+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application with active peace bond

NizYou

Star Member
May 11, 2016
I want to submit my citizenship application after few weeks and I have a peace bond in effect till next year. I'm not convicted and no charges on me.

I know that i could still apply for the citizenship but should I mention this peace bond on the citizenship application? Should I attach the peace bond document within the application to avoid any delays?

#SAS123

May 4, 2018
Hi
I want to submit my citizenship application after few weeks and I have a peace bond in effect till next year. I'm not convicted and no charges on me.

I know that i could still apply for the citizenship but should I mention this peace bond on the citizenship application? Should I attach the peace bond document within the application to avoid any delays?
Hi

I have a similar situation. But i already applied for citizenship and received Finger print request letter. Did you apply already? Any update on your case?

NizYou

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Hi

Hi

I have a similar situation. But i already applied for citizenship and received Finger print request letter. Did you apply already? Any update on your case?
Hi SAS123,
They asked me to submit a finger print as well , a few weeks later they asked me to send a court record. The whole process took 6 months from me. I sent my application in June 2017 and my ceremony was in Dec. 2017. In general your application might be delayed 1-2 months.

Reactions: wstrn24

#SAS123

May 4, 2018
Hi SAS123,
They asked me to submit a finger print as well , a few weeks later they asked me to send a court record. The whole process took 6 months from me. I sent my application in June 2017 and my ceremony was in Dec. 2017. In general your application might be delayed 1-2 months.
Thanks for the quick response. Were you arrested and had finger & photo records? They had me done it when i appeared in court :(

But my peacebond expired last march 2018. But i haven’t gone to get it destroyed.

So do you think it is ok to go ahead with finger printing despite this issue in the past?

NizYou

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Yes, I was arrested and they took fingerprints and photos. I sent my application while I was under active peacebond. The peacebond has expired just last month. My fingerprints are not destroyed yet. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be okay.

#SAS123

May 4, 2018
Yes, I was arrested and they took fingerprints and photos. I sent my application while I was under active peacebond. The peacebond has expired just last month. My fingerprints are not destroyed yet. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be okay.
Thank you. You're very nice.. Appreciate your positive responses. I can sleep now after being so anxious about the letter.. :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Caution: Not All Peace Bonds Are the Same.

Peace Bonds are issued in different circumstances and often are subject to different conditions. What ultimately matters is whether there was an "arrest," whether there is a criminal case pending, or a criminal case disposition relevant to the prohibitions.

Another key question is whether the applicant truthfully responded in item 16 (application version 10-2017), which is about circumstances which might constitute a prohibition. Some of the situations in which a peace bond is issued DO require disclosure in item 16 EVEN IF it does not constitute a prohibition. (If the situation resulting in the peace bond occurred after the application was submitted, an applicant is required to give IRCC notice of the situation if it falls into any of the described situations in item 16.)

There is NO ONE ANSWER regarding a "peace bond" applicable to all applicants with a peace bond. In particular, the impact (or lack of impact) of a peace bond for one applicant does not reveal what the impact of the peace bond for another applicant will be. It depends.

Overall:

Many times a Peace Bond has NO impact on citizenship application (even if it triggers a Finger Print request) BUT there are some circumstances in which a Peace Bond is related to a proceeding which at least requires the applicant to disclose it to IRCC at the time of the application or while the application is in process, and some which arise from a situation which does constitute a prohibition.

angelbegazzo

May 9, 2018
Hey, i had my case withdrawn on request of the crown, have started the process of destroying my fingerprints and mug shot. Regional police has confirmed deletion, waiting on RCMP now.

I applied for citizenship before this fracas. The case was dismissed before my test date. Got a finger print request but strangely i got a letter from the third party fingerprint agency saying 'no criminal record report'. Does it mean they did not get a hit?

ECAS is in process, waiting on oath.

Kellscho

Sep 17, 2018
HELLO, I’ve been reading all night about different circumstances and found this forum. I am currently doing an EIP program to deal with my dom assualt issue sooner than later. I am wrongly accused, my lawyer advised me to go to trial, however i am a permanent resident and it is expiring very soon. My lawyer told me once i have done the program I would be issued a peace bond as i have no prior charges or convictions. My permanent residency expires in December. If i took this to trial i would not go to court until January deeming me unfit to work in canada which i cannot do. I own a house and have been here for over 10 years. I came to the conclusion that it would be beneficial to do an eip program for a garaunteed peace bond or dismissal to relieve my stress and be able to renew my residency without a problem. Am i able to cross the border ? Am i able to apply for citizenship? I currently have NO conditions apart from a no contact, which is 100 percent fine for me as i am going to file a restraining order on the so called “victim”. I was told i was not pleading guilty when i accepted the offer to do an eip program, however I’ve been doing some research and it doesn’t look good? Can someone please give me some advice/educate me on this situation.

Houssem2pac

Oct 3, 2018
Hi SAS123,
Hi there did you hire a lawyer

Jagdeep121

Oct 12, 2017
Hi . I need help. I have pending charges and awaiting trial. But crown has offered peace bond for one year to drop my charges My work visa has expired . So will they deport me right away or wait till the peace bond of one year is over . Thanks

Rosesofdracul

Dec 15, 2018
Halifax
Would it be better if I sent the fingerprints and court record with the citizenship application altogether ,or should I wait until they send me a request letter?

sharmag27

Jul 5, 2014
Hi I applied for citizenship before any charges were laid about 1 year ago. They asked for finger prints and i submitted them and the application was not processed due to pandemic. My case is resolved now through a peacebond for an year and i have now received another request for fingerprints as it has passed 12 months since my last submission. No active charges are reflecting however i am wondering when fingerprints report will be submitted they police occurrences will appear. I am not sure what will be displaced in finger print report and what would be asked from me going forward?
Do you think i should voluntarily disclose the resolution details to cic using a web form ?
Should i submit a record check/ Court information to CIC?

Please suggest