+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application Minor - Physical presence less than 1 year

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hello:
I believe they generally say that if Adults are eligible to apply for Citizenship, they can include minors application although they might not meet the 1095 days physical presence calculation. I would like to include my kids Citizenship application along with mine and I am wondering if I can or cannot.

From below link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html
Step 1 – Make sure the minor is eligible
To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must:
be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed;
be a permanent resident of Canada;
have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor (applying together as a family).

My kid landed with us as a permanent resident back in Nov 2019 but travelled internationally in Jan 2020 and was stuck outside Canada during COVID lockdowns and has been living with us in permanent resident status since Nov 2021.

Considering that that the minor kid is with us in permanent residence status in Canada for less than a year, do you think we can include the minor application or not?

Thanks.

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
According to the application guide, there are no physical presence requirements for minor children as long as they have a Canadian parent or a parent that is applying for citizenship with the kids has completed the physical presence requirement . You can apply for your children along with your application. This is going to be a paper application though.

BlueJays2017

Jan 11, 2017
My husband and kids got their citizenship when only my husband was eligible in terms of presence calculator. Rest assured, minors are not required to go through presence calculator if their application is included along with their eligible parents.

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Good to know. Thank you for prompt responses.
Just since the guideline suggests that they should be permanent residents we were wondering if the minors should be residents for at least 2 years.

Dec 17, 2023
My husband and kids got their citizenship when only my husband was eligible in terms of presence calculator. Rest assured, minors are not required to go through presence calculator if their application is included along with their eligible parents.
How did you apply the application? Paper or Online
Did you fill physical presence calculator of Minor. I am trying online but the system did not accept below 3 yrs. Can you suggest to me
how to do?