your expert answer based on your experience with multiple citizenship candidates.

ultra_violet

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Thanks for the info, it was helpful. I was trying to call 1-888-242-2100 several times, but after listening to the options, it tells "we are sorry, all the lines are busy".. so the call doesn't go through. do you know what is the best time to call?, and are there different phone numbers I could try?
You have to call as soon as they open to get through

Reactions: gigig

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Situation: I have applied for my citizenship on October 20 and now I am going to my home country for a month. Also on my way to my home country I am going to UAE.

Question 1 : UAE visa is issued in Arabic . So do I need translation for this visa ???
Question 2
: Since my wife has stayed for 163 days in home country and with this stay she will be out of Canada for more than 183 days. Does she require a Police certificate???

Appreciate your expert answer based on your experience with multiple citizenship candidates.
If you have applied on 20 October, your eligibility period would have been 20 October 2012 - 20 October 2017. Therefore whatever happens after that period, in terms of presence in Canada or not, does not concern your application.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
From my understanding, the 'eligibility period' is 5 years from date of application, while you only need days equivalent of 3 years in Canada to be allowed to apply. For people who complete those 3 years in breaks (example- 365 days in 2012 and the rest of the time in 2016 & 2017) they should still be able to apply for citizenship. So even if you were not in Canada in 2012, you must include it in your application- I believe you might even have to get PCC done coz of that year from the country you were in before Canada.

And you only have to fill the Residence outside Canada form if you meet the requirements they mentioned in their guidelines, otherwise you do not need to do the form. You still must provide your residential and employment during that time.

CanadianSoonToB,
Bro thank you for your valuable reply. Your reply is kind of relief and at the same time a pain too. lolz. Pain because of police clearance. That will be a very tough task for me to provide that letter from back home. In my opinion,I could be wrong but Police Clearance is only required if you landed Canada and after PR you left Canada again for any reason and spend some time outside of Canada like 183 days etc then you came back to Canada. So the period you spent outside of Canada after PR need to have PCC. Because the time period you spent outside of Canada before PR, will be verified during PR process.The reason IRCC asked for PCC because after PR, immigration does not have any clue that might be you were outside of Canada and did some crime over there.

oceanidmiao

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for the info, it was helpful. I was trying to call 1-888-242-2100 several times, but after listening to the options, it tells "we are sorry, all the lines are busy".. so the call doesn't go through. do you know what is the best time to call?, and are there different phone numbers I could try?
I just called them. keep calling, keep calling until it's not hung up and when you hear the music, you are in line waiting. I waited for 38 minutes before I was able to speak to an agent.

Reactions: gigig

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015

Question 2

This vacation is not going to contribute to your eligibility days as it is after your application submitting bracket .
No need to worry

Good Luck

musicengg

Nov 14, 2017
Could you add me to the list

Single Candidate
App sent: 13th October
App received: 16th October
City: Edmonton
Phisical Presence: +1100 days
AOR: 20 November

CanadianSoonToBe

Mar 8, 2017
Mississauga
CanadianSoonToB,
Bro thank you for your valuable reply. Your reply is kind of relief and at the same time a pain too. lolz. Pain because of police clearance. That will be a very tough task for me to provide that letter from back home. In my opinion,I could be wrong but Police Clearance is only required if you landed Canada and after PR you left Canada again for any reason and spend some time outside of Canada like 183 days etc then you came back to Canada. So the period you spent outside of Canada after PR need to have PCC. Because the time period you spent outside of Canada before PR, will be verified during PR process.The reason IRCC asked for PCC because after PR, immigration does not have any clue that might be you were outside of Canada and did some crime over there.
They don't really specify that anywhere- they just say that if you've been out of Canada for 183 days etc 'during the eligibility period', then you must get police clearance for the country you were in. It doesn't specify (unfortunately) that it's not applicable if you were not a PR at that point. I would highly recommend you to get the PCC done, or your application could be returned. I do not know which country you are from, but my PCC just took a week (a day if I had applied as urgent). You just have to go to your country's consulate in Canada.

You could call a CIC agent too if you want to confirm btw..

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
CanadianSoonToB,
Yes you are wrong , the requirement for PCC is quite clear on the IRCC webpage

Free-Spirit

Mar 2, 2017
Please update my line 335 "Free-Spirit"

Single Candidate
App sent: 11th October
App received: 16th October
City: Calgary
Physical Presence: 1354 days
AOR: 20 November

Reactions: qjzhou

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
They don't really specify that anywhere- they just say that if you've been out of Canada for 183 days etc 'during the eligibility period', then you must get police clearance for the country you were in. It doesn't specify (unfortunately) that it's not applicable if you were not a PR at that point. I would highly recommend you to get the PCC done, or your application could be returned. I do not know which country you are from, but my PCC just took a week (a day if I had applied as urgent). You just have to go to your country's consulate in Canada.

You could call a CIC agent too if you want to confirm btw..
I will apply for that and hopefully I will get in 3 weeks. Want to share one thing here that one of my friend came to Canada as refugee and he has FIR(First Investigation Report) back home due to his political opinion and of course FIR was not for any wrong doing while a political victimization and he applied for citizenship because he was not able to get PCC but he got his citizenship. He completed his 4 years already not 5. I do not think that PCC is necessary before the PR. It is only applicable after PR. This is completely my opinion.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Yes you are wrong , the requirement for PCC is quite clear on the IRCC webpage
I am not 100% wrong. Please read below. Q.10 part c. It does not say 5 years window. It is clearly saying within 4 years so means IRCC does not say 5 years eligibility period.

"
Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

abbas1349

Apr 7, 2017
HI , i have question regarding filling item 10 (Addresses) of citizenship form .
i landed and became permanent Resident in 14,Dec,2014 and stayed in Canada 3 years in row , so i am eligible on 14,Dec,2017 .
but Residency Calculator tell me my eligibility period starts from 14,Dec,2012.
should i give my address outside Canada during 14,Dec,2012 to 14,Dec,2014?
i was not permanent resident at that period
thanks