+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and Baby Sponsorship

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
Hello, I've been a Canada PR since 2009 and just now applying for Citizenship. I'm sponsoring my child who is 1 and was born in the US to become a Canada PR, my wife is already a PR as well, she just landed on Aug 2019. My PR is about to expire in Jan 2021, so my questions are:

1. When I apply for Citizenship, given that processing is delayed because of covid, do I still need to renew my PR card?

2. When my child becomes a PR and me a Citizen, will he still need to be in Canada for 1,095 days before applying for Citizenship himself?

Thank you.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. Your PR status does not expire with your PR card. The card is only a travel document that allows you to return to Canada. If you do not plan to leave Canada before becoming a citizen, you do not necessarily need to renew your card; however, it would be good to have a valid one anyways.
2. Yes.

Reactions: MarcusErectus

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
For the 2nd question : no. Minor children of Canadian citizen (or minor kids applying for citizenship with their PR parents) don't have a physical presence requirement. You can apply for your kid's citizenship at the exact moment he gets his PR if you're a citizen yourself.

Reactions: MarcusErectus

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
For the 2nd question : no. Minor children of Canadian citizen (or minor kids applying for citizenship with their PR parents) don't have a physical presence requirement. You can apply for your kid's citizenship at the exact moment he gets his PR if you're a citizen yourself.
Thank you for this info.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, if OP becomes a citizen before the child becomes a PR. But typically a minor who is not applying for citizenship at the same time as the parent must meet the physical presence requirement.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Also works if OP becomes a citizen after his child gets a PR. He can apply right after the oath ceremony :)
Good luck!

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
Thanks!

And yeah that's not going to be anytime soon since I heard that Citizenship tests and/or oath-taking is currently not being held because of covid, hopefully it's not the same for PR application.