+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application for children

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
So: any child who becomes a PR and then becomes a citizen is a citizen by naturalization. Regardless of whether the process is 5(2) ie. because the parent is a citizen (citizen-parent who is citizen by descent).

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I wanted to know if the citizenship fo the child (now PR, applying on basis that parent is citizen) was in any way 'tainted' by the parent being citizen by descent. (It does not have the restriction that citizenship by descent has, in other words)

(Which may sound odd to some, but believe me I was very angry when I discovered my citizenship had been 'tainted' by Harper's change in law.)
If your child became a PR, and then you applied for citizenship on their behalf, they are a citizen by naturalization. Their citizenship is not 'tainted' like yours, rather, they are more of a 'true' citizen than you are and they will be able to pass on their citizenship (unless the laws change).

Rant all you want, I hear it from my husband who was born abroad but moved back to Canada before he could run. And he could not pass on his citizenship to his children when they were born outside Canada.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your child became a PR, and then you applied for citizenship on their behalf, they are a citizen by naturalization. Their citizenship is not 'tainted' like yours, rather, they are more of a 'true' citizen than you are and they will be able to pass on their citizenship (unless the laws change).

Rant all you want, I hear it from my husband who was born abroad but moved back to Canada before he could run. And he could not pass on his citizenship to his children when they were born outside Canada.
Damn, you certainly have my ticket! Yep, I'm both livid about the Harper change, and astounded at how this all works (my family returned after a couple years abroad when I was an infant and I didn't spend time abroad until I was out of university).

Thanks for letting me rant.

So: my kid who as a minor and sum total has spent less than a year in Canada is naturalized and can pass on, even if they were to leave Canada tomorrow. (Ok, our plans are permanent, just saying). And if they had a kid abroad, they could just come back and do what I did. Granted, it would take some effort, but it's both more annoying and in practice less strict than the US approach (which bases it on living a certain number of years over the age of 16 or something like that). With a bit of determination it could be maintained forever with only a couple years in Canada here and there.

Waytago Harper.

[/rantover]

Reactions: expatgoingback

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
Application Sent - April 4
AOR - May 1
Request mail for PR Cards received. Sent Cards by Canada Post - June 21

E-A-M-E-A-M-E-A-M

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I have submitted the citizenship app for the minor child, yes, based on my understanding that no requirement to meet the 1095 days, just needs to be physically resident. Have not yet received aor or other correspondence.

I wanted to opt for the not required oath ceremony but decided that might mean delays.

The other children are no longer minors so will have to go the regular process.

So apart from applying by submitting the paperwork, nothing to report.

Thanks - I am not a citizen yet ( i have a PR ) .. their mom will be applying at the same time! would that work?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks - is it faster ?
If you think about it, if the kid is getting citizenship at same time as the parent, I don't think it should be any faster than it takes for the parent to get citizenship.

But I don't know - it's a different thing than the case type that this thread is about.

ksha3yaa

Dec 29, 2021
Applied for my kids citizenship on May 10 ,2023 based on my citizenship.
Online status says In progress still.
Any idea how long the process takes ?
My home country passport is expiring so I was planning to give up that passport along with my kids but looks like kids citizenship application takes almost same time as adults ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Applied for my kids citizenship on May 10 ,2023 based on my citizenship.
Online status says In progress still.
Any idea how long the process takes ?
My home country passport is expiring so I was planning to give up that passport along with my kids but looks like kids citizenship application takes almost same time as adults ?
As far as I can tell it takes 4-8 months if no issues, so certainly seems normal so far.

Reactions: ksha3yaa