+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and SIN card Stolen + Name Change

itprosam

Sep 24, 2012
Hi, I have a big issue. To start with first of all my SIN Card has the correct format of my name but my dad misspelled/put wrong format of my name on Citizenship card. So my Middle name became my first and my First name became Middle and was divided into 2 nick names(my real first name).
Second my wallet was stolen containing both IDs and to re-apply I have to apply for Citizenship card first then for SIN card.
Third my Health Card, Sin Card and Passport have my correct Name but not my Citizenship card nor Drivers License.

So my Actual issue is as follows:
When I apply for Citizenship card they request two pieces of ID; Drivers License and Health Card. I also want my name to be corrected but due to my Drivers License name incorrect they will not change it to original form rather than what is on it.
I would like to know a good solid way to go about doing this as I am fed up with my name being wrong on all the Important documents.
I cant change name on Drivers License because they setup the name whatever is on Citizenship card.

So now I am stuck in a loop where I have no clue on how to go fix this.

Please advise. Do ask any questions pertaining to this as I might have forgotten something to mention and would gladly share.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for a new citizenship card but instead of just sending a copy of your drivers license and health card, send copies of everything you have including passport, birth certificate etc. Write a letter stating which name is your correct name and which name is wrong. Tell them that your father made the mistake. Get a statement from your mother or father backing that up. Then send it in and see what happens. Hopefully they will correct it on the citizenship card and then you will be able to change your drivers license.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Do not use Leon's suggestion and "hope for the best". Start with a legal name change at your provincial government, do it right from the beginning:

Step 1: http://www.ontario.ca/en/information_bundle/individuals/119596.html#formalself

Once step 1 is completed, process to change your SIN record, driver's licence, then your citizenship certificate.

Using 2 legal names in this country will only complicate your life here. Have fun cutting the red tapes!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He isn't changing his name though. It is wrong on some of his documents because of a mistake. The proper way would be to correct the mistake, not change his name from something that it never was.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Okay, I read his original message again. (It was hard to understand)

His name is correct on: SIN card, health card and passport.
His name is incorrect on: Driver's licence, citizenship certificate

According to his information, the best thing to do is to correct his name on the driver's licence first by using his passport as photo ID (list 1), and Ontario healthcard + Declaration from a Guarantor SR-LD-4010 (list 2) + Police report. If he doesn't feel like going thru the right channel to change his legal name (using a name change certificate), ask to speak to a manager at the licencing issue office for record amendment.

What about your landing paper or birth certificate?

Running two names in this country is a big hassle!

Leon said:
He isn't changing his name though. It is wrong on some of his documents because of a mistake. The proper way would be to correct the mistake, not change his name from something that it never was.

itprosam

Sep 24, 2012
Yes I am not changing my name, my names was basically put wrong.

Following is what happened exactly
1. My middle name became my first name
2. My first name became my middle name and was divided into 2 parts hence creating 2 seperate names,
i.e. If Johnson is First name they made mistake 'John Son' that was not my Parents mistake this was Government mistake
3. My last name stayed as my last name

I am unable to change my Driver's License as they do not accept Passport as ID they need Citizenship card

I will have to look for my Landing Papers as I landed in 1997 and that was long time ago.

Please advise and again if any questions, concerns or if hard to understand please ask :)

nwtspam said:
Okay, I read his original message again. (It was hard to understand)

His name is correct on: SIN card, health card and passport.
His name is incorrect on: Driver's licence, citizenship certificate

According to his information, the best thing to do is to correct his name on the driver's licence first by using his passport as photo ID (list 1), and Ontario healthcard + Declaration from a Guarantor SR-LD-4010 (list 2) + Police report. If he doesn't feel like going thru the right channel to change his legal name (using a name change certificate), ask to speak to a manager at the licencing issue office for record amendment.

What about your landing paper or birth certificate?

Running two names in this country is a big hassle!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itprosam said:
Yes I am not changing my name, my names was basically put wrong.

Following is what happened exactly
1. My middle name became my first name
2. My first name became my middle name and was divided into 2 parts hence creating 2 seperate names,
i.e. If Johnson is First name they made mistake 'John Son' that was not my Parents mistake this was Government mistake
3. My last name stayed as my last name

I am unable to change my Driver's License as they do not accept Passport as ID they need Citizenship card

I will have to look for my Landing Papers as I landed in 1997 and that was long time ago.

Please advise and again if any questions, concerns or if hard to understand please ask :)
If the mistake goes all the way back to your landing papers in 1997, there is a form to correct that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp

itprosam

Sep 24, 2012
To amend that I looked at the form but it kind of does not apply to me, I just mentioned Landing papers as other user mentioned them. I will try your first option of sending everything in and hope for best, unless there is a solid way to have it changed...

EDIT: Any more suggestions or should I stick to your first suggestion Leon?