+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship application only for minor

igmeder

Mar 8, 2015
Hello all. I got my Canadian citizenship last year. Afterwards, I sponsored my 5 years old daughter and now she lives with me in Canada with her PR. When can she apply for citizenship as a very young child? Does she have to wait 4 years as a PR or can she apply for the citizenship right away? I just want to double-check because I'm confused with what it says at CIC's web site below quoted:

"Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18"

All the best and thank you in advance.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
igmeder said:
Hello all. I got my Canadian citizenship last year. Afterwards, I sponsored my 5 years old daughter and now she lives with me in Canada with her PR. When can she apply for citizenship as a very young child? Does she have to wait 4 years as a PR or can she apply for the citizenship right away? I just want to double-check because I'm confused with what it says at CIC's web site below quoted:

"Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18"

All the best and thank you in advance.
Children are exempted from the 4/6 residency qualification period. So you can submit a citizenship application for your child now.