+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application for children

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, no need to apologize. I'm just thinking that I'd like to apply for my kids' citizenship as soon as possible and the two passports are the easiest to produce immediately. I think I'll gamble when the time comes and submit two copies of each passport to fulfill both requirements.
Honestly because of this experience I'd suggest adding some additional piece of ID - and note that for minors they are pretty open about what constitutes 'ID', I dont' recall exactly, but something like vaccine record or school records were accepted. If you have time to track something down go with extra. Just that when I did this we were still in quarantine (or just out) and I didn't have much else and would have had to go for more translations. (Not to mention that I just didn't think it could possibly be an issue)...

Anyway I'd have saved time if I'd just waited for the PR card but didn't know that at the time.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Honestly because of this experience I'd suggest adding some additional piece of ID - and note that for minors they are pretty open about what constitutes 'ID', I dont' recall exactly, but something like vaccine record or school records were accepted. If you have time to track something down go with extra. Just that when I did this we were still in quarantine (or just out) and I didn't have much else and would have had to go for more translations. (Not to mention that I just didn't think it could possibly be an issue)...

Anyway I'd have saved time if I'd just waited for the PR card but didn't know that at the time.
Thanks, yeah the main thing for me is trying to avoid additional translations and certifications which bore me to no end. I just don't really understand what the problem would be with providing the two passports. I might just wait for the PR cards.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, yeah the main thing for me is trying to avoid additional translations and certifications which bore me to no end. I just don't really understand what the problem would be with providing the two passports. I might just wait for the PR cards.
Take a look at what they accept, it's really not that onerous, I'd have been able to get something from the school in another week or two for example. And getting it sent back is really annoying.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Received an email from IRCC requesting we send the original of the PR card (and that it will be returned to 'immigration officials' when citizenship is granted).

Oddly no update in the online system about progress (still shows things that don't apply to minors are not done) but I can only assume that basically this means decision is made and the system's not there yet.

Cross fingers, but if so, not bad in terms of processing time.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
That's great. I wonder why they've asked for the original, do they take it when when grant citizenship?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's great. I wonder why they've asked for the original, do they take it when when grant citizenship?
Yes, or at least my understanding is that it must be destroyed when the citizenship is completed; at oath ceremonies they actually cut them up?

Not 100% certain but at any rate they either destroy it or take it back. In this case done by mail.

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Yes, or at least my understanding is that it must be destroyed when the citizenship is completed; at oath ceremonies they actually cut them up?

Not 100% certain but at any rate they either destroy it or take it back. In this case done by mail.
Oh, excellent sign then! Good luck!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Received an email from IRCC requesting we send the original of the PR card (and that it will be returned to 'immigration officials' when citizenship is granted).

Oddly no update in the online system about progress (still shows things that don't apply to minors are not done)
In due course the system updated to say action required, check your mail (or something like that) and part of the progress parts marked as completed (prohibitions). Still showing ones that don't apply but whatever.

Reactions: expatgoingback

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
How much time is this citizenship process going to take for children ? For me, as an adult, it was 18 months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How much time is this citizenship process going to take for children ? For me, as an adult, it was 18 months.
Clearly less than for the adult apps (no tests etc) but can't say yet. I'm hazarding a guess of about six months (based on very little info) but we shall see.

Reactions: uvsrsk

Rm2017

Jun 20, 2017
Want to report that our kids' citizenship applications from time of submission to receipt of citizenship certificate took 5 months! We just got them today!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The online check-status app for citizenship finally updated to say complete and child is now a citizen, etc. So now just waiting for the mail.

Note that it went straight from 'we are waiting on you' (to send the PR card) with no acknowledgement that it was received.

By my count this is a bit less than 5 1/2 months, but not counting how long the mail takes. I probably won't update further here as file complete unless there's any surprises, good luck to all.