+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application and DWI charges after December 2018

CanVisa101

May 11, 2021
Hi,

I got recently charged with dui and crown has elected to proceed summarily. But my citizenship application is still in progess and I have already submitted my court information sheet to IRCC. My background check has changed from complete to in-progress in april 2021. My dui case is still in court.

I know that I am not prohibited under citizenship act. My major concern is related to inadmissibility under IRPA if I got conviced of DUI charges after my court final hearing.

I am looking if someone who was in similar situation (who got Dwi/dui coviction after december 2018 and successfully got their citizenship) can share their experience.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

I got recently charged with dui and crown has elected to proceed summarily. But my citizenship application is still in progess and I have already submitted my court information sheet to IRCC. My background check has changed from complete to in-progress in april 2021. My dui case is still in court.

I know that I am not prohibited under citizenship act. My major concern is related to inadmissibility under IRPA if I got conviced of DUI charges after my court final hearing.

I am looking if someone who was in similar situation (who got Dwi/dui coviction after december 2018 and successfully got their citizenship) can share their experience.
This is something that you should be discussing with a lawyer but looks like there are some 'general' opinions on this forum. Please DO NOT take this as legal advice.

Read the contents of this thread.

In short, since this case is being charged as a summary offence (and not as an indictable offense), you might be in the green as far as citizenship application is concerned. Once again, any opinion on this forum is NOT legal advise. Take this general opinion but always consult with a lawyer for legal matters.

CanVisa101

May 11, 2021
Thanks rajkamalmohanram, for the inputs and sharing the thread. I already consulted couple of imigration lawyers but they were not sure - Still searching for lawyer who have dealt with cases like this.

I read the shared thread, my understanding is that IRPA rule did make Permanent Resident inadmissible if convicted of impaired driving (no matter if crown proceed it as summary or indictment). But what I am not sure is:

- How often CBSA officer write inadmissibility report in such cases?
- If the case is still in court, can a person get citizenship, or IRCC wait for the final court verdict?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks rajkamalmohanram, for the inputs and sharing the thread. I already consulted couple of imigration lawyers but they were not sure - Still searching for lawyer who have dealt with cases like this.

I read the shared thread, my understanding is that IRPA rule did make Permanent Resident inadmissible if convicted of impaired driving (no matter if crown proceed it as summary or indictment). But what I am not sure is:

- If the case is still in court, can a person get citizenship, or IRCC wait for the final court verdict?
I'm honestly not sure and anything I say would be a guess. I think you should find an experienced immigration lawyer who has experience in these matters.

Good luck!

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Hi,

Which part of the IRPA do you have in mind? The only relevant part I can see says "two or more" (not just one) for conviction under summary offences.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Overall, I absolutely concur in deferring to Licensed Lawyers for questions about criminal law and criminal procedure.

I can offer some observations nonetheless:

It is not clear to me that when a charge for a hybrid offence is still pending a defendant can be certain they are "not prohibited under citizenship act."

The offence itself should NOT constitute a prohibition, but that is based on assuming that there is a formal election by the Crown, an election that is sufficiently in the record to trigger the rule that once the Crown has elected to proceed summarily the offence is deemed to NOT be an indictable offence. This rule is oft cited, and is affirmed by Canada's Supreme Court in R. v. Dudley, 2009 SCC 58 [2009] https://canlii.ca/t/272k3 . But since this is a hybrid offence, the rest of the Supreme Court's ruling in Dudly should not be overlooked, which allows the Crown to re-elect (in effect change its mind) and proceed by way of indictment (it is a little more complicated than that, well, actually quite a lot more complicated, but bottom-line, well, it ain't over until its over). Also see edit-added note re inadmissibility.

The other reason for uncertainty is the possibility of a period of probation (discussed at length and in-depth in the other topic). In the other topic the anecdotal reporting suggested that, upon conviction, the courts may typically impose the driving prohibition BUT NOT probation otherwise. Makes a big difference. Being on probation, that is "under a probation order," is a prohibition under the Citizenship Act. Section 22(1)(a)(i) Citizenship Act https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#docCont

Moreover, the odds suggest a significant risk IRCC will take a longer, closer look, and that this will delay processing for some time . . . perhaps until after there is a final disposition of the criminal charge. And even if the conviction is for a summary offence, if probation is imposed, again that is one of the prohibitions and IRCC could proceed to deny the application on that basis (it might delay making a formal decision long enough probation ends, ending the prohibition, which means it is possible to get citizenship EVEN IF probation is imposed . . . but if so, NOT until after probation has ended).

If the worst case in the criminal proceedings is being formally prosecuted as a summary offence (obviously a discharge without conviction would be a better outcome), and there is no period of probation or imprisonment imposed, then yes, this offence itself will not constitute a prohibition under the Citizenship Act.

Bringing this to . . .
"I know that I am not prohibited under citizenship act. My major concern is related to inadmissibility under IRPA if I got conviced of DUI charges after my court final hearing."​

There is no special rule for impaired driving offences that I am aware of. Criminal inadmissibility for a Permanent Resident does NOT depend on whether the offence is an indictable offence or a summary offence. The term of imprisonment determines whether the offence constitutes "serious criminality" and makes a PR inadmissible.

This is Subsection 36(1) IRPA https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont which defines when a PR is inadmissible on grounds of serious criminality. Note that the grounds in this subsection also apply to Foreign Nationals (FNs) . . . remember, PRs are Canadians, NOT FNs.

Subsection 36(2), in contrast, applies to FNs but NOT PRs, and it is subsection 36(2)(a) which prescribes a FN is inadmissible based on convictions for two [summary] offences. This has NO application to PRs.

There are basically two thresholds which trigger serious criminality for a PR.
-- conviction for (or technically just the commission of the acts outside Canada) an offence that is punishable by at least 10 years imprisonment under Canadian law, or​
-- conviction for an offence that results in the imposition of a term of imprisonment for more than six months in Canada​

Thus, for example, if a PR (for whatever reason) is actually sentenced to a term of imprisonment for more than six months, then EVEN IF the offence was prosecuted as a summary offence, that constitutes serious criminality and makes the PR inadmissible.

Note, for example, that the maximum sentence for a simple driving while impaired offence (Section 320.1(1) Criminal Code https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-70.html#docCont is the main offence for run-of-the-mill "impaired" operation offences) prosecuted as a summary offence (under Section 320.19(1)(b) in the Criminal Code) is two years less a day. So, technically it is possible a PR might be sentenced to more than six months imprisonment for a impaired driving offence prosecuted as a summary offence. THIS is NOT LIKELY absent some serious aggravating circumstances.

Some confusion regarding the six month threshold for serious criminality might come from a period of time in which the government was interpreting Section 36(1)(a) IRPA https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont to apply in situations where a sentence of imprisonment is imposed and then suspended on conditions. I believe this is common. The court in effect holds the longer sentence over the defendant's head pending the defendant's cooperation in meeting conditions of sentencing, including probation. I do not have a citation handy but the court definitively rejected that interpretation, and ruled that 36(1)((a) means sentencing for an ACTUAL period of imprisonment more than six months. But for a time, the government (I think this was a Harper government thing) was pursuing inadmissibility proceedings against PRs for relatively minor offences where even no jail time was actually imposed but the court imposed a suspended sentence of more than six months. Which probably applied to many if not most of those convicted of hybrid offences prosecuted as summary offences, such as impaired driving offences.

Edit to add note regarding IRCC and CBSA approach to hybrid offences for purposes of inadmissibility:

Based on subsection 36(3)(a) IRPA (same link as above), for purposes of inadmissibility IRCC and CBSA consider hybrid offences to be indictable offences "even if it has been prosecuted summarily." Not relevant here since, again, the criminal inadmissibility of a PR is based on the term of imprisonment, either the maximum for the offence (ten years is the threshold for serious criminality) or the actual period of imprisonment (more than six months). This does not conflict with the rule affirmed by Dudley, but is a specific instance in which the rule in Dudley does not apply because a particular statutory provision specifies otherwise. There is no comparable statutory provision in the Citizenship Act, so as several cases affirm, the rule affirmed by Dudley does apply for purposes of what is an indictable offence and a prohibition under the Citizenship Act.

Last edited:

CanVisa101

May 11, 2021
Which part of the IRPA do you have in mind? The only relevant part I can see says "two or more" (not just one) for conviction under summary offences.
Thanks for the reply; My assumption is that:
Impaired driving is a hybrid offence with indictable version having maximum term of improsonment of 10 years and if the crown elect to proceed summarily:
- it is considered as a summary offence for citizenship act
- As per IRPA 36 1(a) and 36 3(a), it will be considered as an indictable offence.

So even if the person is convicted by summary version of the offence and there is no imprisonment, he/she could be made inadmissible after conviction.

IRPA 36 1(a) and 36 3(a):

Serious criminality
  • 36 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of serious criminality for
    • (a) having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years, or of an offence under an Act of Parliament for which a term of imprisonment of more than six months has been imposed;
  • Marginal note:Application
    (3) The following provisions govern subsections (1) and (2):
    • (a) an offence that may be prosecuted either summarily or by way of indictment is deemed to be an indictable offence, even if it has been prosecuted summarily;

CanVisa101

May 11, 2021
Overall, I absolutely concur in deferring to Licensed Lawyers for questions about criminal law and criminal procedure.

I can offer some observations nonetheless:

It is not clear to me that when a charge for a hybrid offence is still pending a defendant can be certain they are "not prohibited under citizenship act."

The offence itself should NOT constitute a prohibition, but that is based on assuming that there is a formal election by the Crown, an election that is sufficiently in the record to trigger the rule that once the Crown has elected to proceed summarily the offence is deemed to NOT be an indictable offence. This rule is oft cited, and is affirmed by Canada's Supreme Court in R. v. Dudley, 2009 SCC 58 [2009] https://canlii.ca/t/272k3 . But since this is a hybrid offence, the rest of the Supreme Court's ruling in Dudly should not be overlooked, which allows the Crown to re-elect (in effect change its mind) and proceed by way of indictment (it is a little more complicated than that, well, actually quite a lot more complicated, but bottom-line, well, it ain't over until its over). Also see edit-added note re inadmissibility.

The other reason for uncertainty is the possibility of a period of probation (discussed at length and in-depth in the other topic). In the other topic the anecdotal reporting suggested that, upon conviction, the courts may typically impose the driving prohibition BUT NOT probation otherwise. Makes a big difference. Being on probation, that is "under a probation order," is a prohibition under the Citizenship Act. Section 22(1)(a)(i) Citizenship Act https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#docCont

Moreover, the odds suggest a significant risk IRCC will take a longer, closer look, and that this will delay processing for some time . . . perhaps until after there is a final disposition of the criminal charge. And even if the conviction is for a summary offence, if probation is imposed, again that is one of the prohibitions and IRCC could proceed to deny the application on that basis (it might delay making a formal decision long enough probation ends, ending the prohibition, which means it is possible to get citizenship EVEN IF probation is imposed . . . but if so, NOT until after probation has ended).

If the worst case in the criminal proceedings is being formally prosecuted as a summary offence (obviously a discharge without conviction would be a better outcome), and there is no period of probation or imprisonment imposed, then yes, this offence itself will not constitute a prohibition under the Citizenship Act.

Bringing this to . . .
"I know that I am not prohibited under citizenship act. My major concern is related to inadmissibility under IRPA if I got conviced of DUI charges after my court final hearing."​

There is no special rule for impaired driving offences that I am aware of. Criminal inadmissibility for a Permanent Resident does NOT depend on whether the offence is an indictable offence or a summary offence. The term of imprisonment determines whether the offence constitutes "serious criminality" and makes a PR inadmissible.

This is Subsection 36(1) IRPA https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont which defines when a PR is inadmissible on grounds of serious criminality. Note that the grounds in this subsection also apply to Foreign Nationals (FNs) . . . remember, PRs are Canadians, NOT FNs.

Subsection 36(2), in contrast, applies to FNs but NOT PRs, and it is subsection 36(2)(a) which prescribes a FN is inadmissible based on convictions for two [summary] offences. This has NO application to PRs.

There are basically two thresholds which trigger serious criminality for a PR.
-- conviction for (or technically just the commission of the acts outside Canada) an offence that is punishable by at least 10 years imprisonment under Canadian law, or​
-- conviction for an offence that results in the imposition of a term of imprisonment for more than six months in Canada​

Thus, for example, if a PR (for whatever reason) is actually sentenced to a term of imprisonment for more than six months, then EVEN IF the offence was prosecuted as a summary offence, that constitutes serious criminality and makes the PR inadmissible.

Note, for example, that the maximum sentence for a simple driving while impaired offence (Section 320.1(1) Criminal Code https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-70.html#docCont is the main offence for run-of-the-mill "impaired" operation offences) prosecuted as a summary offence (under Section 320.19(1)(b) in the Criminal Code) is two years less a day. So, technically it is possible a PR might be sentenced to more than six months imprisonment for a impaired driving offence prosecuted as a summary offence. THIS is NOT LIKELY absent some serious aggravating circumstances.

Some confusion regarding the six month threshold for serious criminality might come from a period of time in which the government was interpreting Section 36(1)(a) IRPA https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont to apply in situations where a sentence of imprisonment is imposed and then suspended on conditions. I believe this is common. The court in effect holds the longer sentence over the defendant's head pending the defendant's cooperation in meeting conditions of sentencing, including probation. I do not have a citation handy but the court definitively rejected that interpretation, and ruled that 36(1)((a) means sentencing for an ACTUAL period of imprisonment more than six months. But for a time, the government (I think this was a Harper government thing) was pursuing inadmissibility proceedings against PRs for relatively minor offences where even no jail time was actually imposed but the court imposed a suspended sentence of more than six months. Which probably applied to many if not most of those convicted of hybrid offences prosecuted as summary offences, such as impaired driving offences.

Edit to add note regarding IRCC and CBSA approach to hybrid offences for purposes of inadmissibility:

Based on subsection 36(3)(a) IRPA (same link as above), for purposes of inadmissibility IRCC and CBSA consider hybrid offences to be indictable offences "even if it has been prosecuted summarily." Not relevant here since, again, the criminal inadmissibility of a PR is based on the term of imprisonment, either the maximum for the offence (ten years is the threshold for serious criminality) or the actual period of imprisonment (more than six months). This does not conflict with the rule affirmed by Dudley, but is a specific instance in which the rule in Dudley does not apply because a particular statutory provision specifies otherwise. There is no comparable statutory provision in the Citizenship Act, so as several cases affirm, the rule affirmed by Dudley does apply for purposes of what is an indictable offence and a prohibition under the Citizenship Act.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

1. Why I mentioned that I am not prohibited under citizenship act - after submitting my court information sheet, there is a note added on my file that 'Not prohibited under citizenship act'.

2. I saw this link under thread shared earlier: https://lss.bc.ca/sites/default/files/inline-files/immigrationConsequencesAtSentencing.pdf
As per this PR will be inadmissible based on IRPA 36, if the indictable version have a 10 year jail imprisonment- even if the case was proceeded summarily.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

1. Why I mentioned that I am not prohibited under citizenship act - after submitting my court information sheet, there is a note added on my file that 'Not prohibited under citizenship act'.

2. I saw this link under thread shared earlier: https://lss.bc.ca/sites/default/files/inline-files/immigrationConsequencesAtSentencing.pdf
As per this PR will be inadmissible based on IRPA 36, if the indictable version have a 10 year jail imprisonment- even if the case was proceeded summarily.
I am not an expert. Not in immigration. And especially NOT in Canadian criminal law.

Peter Edelmann (author of the referenced paper), in contrast, clearly is an expert (and now a B.C. Judge I believe), and very much so in relation to immigration law (I believe he is the founding member of a law firm which is among the leading immigration practices in Canada).

Obviously I defer to his expertise. That said, that paper was presented in 2013 when the Harper government was engaged in aggressively interpreting and applying the law toward stripping PRs of their status. It would be helpful to see a more recent analysis.

After focusing on the particular part of that paper which is relevant to this question some preliminary research confirms, contrary to what I said in the note added in an edit of my previous post, that Subsection 36(3)(a) has been interpreted to apply to how 36(1)(a) affects PRs, and this has been tentatively upheld against Charter challenges.

But the question is a lot more complicated than that. Preliminary research has not indicated that this is actually a problem for PRs convicted of minor driving while impaired offences. Anecdotal reports likewise do not indicate it is a serious criminality problem. BUT . . . more research needs to be done. Which I may have time to do LATER.

For the moment, it appears POSSIBLE but not likely that a single DWI offence would trigger an inadmissibility proceeding for a PR. Lawyers should know more. Any other sources would be helpful.

EDIT to ADD:

This issue has multiple tangents, each complex enough in its own way.

The Edelmann paper, as lawyers are wont to do, focuses on what can POSSIBLY happen, how the law can potentially be interpreted and applied. And its focus was instructing lawyers about potential risks to non-citizen clients in criminal cases (not on how CBSA and IRCC actually apply the law to individual PRs). This is one tangent of the issue.

Apart from that, apart from what is POSSIBLE, there appears to be almost NO source indicating that the government actually proceeds with admissibility hearings against PRs based on isolated summary convictions (let alone just one) for hybrid offences for which imprisonment of ten years could be imposed if prosecuted by indictment (and there was no term of imprisonment for more than six months imposed). Anecdotal reporting similarly fails to indicate any such cases, any cases in which PRs are, for example, subject to an admissibility hearing for serious criminality based on isolated summary convictions which, if prosecuted by indictment, could result in a term of imprisonment for ten years.

Which reinforces the view that while it appears possible (I am not entirely convinced, yet, but again I am NO expert and a lot more research would be necessary to reach a conclusion), it appears highly unlikely that any inadmissibility proceeding would be initiated on the basis of a single summary 320.14(1) DWI conviction. (Obviously, if anyone is aware of any such case, please bring it to the forum's attention.)

It warrants noting, with some emphasis, it appears that most (if not nearly all, if not all) of those cases in which CBSA or IRCC have proceeded with an inadmissibility hearing relying, at least in part, on applying 36(3)(a) against a PR this way, involve either significantly more serious offences or multiple offences, and usually BOTH. And most go back to the Harper government years.

Example of what seems typically representative of such cases, is the Alceus v Canada, 2014 CanLII 96213 https://canlii.ca/t/gl5mg IAD decision. This is an IAD decision so has little weight as a precedent. This was during the Harper years. And it involved a PR with numerous convictions, a significant amount of actual imprisonment (but less than six months), mostly minor drug offences (one no longer a crime), but including weapons charges, uttering threats, and other incidents not resulting in a criminal conviction but illustrating the individual's dangerousness.

That IAD panel specifically referenced the interpretation of 36(1)(a) being discussed here, but cites no legal authority for that.

EDIT re certainty/uncertainty of no prohibition under Citizenship Act:

I put very little stock in the import of GCMS notes. On multiple levels. But especially in regards to prohibitions and background screening. As I noted, if you are convicted and placed on probation, that will constitute a prohibition for as long as you are on probation. No matter what the GCMS record shows today. As I noted, the Crown can re-elect to prosecute by indictment, and if that were to happen (not likely but that door is open), that would constitute a prohibition. Odds are high all is well on the citizenship application front, but well shy of for-sure.

Last edited:

CanVisa101

May 11, 2021
I am not an expert. Not in immigration. And especially NOT in Canadian criminal law.

Peter Edelmann (author of the referenced paper), in contrast, clearly is an expert (and now a B.C. Judge I believe), and very much so in relation to immigration law (I believe he is the founding member of a law firm which is among the leading immigration practices in Canada).

Obviously I defer to his expertise. That said, that paper was presented in 2013 when the Harper government was engaged in aggressively interpreting and applying the law toward stripping PRs of their status. It would be helpful to see a more recent analysis.

After focusing on the particular part of that paper which is relevant to this question some preliminary research confirms, contrary to what I said in the note added in an edit of my previous post, that Subsection 36(3)(a) has been interpreted to apply to how 36(1)(a) affects PRs, and this has been tentatively upheld against Charter challenges.

But the question is a lot more complicated than that. Preliminary research has not indicated that this is actually a problem for PRs convicted of minor driving while impaired offences. Anecdotal reports likewise do not indicate it is a serious criminality problem. BUT . . . more research needs to be done. Which I may have time to do LATER.

For the moment, it appears POSSIBLE but not likely that a single DWI offence would trigger an inadmissibility proceeding for a PR. Lawyers should know more. Any other sources would be helpful.

EDIT to ADD:

This issue has multiple tangents, each complex enough in its own way.

The Edelmann paper, as lawyers are wont to do, focuses on what can POSSIBLY happen, how the law can potentially be interpreted and applied. And its focus was instructing lawyers about potential risks to non-citizen clients in criminal cases (not on how CBSA and IRCC actually apply the law to individual PRs). This is one tangent of the issue.

Apart from that, apart from what is POSSIBLE, there appears to be almost NO source indicating that the government actually proceeds with admissibility hearings against PRs based on isolated summary convictions (let alone just one) for hybrid offences for which imprisonment of ten years could be imposed if prosecuted by indictment (and there was no term of imprisonment for more than six months imposed). Anecdotal reporting similarly fails to indicate any such cases, any cases in which PRs are, for example, subject to an admissibility hearing for serious criminality based on isolated summary convictions which, if prosecuted by indictment, could result in a term of imprisonment for ten years.

Which reinforces the view that while it appears possible (I am not entirely convinced, yet, but again I am NO expert and a lot more research would be necessary to reach a conclusion), it appears highly unlikely that any inadmissibility proceeding would be initiated on the basis of a single summary 320.14(1) DWI conviction. (Obviously, if anyone is aware of any such case, please bring it to the forum's attention.)

It warrants noting, with some emphasis, it appears that most (if not nearly all, if not all) of those cases in which CBSA or IRCC have proceeded with an inadmissibility hearing relying, at least in part, on applying 36(3)(a) against a PR this way, involve either significantly more serious offences or multiple offences, and usually BOTH. And most go back to the Harper government years.

Example of what seems typically representative of such cases, is the Alceus v Canada, 2014 CanLII 96213 https://canlii.ca/t/gl5mg IAD decision. This is an IAD decision so has little weight as a precedent. This was during the Harper years. And it involved a PR with numerous convictions, a significant amount of actual imprisonment (but less than six months), mostly minor drug offences (one no longer a crime), but including weapons charges, uttering threats, and other incidents not resulting in a criminal conviction but illustrating the individual's dangerousness.

That IAD panel specifically referenced the interpretation of 36(1)(a) being discussed here, but cites no legal authority for that.

EDIT re certainty/uncertainty of no prohibition under Citizenship Act:

I put very little stock in the import of GCMS notes. On multiple levels. But especially in regards to prohibitions and background screening. As I noted, if you are convicted and placed on probation, that will constitute a prohibition for as long as you are on probation. No matter what the GCMS record shows today. As I noted, the Crown can re-elect to prosecute by indictment, and if that were to happen (not likely but that door is open), that would constitute a prohibition. Odds are high all is well on the citizenship application front, but well shy of for-sure.
Thanks for doing all the research, I am hoping that this will not cause any hurdle to citizenship application except for minor delays.

Meanwhile I will get consultation from some experienced immigration lawyer too.

yeasir1987

Aug 30, 2018

Hi,

What happened to your case? Did you get citizenship with the DUI case in progress? Or did they held the citizenship till there was an outcome of the case? What was the outcome of your case? I have a similar case and a response would be very helpful.

Reactions: Amrou5789