+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application from India

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hello,

I have a general question regarding applying for Canadian Citizenship from outside Canada. I am currently a permanent resident (since 2012) residing currently in Canada. Also preparing for my Citizenship application and papers. Due to cybersecurity concerns and reasons, I am having inhibitions in applying online (as I strongly fear the integrity of the uploaded documents and the online application question submission could be compromised by the hacker covertly). Hence I am planning to apply on paper.

However, I am thinking of going back to my home country. And was wondering if its possible to complete my application in India and get it mailed to Canada? If yes, then do I have to fill my Indian address (as my current residential address) because I would be residing at my home address in India?

Just wanting to know if there could be any issues or the processing will be usual as like applying from here in Canada.

Thanks.

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello,

I have a general question regarding applying for Canadian Citizenship from outside Canada. I am currently a permanent resident (since 2012) residing currently in Canada. Also preparing for my Citizenship application and papers. Due to cybersecurity concerns and reasons, I am having inhibitions in applying online (as I strongly fear the integrity of the uploaded documents and the online application question submission could be compromised by the hacker covertly). Hence I am planning to apply on paper.

However, I am thinking of going back to my home country. And was wondering if its possible to complete my application in India and get it mailed to Canada? If yes, then do I have to fill my Indian address (as my current residential address) because I would be residing at my home address in India?

Just wanting to know if there could be any issues or the processing will be usual as like applying from here in Canada.

Thanks.
You can mail your application before you travel and use a friend’s address for any paper mail that IRCC might send. IRCC would use email communications if you fill in the email details in your paper application.
Everything else might be done while you are outside except for the Oath Ceremony where you have to return to take the oath.
Keep in mind that IRCC would request a proof of return prior to scheduling the oath.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

Thanks.
Seriously, cybersecurity?
You cannot apply from outside the country
1. You have to mention the city you are signing the application from
2. You had. To provide physical presence calculations in which you have to declarer the periods you were away from Canada and when did you get back

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
You can mail your application before you travel and use a friend’s address for any paper mail that IRCC might send. IRCC would use email communications if you fill in the email details in your paper application.
Everything else might be done while you are outside except for the Oath Ceremony where you have to return to take the oath.
Keep in mind that IRCC would request a proof of return prior to scheduling the oath.
So you're worried about hackers but you're willing to send all your documents and applications in the mail where anyone who likes can easily open and do as they please? Lmao .
Let me put it simply anyone who wants your information already has it or has a way to get it. You cannot apply from outside Canada. Apply before you leave.

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for your reply. What I am reluctant in is using the current Canadian residential address (which is my temporary rental address) in the "Home Address" section in the citizenship application. I have noticed from previous experiences that IRCC usually send mails to this address even when the applicant has explicitly mentioned mailing address in the application. As i wont be here at this address/city/province in near future. I fear any important immigration mail sent at this address might be lost. I can sure give them my email, but still, down the line 4-5 years or so if IRCC sends any mail, it might come to this address?

On the contrary, if i apply from India, I can give them my home address as that is permanent and secure. And I can send them all the documents through mail (from a private courier) or post office registered post from India? Are there any issues with that?

Can return airplane ticket from India to Canada act as a proof of return prior to scheduling the oath?

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
So you're worried about hackers but you're willing to send all your documents and applications in the mail where anyone who likes can easily open and do as they please? Lmao .
Let me put it simply anyone who wants your information already has it or has a way to get it. You cannot apply from outside Canada. Apply before you leave.
Hello, it seems you already had experience with your submission of citizenship application online. In that case I just have one important question - " After you finish completing your application submission online, there is an option to "Download a copy of your application". Now when you click on that, does it shows all the filled application questions along with the copy of the submitted (uploaded) supporting documents?

If yes, then till how long this copy is available to view online?

Thanks.

Last edited:

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Hello, it seems you already had experience with your submission of citizenship application online. In that case I just have one important question - " After you finish completing your application submission online, there is an option to "Download a copy of your application". Now when you click on that, does it shows all the filled application questions along with the copy of the submitted (uploaded) supporting documents?

If yes, then till how long this copy is available to view online?

Thanks.
It shows everything filled and for me, it's still available to view online. It shows what files you submitted and the file names too.

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
It shows everything filled and for me, it's still available to view online. It shows what files you submitted and the file names too.
Ok thanks. Was wondering if one can create online account first and then submit the application whenever ready?

Thanks.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Ok thanks. Was wondering if one can create online account first and then submit the application whenever ready?

Thanks.
Word of advice to you, please follow the suggestions given to you by the experienced users here. If you try to apply from your country online you will face serious issues. You may wait years for ircc to give you a negative answer and possibly face misrepresentation if you put the signature location as in Canada when you are overseas.

Apply in Canada before you leave and maybe use a trusted friend who perhaps owns their house for your address. All my communications with ircc during my application process was through email. When you come back for the oath, they'll ask you for an address to send the certificate if it's a virtual ceremony. Just my advice

Reactions: JensonP

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Word of advice to you, please follow the suggestions given to you by the experienced users here. If you try to apply from your country online you will face serious issues. You may wait years for ircc to give you a negative answer and possibly face misrepresentation if you put the signature location as in Canada when you are overseas.

Apply in Canada before you leave and maybe use a trusted friend who perhaps owns their house for your address. All my communications with ircc during my application process was through email. When you come back for the oath, they'll ask you for an address to send the certificate if it's a virtual ceremony. Just my advice
By "address" in your above reply you meant residential or mailing address?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello,

Thanks.
For all practical purposes, one cannot apply for citizenship while being outside Canada without misrepresentation. Your last absence from Canada has not ended while you are outside Canada as well as the place your are signing your application at is outside Canada.
For cybersecurity, you are perhaps one of the thousands of online applicants and it is unlikely that only your information will be compromised. While serious lapses have happened in this area all over the world, I am certain IRCC's systems are reasonably robust & take this into account.
Since you have been in Canada since 2012, perhaps if you had applied sooner, you probably would have been a citizen by now. Plenty of anecdotal evidence that those who apply and leave Canada are facing longer processing times.