+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application with active peace bond

Donald Trump

Aug 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can a peace bond be denied? I have a case where his wife have put several charges of assault, mischief, assault with a weapon, intimidation and wrongful confinement. His citizenship application is in process. He has clean criminal history. Assault charges are historic, exaggerated and false because wife continued to live with him for 3 next year and she is now pressing charges. Will he get a peace bond? His lawyer says that until his first court date disclosure is not available and hence nothing can be said.
Thank you.

Reactions: yxyyukon

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I applied for citizenship before any charges were laid about 1 year ago. They asked for finger prints and i submitted them and the application was not processed due to pandemic. My case is resolved now through a peacebond for an year and i have now received another request for fingerprints as it has passed 12 months since my last submission. No active charges are reflecting however i am wondering when fingerprints report will be submitted they police occurrences will appear. I am not sure what will be displaced in finger print report and what would be asked from me going forward?
Do you think i should voluntarily disclose the resolution details to cic using a web form ?
Should i submit a record check/ Court information to CIC?

Please suggest
I've been told that an active peace bond wouldn't affect your citizenship application. I have outstanding charges(my ex lied) and am considering to sign a peace bond or go on a trial. I've been asked for FP and the Crown said that IRCC could contact the courthouse if they need verification. I haven't provided anything to IRCC yet and they said they will contact me if further information is needed.

Donald Trump

Aug 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do upfront counseling increase chances of getting a peace bond? Please suggest some counseling centers in Ontario and specific program name if you have one. Thanks.

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
Do upfront counseling increase chances of getting a peace bond? Please suggest some counseling centers in Ontario and specific program name if you have one. Thanks.
In some cases yes depending on other factors as well like the city you were arrested, for e.g if you were arrested in Brampton and belong to ethnic minority the crown would not let you go easily and would try best to make you convict or at least make the process very difficult. Exact thing happened to me, my first lawyer told to get an upfront counselling from a private counsellor in order to make my chances bright for a peace bond but unfortunately it didn't help and my time and money got wasted. I then changed the lawyer who got convinced the crown for a peace bond but I had to do the PARs counselling again this time from a government facility (less expensive). Now I am done with the counselling and waiting for the peace bond to be issued. My lawyer is saying the crown will go back to get the consent from my ex and issuance of the peace bond will depend on the consent she provides. My time for becoming a citizen has also been completed and now I am in stress what to do next should I file the application without telling them or do I need to close that I am charged as per "https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html" a person cannot become citizen if charged.

Any suggestions ?

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
Hey, i had my case withdrawn on request of the crown, have started the process of destroying my fingerprints and mug shot. Regional police has confirmed deletion, waiting on RCMP now.

I applied for citizenship before this fracas. The case was dismissed before my test date. Got a finger print request but strangely i got a letter from the third party fingerprint agency saying 'no criminal record report'. Does it mean they did not get a hit?

ECAS is in process, waiting on oath.
Hi, after the expiry of the peace bond the FPs and mug shot not deleted by itself ? what is the procedure to get them deleted from the system ?

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
Yes, I was arrested and they took fingerprints and photos. I sent my application while I was under active peacebond. The peacebond has expired just last month. My fingerprints are not destroyed yet. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be okay.
Hi after the expiration of the peace bond how do you get your photo and FPs destroyed ?

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, after the expiry of the peace bond the FPs and mug shot not deleted by itself ? what is the procedure to get them deleted from the system ?
I have been advised that you can request to have the fingerprints and photos destroyed after you agree to sign a peace bond. You don't have to wait till it expires.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In some cases yes depending on other factors as well like the city you were arrested, for e.g if you were arrested in Brampton and belong to ethnic minority the crown would not let you go easily and would try best to make you convict or at least make the process very difficult. Exact thing happened to me, my first lawyer told to get an upfront counselling from a private counsellor in order to make my chances bright for a peace bond but unfortunately it didn't help and my time and money got wasted. I then changed the lawyer who got convinced the crown for a peace bond but I had to do the PARs counselling again this time from a government facility (less expensive). Now I am done with the counselling and waiting for the peace bond to be issued. My lawyer is saying the crown will go back to get the consent from my ex and issuance of the peace bond will depend on the consent she provides. My time for becoming a citizen has also been completed and now I am in stress what to do next should I file the application without telling them or do I need to close that I am charged as per "https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html" a person cannot become citizen if charged.

Any suggestions ?
You shouldn't lie in your application as you can't misrepresent it. Have you been charged with indictable offence? I do not believe it's indictable based on what you said.

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
I have been advised that you can request to have the fingerprints and photos destroyed after you agree to sign a peace bond. You don't have to wait till it expires.
Told by an authority? Because as per "https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/managing-criminal-records" the
Compelling reasons to deny a request for destroying non-conviction information includes
  • Less than one year has passed since you were given a Peace Bond

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
You shouldn't lie in your application as you can't misrepresent it. Have you been charged with indictable offence? I do not believe it's indictable based on what you said.
As per section 16 of the citizenship application which asks that are you now charged with an offense under the citizenship act or indictable offense in Canada. Now as per the definition of indictable offense domestic violence is not included which means you don't have to tell them if you were charged for domestic violence ?

FlyHigh!

Apr 21, 2021
Hi SAS123,
They asked me to submit a finger print as well , a few weeks later they asked me to send a court record. The whole process took 6 months from me. I sent my application in June 2017 and my ceremony was in Dec. 2017. In general your application might be delayed 1-2 months.
Hi, did you check yes to section 16 3 (a) where it says are you now charged with an offense under the citizenship act or an indictable offense in Canada ?. I am filling up the application and I dont see any other section where you can tell them about the peace bond as its not an indictable offense so why did they ask you to submit FPs

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per section 16 of the citizenship application which asks that are you now charged with an offense under the citizenship act or indictable offense in Canada. Now as per the definition of indictable offense domestic violence is not included which means you don't have to tell them if you were charged for domestic violence ?
I think the question is very straightforward. If your offence isn't indictable, then it's no.

Told by an authority? Because as per "https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/managing-criminal-records" the
Compelling reasons to deny a request for destroying non-conviction information includes
  • Less than one year has passed since you were given a Peace Bond
I have been told by an attorney. It says "The RCMP's Records Suspension & Purge Services may deny an application to destroy a non-conviction record"

It may deny doesn't mean it will deny.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@FlyHigh! and @wstrn24

Whether there is a peace bond is NOT the relevant question. What matters is the precise underlying charge and its disposition. There are different kinds of peace bonds issued under differing circumstances, subject to differing conditions. This gets complicated.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DISCLOSED TO IRRC and WHEN; WHAT is an INDICTABLE OFFENCE:

I think the question is very straightforward. If your offence isn't indictable, then it's no.
That is partially correct. If the offence is not indictable, being charged with or convicted of that offence does NOT constitute a prohibition. No need to disclose it to IRCC.

But it is far, far from straightforward because what constitutes an indictable offence, or to address the practical side of this, what is NOT an indictable offence IN CANADA, is complicated and in many cases (probably most by a lot) it DEPENDS on the specifics of the charge in the particular individual case.

Remember, MOST criminal offences in Canada's Criminal Code are technically indictable offences, with provisions allowing the prosecution the option of instead charging a Summary Offence, which is not an indictable offence . . . such offences, which includes many that could be considered "domestic violence" related offences, are called "hybrid" offences. They are considered to be indictable UNLESS and UNTIL they are officially designated a Summary Offence in the particular case.

Leading to . . .

Now as per the definition of indictable offense domestic violence is not included which means you don't have to tell them if you were charged for domestic violence ?
Not sure where you get this from. It is, at the least, misleading, and essentially NOT true. Note, foremost, "domestic violence" is NOT designated a criminal offence in Canada. Rather, in Canada, there are numerous criminal offences which may be charged against an individual for various acts (crimes) that can be described as "domestic violence." Simple assault is the most common, but there are many others. The range of criminal offences which can be related to or arise out of domestic or family violence is discussed in depth at a Department of Justice website here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/fv-vf/laws-lois.html

Simple assault is perhaps the most common and least serious criminal offence typically charged for what many refer to as "domestic violence." Make no mistake, simple assault, which is defined in Section 265 of the Criminal Code, is one of the hybrid offences, as prescribed in Section 266 Criminal Code. (see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-57.html#docCont )

Another good source of information about "Domestic Assault" charges in Canada is information provided by a law firm here: https://criminallawoshawa.com/domestic-assault-charges-in-canada/

Thus, a person charged with assault, or convicted, is subject to a prohibition AND MUST disclose this to IRCC . . . either in the application or, if it occurs after applying while the application is pending, by notifying IRCC of it.

That said, if the formal charging documents in the case specifically charge the offence under Section 266(b) in the Criminal Code, or there is a conviction specifying the charge is for Section 266(b), which in either case should refer to the charge being for a "Summary Offence," ONLY THEN would the assault charge NOT be an indictable offence.

So, to be clear: EVEN the LEAST SERIOUS OFFENCE for ASSAULT IS TECHNICALLY AN INDICTABLE OFFENCE . . . UNLESS and UNTIL the formal charge is specified to be a "Summary Offence."

It warrants noting, in contrast, if the charge is withdrawn or dismissed, it is NO offence at all.

SUMMARY: If a person is charged with a criminal offence related to domestic violence, and --
-- that charge is withdrawn or dismissed, it does NOT constitute an indictable offence and does NOT need to be disclosed to IRCC, or​
-- if the charge is OFFICIALLY designated a Summary Offence in the charging documents, or if there is a disposition in the case which officially designates the charge is a Summary Offence, it is likewise NOT an indictable offence and does NOT need to be disclosed to IRCC, BUT​
-- OTHERWISE it is most likely an indictable offence which needs to be disclosed to IRCC AND which will likely constitute a prohibition making the individual ineligible for a grant of citizenship​

The Role and Effect of the Peace Bond:

As I have previously commented, here in this topic (see page 1) and elsewhere, not all Peace Bonds are created equal. They vary considerably. The status of the case in which a Peace Bond is issued can vary considerably. So just the fact that there is a Peace Bond does not illuminate whether the situation should be disclosed to IRCC or dictate what impact it will have on eligibility for citizenship. IT VARIES. IT DEPENDS.

I am NO expert in regards to citizenship or immigration. I am especially NO expert in regards to criminal procedure or law in Canada. No where near in even the parking lot outside the ballpark. So I would not dare to try explaining all the possible dispositions in which a Peace Bond can be issued, let alone the big range of terms and conditions that can be a part of the Peace Bond in a particular case.

But no particular expertise is necessary to recognize that the details involved in issuing a Peace Bond matter. This means the details in the specific case itself. If for sure the criminal charges are dismissed, withdrawn, or for sure designated a Summary Offence, they do not need to be disclosed to IRCC, and they do not constitute a prohibition. But in the actual case, the terms specifying these things can vary. For example, the charges may not be formally dismissed or withdrawn UNTIL the terms of the Peace Bond are complete, which could mean that until then there is still a pending charge for an indictable offence, which must be reported, which constitutes a prohibition.

Leading to . . .

SOME FURTHER OBSERVATIONS:

Best to err on the side of disclosing information EVEN IF it would have been OK to not disclose it. IRCC figures things out. If what the applicant discloses does not constitute a prohibition, having disclosed it will NOT hurt. Failing to disclose information the applicant should report to IRCC, in contrast, can have negative consequences ranging from serious to severe.

While the fact records have been sealed or destroyed probably means they are not something that needs to be disclosed to IRCC, and for sure do not need to be disclosed in many other contexts (like applications for a job, bank loan, apartment leasing, or such), remember that in something like a citizenship application it is imperative to disclose information truthfully. Again, there is NO HARM disclosing something to IRCC . . . if it is something that did not need to be disclosed, it will NOT hurt the application. YOU CAN TRUST IRCC to properly adjudicate whether a particular criminal case constitutes a prohibition.

IN CONTRAST, and finally, it is not so easy to trust criminal defense lawyers, prosecutors, or even the courts, to fully and accurately explain how the disposition in the criminal case can affect a citizenship application. They know the criminal law. They focus on the criminal process and its direct effect on an individual, and they have an incentive to resolve the case which can invite overlooking collateral problems. For those involved in the criminal justice system, for example, a disposition that will eventually result in the criminal charges being totally withdrawn is such a positive outcome, they can overlook the potential impact of the charges continuing to be, technically, pending the satisfaction of terms which can take a year . . . that is, for example, if the charges will not be formally withdrawn or dismissed for a year, they are looking at how positive that outcome is overall, in a year, and might not even be aware, let alone advise the defendant, that in the meantime the charge might be considered pending and a prohibition for purposes of a citizenship application. IF IN DOUBT, consult with a lawyer who is experienced in immigration and citizenship law.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@FlyHigh! and @wstrn24

Whether there is a peace bond is NOT the relevant question. What matters is the precise underlying charge and its disposition. There are different kinds of peace bonds issued under differing circumstances, subject to differing conditions. This gets complicated.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DISCLOSED TO IRRC and WHEN; WHAT is an INDICTABLE OFFENCE:

That is partially correct. If the offence is not indictable, being charged with or convicted of that offence does NOT constitute a prohibition. No need to disclose it to IRCC.

But it is far, far from straightforward because what constitutes an indictable offence, or to address the practical side of this, what is NOT an indictable offence IN CANADA, is complicated and in many cases (probably most by a lot) it DEPENDS on the specifics of the charge in the particular individual case.

Remember, MOST criminal offences in Canada's Criminal Code are technically indictable offences, with provisions allowing the prosecution the option of instead charging a Summary Offence, which is not an indictable offence . . . such offences, which includes many that could be considered "domestic violence" related offences, are called "hybrid" offences. They are considered to be indictable UNLESS and UNTIL they are officially designated a Summary Offence in the particular case.

Leading to . . .

Not sure where you get this from. It is, at the least, misleading, and essentially NOT true. Note, foremost, "domestic violence" is NOT designated a criminal offence in Canada. Rather, in Canada, there are numerous criminal offences which may be charged against an individual for various acts (crimes) that can be described as "domestic violence." Simple assault is the most common, but there are many others. The range of criminal offences which can be related to or arise out of domestic or family violence is discussed in depth at a Department of Justice website here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/fv-vf/laws-lois.html

Simple assault is perhaps the most common and least serious criminal offence typically charged for what many refer to as "domestic violence." Make no mistake, simple assault, which is defined in Section 265 of the Criminal Code, is one of the hybrid offences, as prescribed in Section 266 Criminal Code. (see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-57.html#docCont )

Another good source of information about "Domestic Assault" charges in Canada is information provided by a law firm here: https://criminallawoshawa.com/domestic-assault-charges-in-canada/

Thus, a person charged with assault, or convicted, is subject to a prohibition AND MUST disclose this to IRCC . . . either in the application or, if it occurs after applying while the application is pending, by notifying IRCC of it.

That said, if the formal charging documents in the case specifically charge the offence under Section 266(b) in the Criminal Code, or there is a conviction specifying the charge is for Section 266(b), which in either case should refer to the charge being for a "Summary Offence," ONLY THEN would the assault charge NOT be an indictable offence.

So, to be clear: EVEN the LEAST SERIOUS OFFENCE for ASSAULT IS TECHNICALLY AN INDICTABLE OFFENCE . . . UNLESS and UNTIL the formal charge is specified to be a "Summary Offence."

It warrants noting, in contrast, if the charge is withdrawn or dismissed, it is NO offence at all.

SUMMARY: If a person is charged with a criminal offence related to domestic violence, and --
-- that charge is withdrawn or dismissed, it does NOT constitute an indictable offence and does NOT need to be disclosed to IRCC, or​
-- if the charge is OFFICIALLY designated a Summary Offence in the charging documents, or if there is a disposition in the case which officially designates the charge is a Summary Offence, it is likewise NOT an indictable offence and does NOT need to be disclosed to IRCC, BUT​
-- OTHERWISE it is most likely an indictable offence which needs to be disclosed to IRCC AND which will likely constitute a prohibition making the individual ineligible for a grant of citizenship​

The Role and Effect of the Peace Bond:

As I have previously commented, here in this topic (see page 1) and elsewhere, not all Peace Bonds are created equal. They vary considerably. The status of the case in which a Peace Bond is issued can vary considerably. So just the fact that there is a Peace Bond does not illuminate whether the situation should be disclosed to IRCC or dictate what impact it will have on eligibility for citizenship. IT VARIES. IT DEPENDS.

I am NO expert in regards to citizenship or immigration. I am especially NO expert in regards to criminal procedure or law in Canada. No where near in even the parking lot outside the ballpark. So I would not dare to try explaining all the possible dispositions in which a Peace Bond can be issued, let alone the big range of terms and conditions that can be a part of the Peace Bond in a particular case.

But no particular expertise is necessary to recognize that the details involved in issuing a Peace Bond matter. This means the details in the specific case itself. If for sure the criminal charges are dismissed, withdrawn, or for sure designated a Summary Offence, they do not need to be disclosed to IRCC, and they do not constitute a prohibition. But in the actual case, the terms specifying these things can vary. For example, the charges may not be formally dismissed or withdrawn UNTIL the terms of the Peace Bond are complete, which could mean that until then there is still a pending charge for an indictable offence, which must be reported, which constitutes a prohibition.

Leading to . . .

SOME FURTHER OBSERVATIONS:

Best to err on the side of disclosing information EVEN IF it would have been OK to not disclose it. IRCC figures things out. If what the applicant discloses does not constitute a prohibition, having disclosed it will NOT hurt. Failing to disclose information the applicant should report to IRCC, in contrast, can have negative consequences ranging from serious to severe.

While the fact records have been sealed or destroyed probably means they are not something that needs to be disclosed to IRCC, and for sure do not need to be disclosed in many other contexts (like applications for a job, bank loan, apartment leasing, or such), remember that in something like a citizenship application it is imperative to disclose information truthfully. Again, there is NO HARM disclosing something to IRCC . . . if it is something that did not need to be disclosed, it will NOT hurt the application. YOU CAN TRUST IRCC to properly adjudicate whether a particular criminal case constitutes a prohibition.

IN CONTRAST, and finally, it is not so easy to trust criminal defense lawyers, prosecutors, or even the courts, to fully and accurately explain how the disposition in the criminal case can affect a citizenship application. They know the criminal law. They focus on the criminal process and its direct effect on an individual, and they have an incentive to resolve the case which can invite overlooking collateral problems. For those involved in the criminal justice system, for example, a disposition that will eventually result in the criminal charges being totally withdrawn is such a positive outcome, they can overlook the potential impact of the charges continuing to be, technically, pending the satisfaction of terms which can take a year . . . that is, for example, if the charges will not be formally withdrawn or dismissed for a year, they are looking at how positive that outcome is overall, in a year, and might not even be aware, let alone advise the defendant, that in the meantime the charge might be considered pending and a prohibition for purposes of a citizenship application. IF IN DOUBT, consult with a lawyer who is experienced in immigration and citizenship law.
The RCMP records check would list the disposition of the charges. Also, the adult charge screening form would tell you whether the crown elect the charges to be prosecuted summarily or by indictment. Since a peace bond has been issued, I don’t believe the said charge was prosecuted by indictment.