+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application questions

cmfugen

Apr 18, 2006
Hello

Shortly i am going to finish my three years and going to apply for citizenship. I have few doubts about some columns in the application.

I am applying for my step son along with me, so whether am i the parent or guardian, and at other place it was asked that what type of parent i am whether it is adoptive or natural and i dont belong to both of these so what should i put there.
I put myself as father in the immigration application and where ever they asked for the natural fathers name i mentioned his natural fathers name and he is still carrying his original name

Even in his passport he carries his natural fathers name not mine

and at the residency column they asked for the addresses of last four years but i am in canada since last 3 years so do i have to mention my back home address for that fourth year.

These things look small and simple but really confusing me and i dont want to commit any mistake.

Please suggest some help

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On CIC website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#age it says: "the person applying is the child’s parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian" so you are not your step sons biological parent, you did not adopt him? so are you his legal guardian? If none of these apply, you may not be able to apply for him. Can his mother apply for him?

As for the addresses, put all your addresses, foreign or Canadian as they were for the last 4 years. You know if you left Canada for vacation at any time during the 3 years, you have to subtract that from the 3 year stay and it will delay the date you are eligible to apply.

cmfugen

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply, When i married my wife by that time she already has the legal custody of him and when i applied for immigration i put him as a family memeber and even in the landing paper it was mentioned me as father so am i the legal guardian of him at present and his mother is short of few months so she cant apply for him right now. In canada every where my name is at the fathers place, still i am confused a bit
thanks and regards
Leon said:
On CIC website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#age it says: "the person applying is the child's parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian" so you are not your step sons biological parent, you did not adopt him? so are you his legal guardian? If none of these apply, you may not be able to apply for him. Can his mother apply for him?

As for the addresses, put all your addresses, foreign or Canadian as they were for the last 4 years. You know if you left Canada for vacation at any time during the 3 years, you have to subtract that from the 3 year stay and it will delay the date you are eligible to apply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just because you write on some documents that you are his father does not make you his father in a legal sense. You can call CIC and ask about it or just let his mother apply for him when she applies.

mgonzalez

Jun 9, 2009
Hey I have a question
If what do i have to do to sponsour my spouce to canada if hes a US citizen AND iM a Canadian citizen..AND I live in the states adn I want to move back with him??

Thanks
michelle