+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application Question 13, 14, & 15

Vinreal

Sep 12, 2019
Hi All,

I need some clarification with my Canadian Citizenship application; specifically, surrounding questions 13, 14, and 15.

Q. 13 - Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada, including your country of birth.
  • Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Provide the month and year (MM/YY) that you obtained each status.
  • If your status is no longer valid, provide the month and year (MM/YY) your status ended. If you still hold this status, indicate “current”.
The answer is yes; however, I'm not sure what to put down for when I obtained this country's citizenship. Let me explain. I was born outside of this country but automatically became a citizen of this country through my father. Several years later, my father, on my behalf, applied for a passport for me which ended up being included within his. Long story short, it expired, and I haven't had a passport of this country ever since. I do not know the date my old passport was obtained and I do not know when it expired. Do I just put down my year and month of birth for this citizenship and "current" because it's still current?

Also, on a completely separate note, I happen to have had a Student Visa for studying in another country for a few months. Reading the instructions alongside other peoples' posts led me to believe that this is something I need to include in Q. 13 as well. Is that correct?

Q. 14 - Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your five (5) year eligibility period.

1. Check either yes or no.
    • If you check yes, complete the chart labeled Table A in question 14 by including:
      1. the document number
      2. the name of the country that issued the document (issuing authority)
      3. the place (city or town) the document was issued
      4. the date the document was issued
      5. the expiry date of the document
    • If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period, tell us why in the box provided labeled Table B.
If you've read my bolded answer for Question 13, you'll know that I used to have a passport under and within my father's passport, which was many, many years ago and has since expired and wasn't during my five (5) year eligibility period. As far as I understand, I do not have to include it here (I don't even have access to it anymore). Thus, is this what I write about in Table B? Also, do I include my Student Visa here?

Q. 15 - All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French).

Will a scanned photocopy of my Canadian University Degree work?

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Hi All,

I need some clarification with my Canadian Citizenship application; specifically, surrounding questions 13, 14, and 15.

Q. 13 - Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada, including your country of birth.
  • Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Provide the month and year (MM/YY) that you obtained each status.
  • If your status is no longer valid, provide the month and year (MM/YY) your status ended. If you still hold this status, indicate “current”.
The answer is yes; however, I'm not sure what to put down for when I obtained this country's citizenship. Let me explain. I was born outside of this country but automatically became a citizen of this country through my father. Several years later, my father, on my behalf, applied for a passport for me which ended up being included within his. Long story short, it expired, and I haven't had a passport of this country ever since. I do not know the date my old passport was obtained and I do not know when it expired. Do I just put down my year and month of birth for this citizenship and "current" because it's still current?

Also, on a completely separate note, I happen to have had a Student Visa for studying in another country for a few months. Reading the instructions alongside other peoples' posts led me to believe that this is something I need to include in Q. 13 as well. Is that correct?

Q. 14 - Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your five (5) year eligibility period.

1. Check either yes or no.
    • If you check yes, complete the chart labeled Table A in question 14 by including:
      1. the document number
      2. the name of the country that issued the document (issuing authority)
      3. the place (city or town) the document was issued
      4. the date the document was issued
      5. the expiry date of the document
    • If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period, tell us why in the box provided labeled Table B.
If you've read my bolded answer for Question 13, you'll know that I used to have a passport under and within my father's passport, which was many, many years ago and has since expired and wasn't during my five (5) year eligibility period. As far as I understand, I do not have to include it here (I don't even have access to it anymore). Thus, is this what I write about in Table B? Also, do I include my Student Visa here?

Q. 15 - All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French).

Will a scanned photocopy of my Canadian University Degree work?
To my understanding,
Q. 13...your status of Citizenship, is by birth. So your DOB will be the start date. It will be current, as though your passport is expired (travel document is expired), you still enjoy citizenship status by birth. You can add the date you landed in this country to make it clear as additional information for the Officer. If you have never traveled, you can provide that as additional information. On the separate note, yes, student visa status in any country, as I understood is expected to be put in.

Q. 14. Yes, As I understood, Travel documents/passports for last 5 years are asked here. Student visa is not required to my understanding in this section.

Q. 15. Marksheets and Degree Ceriificate copies should work. As in the instruction guide, "A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad."

Cheers!