+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application with criminal record

E.Mohammad

Oct 9, 2018
Can any PR apply for Canadian Citizenship with 1 Criminal Record (Assault) in Canada?

Is there anyone having any experience of it? Thanks

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Can any PR apply for Canadian Citizenship with 1 Criminal Record (Assault) in Canada?

For a non- regular case, best not to rely on non-professional advice. IRCC guidelines on eligibility are clearly specified, so your best option would be to seek legal counsel.

Alieme4

Jul 20, 2015

Hi what happend to your application .can you please share one of my friend in same situation .Thank you

mpkr

Aug 7, 2019
Dear expert members,

To provide a brief overview of my situation, my sister became Permanent Resident in 2017. However, due to marital issues, she encountered legal complications during a visit to UK to meet her husband in July 2019, resulting in a criminal harassment conviction and a restraining order in UK also a fine. Then she returned to Canada in end july 2019 and she is working full time . Field her taxes and also running small business from past 4.5 years. In addition tot that she also did not leave Canada till today. Even though as per UK law it is summary but As per the Canadian criminal code of equivalency it is Hybrid offence but IRCC would consider it as indictable offence for immigration.

I have several inquiries regarding her immigration.

1. Can she apply for PR renewal which expired in October2022 from inside Canada with the UK conviction?

2. If PR renewal is not feasible, should she pursue a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)?

3. What is the timeline for eligibility to apply for Canadian citizenship?

4. Do she need to seek criminal rehabilitation before applying for PR renewal or citizenship?

any insights about this matter would be greatly appreciated .

thank you in advance!