+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and "misrepresentation"?

JoE82

Jan 31, 2020
Hey peeps,
I applied for Canadian citizenship early in 2018 after having lived in Canada for the better part of 10 years. It was my home and I felt more Canadian than Swedish. However, shortly after having applied, I went through a personal crisis on several fronts and ended up moving back to Sweden and going back to school for a year. In the meantime, I got invited to do the knowledge test and flew back to Canada to complete that and also do part of my practicum there. After my test, while receiving my score, the immigration rep asked me a few questions and concluded that "strange, you don't really have any ties to Canada", since I wasn't living there, nor working/studying or had a partner there (that one is "complicated"...). This really shook me up, as to me I have really strong emotional ties to Canada and I have worked hard for years to be able to become a citizen one day. In spite of her statement, I was still approved and invited to a ceremony only weeks after. Since I'm currently residing in Sweden and don't know when or if I'll be moving back anytime soon, I've postponed the date for the ceremony until now. But before I fly out there, I need to know that I'm not committing a crime by collecting my citizenship while living abroad. I thought I read somewhere that you do not need to prove intent to live in Canada while also being a citizen? I love Canada and I want to be able to come and go as I please in the future as well, as it is my second home. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed to make sure it's all done correctly, without risking losing my citizenship?

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey peeps,
I applied for Canadian citizenship early in 2018 after having lived in Canada for the better part of 10 years. It was my home and I felt more Canadian than Swedish. However, shortly after having applied, I went through a personal crisis on several fronts and ended up moving back to Sweden and going back to school for a year. In the meantime, I got invited to do the knowledge test and flew back to Canada to complete that and also do part of my practicum there. After my test, while receiving my score, the immigration rep asked me a few questions and concluded that "strange, you don't really have any ties to Canada", since I wasn't living there, nor working/studying or had a partner there (that one is "complicated"...). This really shook me up, as to me I have really strong emotional ties to Canada and I have worked hard for years to be able to become a citizen one day. In spite of her statement, I was still approved and invited to a ceremony only weeks after. Since I'm currently residing in Sweden and don't know when or if I'll be moving back anytime soon, I've postponed the date for the ceremony until now. But before I fly out there, I need to know that I'm not committing a crime by collecting my citizenship while living abroad. I thought I read somewhere that you do not need to prove intent to live in Canada while also being a citizen? I love Canada and I want to be able to come and go as I please in the future as well, as it is my second home. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed to make sure it's all done correctly, without risking losing my citizenship?
You already told the officer that you are not living in Canada. There is no misrepresentation here.

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey peeps,

Short answer is that you're fine. You haven't misrepresented in any way (based on what you wrote here).

The intention to reside was an old requirement (prior to bill C-5) and is now removed. You can attend your citizenship ceremony with a peaceful mind and enjoy your Canadian citizenship.

Reactions: 65578ghj