+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application: Concerns over rejection

winterson

Dec 27, 2023
I am reposting this thread as I didn't word my question properly. I am looking for advices on the following issue;
Me and my family are permanent residents living in Canada since june 2020 (PR obtained via Express Entry Federal skilled worker program with province of destination: Ontario).

We are considering applying for citizenship, but we are concerned about facing issues with the IRCC due to the fact that we had to live in Quebec for nearly 3 years before finally moving to Ottawa Ontario 6 months ago to settle permanently (we bought a house).

Our intention has always been to live in Ontario, but I received a job offer from a company in Montreal a week before first landing. As we landed, we quarantined in Toronto, Ontario for 15 days before moving to Montreal so I can start working there and take advantage of this opportunity during the peak of COVID Lockdown, high unemployment, and economic recession.

I considered living in Cornwall Ontario near Quebec border, but I was advised that PR were allowed to live anywhere in Canada. So, we stayed with the intention of moving to Ontario at the first opportunity.

Our move to Ontario was delayed due to different circumstances:

1. After landing, my 3-year-old son experienced psychological/behavioural issues after immigration which are officially documented by a licensed psychologist, and which prompted us to seek stability for him and to not to make another move until he improves.

2. After a year and half, I finally joined another company which is present in all Canada (including Ontario) which allowed me to move to Ontario, but the transfer took time to be completed.

3. When my company accepted my transfer to Ottawa, I had to wait for my children to finish school before moving to Ottawa

So, in summary, we lived 3 years in Quebec and 6 months so far in Ontario. Our PR cards expire in Nov 2025

We are really worried about this issue and would like to have some advices on how to proceed to secure our citizenship application. Should we include an LOE with our application? should we hire a lawyer?

Thank you,

Winterson

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am reposting this thread as I didn't word my question properly. I am looking for advices on the following issue;
Me and my family are permanent residents living in Canada since june 2020 (PR obtained via Express Entry Federal skilled worker program with province of destination: Ontario).

We are considering applying for citizenship, but we are concerned about facing issues with the IRCC due to the fact that we had to live in Quebec for nearly 3 years before finally moving to Ottawa Ontario 6 months ago to settle permanently (we bought a house).

Our intention has always been to live in Ontario, but I received a job offer from a company in Montreal a week before first landing. As we landed, we quarantined in Toronto, Ontario for 15 days before moving to Montreal so I can start working there and take advantage of this opportunity during the peak of COVID Lockdown, high unemployment, and economic recession.

I considered living in Cornwall Ontario near Quebec border, but I was advised that PR were allowed to live anywhere in Canada. So, we stayed with the intention of moving to Ontario at the first opportunity.

1. After landing, my 3-year-old son experienced psychological/behavioural issues after immigration which are officially documented by a licensed psychologist, and which prompted us to seek stability for him and to not to make another move until he improves.

2. After a year and half, I finally joined another company which is present in all Canada (including Ontario) which allowed me to move to Ontario, but the transfer took time to be completed.

3. When my company accepted my transfer to Ottawa, I had to wait for my children to finish school before moving to Ottawa

So, in summary, we lived 3 years in Quebec and 6 months so far in Ontario. Our PR cards expire in Nov 2025

We are really worried about this issue and would like to have some advices on how to proceed to secure our citizenship application. Should we include an LOE with our application? should we hire a lawyer?

Thank you,

Winterson
Was your PR, PNP based which expected you to be in a specific province for 2 years?

Reactions: winterson

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
No. It's not PNP based. I only indicated my city of destination during application (Toronto) so I can do my first landing there.
Then you don't have any obligation to be in a specific province. So Quebec or Ontario does not matter. It's just 1095 days of physical presence in any province.

winterson

Dec 27, 2023
Then you don't have any obligation to be in a specific province. So Quebec or Ontario does not matter. It's just 1095 days of physical presence in any province.
Thank you for your fast reply. I understand. One thing though, Is the fact of moving to Quebec 15 days after landing raise any issue? I had to move there because I got a job offer.

Raavsan

Feb 7, 2019
Thank you for your fast reply. I understand. One thing though, Is the fact of moving to Quebec 15 days after landing raise any issue? I had to move there because I got a job offer.
Please do not overthink. There seem to be no issues at all. You are free to move anywhere in Canada at any given time. Unless, you attained it through PNP nomination. Remember it is permanent residency of Canada not Ontario or Quebec. Good luck with your Citizenship.

Jaywalker

May 8, 2018

Thank you,

Winterson
Unless it’s a PNP you can live anywhere.

Jaywalker

May 8, 2018
Also we have lived 2 years in Montreal in last 5 years. I was also express entry like you. My application is pending LPP. My wife is all green including LPP and just oath pending. So that’s the proof that it doesn’t matter.

Supz777

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Why are you trying to generate confusion where there is non. You said you came to Canada under Express Entry Federal skilled worker program, if what you claim is entirely true and you have no business with the Provincial Nomination Program, then you should just go online and apply for the Canada Citizenship. There is no law or IRCC act that can stop you from becoming Citizen if you apply. (Nobody give a f--k about where you live or have been living in Canada if you came into Canada with Express Entry Federal Skilled
The things you should be concerned about are do you meet the physical presence in Canada to be citizen? 2. Have you been filing your taxes since you came to Canada? 3. Have you committed any crime in Canada that makes the police to arrest you or done any other thing that made you had contact with the police/Canada Border Services Agency or other law enforcement agency in a negative way? If your answers to all my questions are GOOD just go and apply and stop worrying about a thing that is not a crime.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Thank you,

Winterson
As a PR, you should study and know our laws a bit more in detail. As many said before, the Charter of Rights and Freedom guarantees you to live wherever you want in Canada. Just apply for citizenship and move on with your life. There is no problem, even if you want to see one.